2010 Midfield(s) - Rate

Remove this Banner Ad

If I had a choice between St Kilda or Hawthorns midfield, I would take Hawthorns without question. With Gibson, and a likely fit Croad, Hodge should be back in the midfield where he belongs. Hodge, Mitchell, Sewell and Burgoyne is better than Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna and Goddard IMO. Hawthorn also IMO has more depth, when you go to Lewis, Bateman, Ellis, Shiels, Rioli, Young. And completely aside from that have more potential by virtue of being younger.

In fact with Burgoyne, the Hawks are very close to the Cats. It should be easily Cats, Hawks.

Saints clearly second best after geelong, maybe even as good. practically our entire midfield was all australian and those that weren't are Ball, Lovett and Jones (not a gun, but one of the best taggers)

1. Geelong - Ablett, Selwood, Bartel, Ling, Corey and Chapman
2. St Kilda - Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Goddard, Lovett and Ball.
3. West. Bulldogs - Cooney, Griffen, Cross, Boyd, Higgins and Akermanis.
4. Hawthorn - Mitchell, Sewell, Burgoyne, Lewis, Hodge and Bateman.
6. Collingwood - Swan, Pendlebury, Didak, Davis, O'Bree and Johnson.
5. Carlton - Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, McLean, Simpson and Carrazzo.
7. Adelaide - Thompson, Vince, Van Berlo, Edwards, McLeod and Goodwin.
8. Brisbane - Black, Power, Rich, Johnstone, Sherman and Rischitelli
9. Essendon - Watson, Prismall, McVeigh, Winderlich, Welsh and Stanton.
10. Sydney - Kirk, Bolton, Goodes, McVeigh, O'Keefe and Bird.

Very tough, Geelong are a little ahead of St. Kilda, then there is a fair drop to the Western Bulldogs and Hawthorn, Collingwood a little further back with Carlton and Adelaide both hot on their tail, a fair drop to Brisbane, Essendon and Sydney who are all competitive without being outstanding in my opinion.

Somes sides possessing plenty of potential in the ensuing years outside of the top 10. Melbourne are set to stock up with the country's 2 most promising mids in this November draft, West Coast and Fremantle have a plethora of top midfield draft picks (which obviously don't necessarily equate to success) while Port Adelaide, North Melbourne and Richmond are at the tail of the field for midfield potential.

2. St Kilda - Hayes, Dal Santo, Montagna, Goddard, Lovett and Ball.
4. Hawthorn - Mitchell, Sewell, Burgoyne, Lewis, Hodge and Bateman.
Hayes > Mitchell
Dal Santo < Sewell
Montagna = Burgoyne (Both had 1 stand out year)
Goddard < Hodge
Lovett = Bateman (Maybe slightly in lovetts favour)
Ball < Lewis (Would have been Ball but with his injury he isn't a shadow of his former self)

I fail to see how St Kildas is "easily" better than ours.

Hayes > Mitchell
Dal Santo < Sewell
Goddard < Hodge
Ball < Lewis (Would have been Ball but with his injury he isn't a shadow of his former self)

Not "easily". I should've made it clearer that I thought the top 7 had a fair gap over the rest. I'd have Dal Santo and Sewell breaking even, I love both players though. I'd also have Montagna ahead of Burgoyne, Montagna was also awesome in '07. I didn't think Lewis had a great '09 either therefore I'd still have Ball over Lewis, probably more upside to Lewis but I was trying to skip the fine line between potential and seasonal form, it's a tough gig and there are arguments for either side.

I don't think so, not in 2010.

Adelaide - Thompson, Vince, Mackay, Dangerfield, Van Berlo, Otten.

That's more than fair to adjust the make up of your midfield but I was trying to avoid placing potential stars in the mix if they weren't already playing in the engine room, full time.

You would know better than I would but I'd be extremely surprised if Otten played midfield, he's too light at this stage and will be easily pushed off the ball.

It will certainly be interesting to see how the Carlton go, they were consistently bullied last year but showed glimpses. The question is whether they can draw a line in the sand and have that one or two breakout games.

Brisbane did it...West Coast did it and Geelong did it...

Hayes > Mitchell
Dal Santo < Sewell
Goddard < Hodge

Ill do the real one buddy
Dal Santo = Sewell
Montagna > Burgoyne (atm)
Goddard > Hodge (atm, goddard made all australian hodge didnt k..)
Lovett = Bateman
Ball = Lewis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally Posted by ok.crows
I don't think so, not in 2010.

Adelaide - Thompson, Vince, Mackay, Dangerfield, Van Berlo, Otten.

That's more than fair to adjust the make up of your midfield but I was trying to avoid placing potential stars in the mix if they weren't already playing in the engine room, full time.

The names I quoted, apart from Otten, are already Adelaide's full-time midfield. This year Dangerfield didn't quite have the tank required for a full-time midfield role, but he should have next year. Goodwin, Edwards and McLeod haven't played midfield full time in years.

You would know better than I would but I'd be extremely surprised if Otten played midfield, he's too light at this stage and will be easily pushed off the ball.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16094667&postcount=22

Have a look at this list, and by clicking on the column headings sort it by weight and then by height:

http://www.afc.com.au/players/tabid/4502/category/senior/season/2009/default.aspx

Of the six names I listed for Adelaide's 2010 midfield, Otten is the tallest and heaviest player.

Number 22: Otten, Andy; Height: 192 Weight: 87

Perhaps you meant Mackay.

Number 14: Mackay, David; Height: 181 Weight: 72

The problem there is that Mackay already does play full-time in Adelaide's midfield. I believe he came second for running bounces in the AFL this year.

Ill do the real one buddy
Dal Santo = Sewell
Montagna > Burgoyne (atm)
Goddard > Hodge (atm, goddard made all australian hodge didnt k..)
Lovett = Bateman
Ball = Lewis
atm? I would say his season this year has eclipsed anything Hodge has done in the midfield. Hawk supporters forget the reason Hodge has played the loose man role the last couple of seasons has been because he couldn't handle the tag in the midfield.

I reckon Burgoyne at his best is one of the best on ballers in the competition, so I would have him easily over Montagna.

The names I quoted, apart from Otten, are already Adelaide's full-time midfield. This year Dangerfield didn't quite have the tank required for a full-time midfield role, but he should have next year. Goodwin, Edwards and McLeod haven't played midfield full time in years.

Have a look at this list, and by clicking on the column headings sort it by weight and then by height:

http://www.afc.com.au/players/tabid/4502/category/senior/season/2009/default.aspx

Of the six names I listed for Adelaide's 2010 midfield, Otten is the tallest and heaviest player.

Number 22: Otten, Andy; Height: 192 Weight: 87

The opposition will match him up with a player of a similar size, he'd be the lightest player on our senior list 190cm or more, the lightest is David Myers at 190cm is only 85kg.

Mackay does play full-time in Adelaide's midfield

Number 14: Mackay, David; Height: 181 Weight: 72

Mackay was 11th in average disposals, with the exception of Bock and Johncock who are in the backline, the players above him may not be classed as genuine midfielders these days but when you're putting a list together surely you'd prefer to have McLeod, Goodwin and Edwards named ahead of Mackay, who is promising nevertheless.

I reckon Burgoyne at his best is one of the best on ballers in the competition, so I would have him easily over Montagna.

I can't agree with this assessment. Burgoyne has always had difficulty getting his own ball because he's a squib. He's never consistently raked up big numbers like all the other a-grade/top-line midfielders. He's good but there is no way he is one of the best and never has been - in my opinion.

Mackay was 11th in average disposals, with the exception of Bock and Johncock who are in the backline, the players above him may not be classed as genuine midfielders these days but when you're putting a list together surely you'd prefer to have McLeod, Goodwin and Edwards named ahead of Mackay, who is promising nevertheless.
Nope. Mackay is always in the midfield, and McLeod, Goodwin and Edwards only rarely. This will only become moreso the case in 2010.

Let me also point out that in 2010, a midfield comprising: Vince, Thompson, Mackay, VanBerlo, Dangerfield and Otten as the primary members, with cameo appearances from the likes of Reilly, Doughty, Douglas, Porplyzia and Petrenko, will be far more potent than any combination that includes McLeod, Goodwin or Edwards.

Well, OK, to be fair, maybe Edwards. You might see Edwards in the midfield every now and then.

The opposition will match him up with a player of a similar size, he'd be the lightest player on our senior list 190cm or more, the lightest is David Myers at 190cm is only 85kg.

Weight is weight. Otten is most decidely NOT too light to play midfield.

His height is another matter. Often players that are too tall lack the requisite skills, speed or agility to be effective midfielders. Otten is not troubled by those deficiencies I feel, he is actually very evasive and can run and carry the ball quite well, as well as being a fair mark, and as such he could be a very effective addition to the Crows midfiled.

I can't agree with this assessment. Burgoyne has always had difficulty getting his own ball because he's a squib. He's never consistently raked up big numbers like all the other a-grade/top-line midfielders. He's good but there is no way he is one of the best and never has been - in my opinion.
Brent Harvey never gets his own ball, but in '07,'08 was one of the premier midfielders in the comp.

Well you're either too young to remember or have simply forgotten when he was widely regarded as equal to Judd. He may not have had an excellent year in 2009 but he still has the traits of an elite midfielder. All he needs is a new bill of health and the ball in his hands.

Don't get ahead of yourself sonny. Geelong would have one of the better midfileds of all time, and they are still only young.

I could see you being better than St.Kilda's, although if Lovett steps up and Ball stays it won't happen.

Sonny?? Nice call.:rolleyes:

I am pretty confident that as many as 4 of our midfielders will improve next year... I don't think you can say the same about yours (not that Ablett in particular needs too.)

Sonny?? Nice call.:rolleyes:

I am pretty confident that as many as 4 of our midfielders will improve next year... I don't think you can say the same about yours (not that Ablett in particular needs too.)
What about Selwood? Players don't usually hit their peak till about 23-25. Also for most of this year we had Bartel & Corey covering our injuries in defence, so our structure should be alot stronger in that aspect next year.

Hodge is very overated, and he doesn't really play midfield, he's too fat. If Hodge was such a great midfielder then thats where he'd be played. he's ok in th ebackline, but why is he a gun midfielder? he's a part time midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Midfield(s) - Rate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back