Toast 2011 Draft Pick #64 - Cameron Ellis-Yolmen

Remove this Banner Ad

No he has been playing footy a long time. I recollect that he played juniors with Lockleys for quite a while, til about the age of 14 and he was a sensation then- fast, great endurance, and a ball magnet. He was tall and skinny for his age, and he had a shock of thick brown curly hair, hence the nickname which has obviously stuck. I think he moved to Flinders Park FC as part of his junior development whilst on the W/WT under16's list.

Thanks for that heads up and welcome to the board....err, your initials aren't CEY by any chance? :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indigenous peoples are "normally" quite reserved,shy and have minimal eye contact.

It is part of aboriginal culture to avoid being too direct. Direct discussion and eye contact is seen as disrespectful and even aggressive. McLeod took a long time to adjust. There are a lot of other barriers in aboriginal culture that we just don't understand. It should really be taught in school.

Cross Cultural understanding is an issue. There is also a further consideration of the amount of discomfort country people face when hit with city sterility, crowds, minimal space unfriendliness..... It's a huge transition. Tex cops alot. It is not fair. Ahh the city slickers v's the county bumbkins.

It is part of aboriginal culture to avoid being too direct. Direct discussion and eye contact is seen as disrespectful and even aggressive. McLeod took a long time to adjust. There are a lot of other barriers in aboriginal culture that we just don't understand. It should really be taught in school.
Parents have role to not only educate themselves but to give their children some real learning experiences with many cultures. Some things are not class room based. Travel to the un known is the greatest gift.

Last edited:
Parents have role to not only educate themselves but to give their children some real learning experiences with many cultures. Some things are not class room based. Travel to the the known is the greatest gift.

Yeah, but how many parents are going to do that? It wouldn't be hard to throw a couple of mandatory aboriginal culture classes into school.

Goodesy has adjusted OK :)

As much as I love McLeod it's disappointing in a way that he didn't put himself forward for a captaincy role at the club.

Surely the indigenous AFL community needs pioneers. People to thrust themselves out of their comfort zone and INTO the limelight, into coaching roles, into captaincy roles, into media roles, into other prominent roles around the game. Rather than shying away from these roles. Oh... he's a bit shy... it's not his culture... prefers to be in the background... let his actions do the talking.

We do see indigenous former players in coaching roles... but only in specific indigenous coaching ones. Media roles... but only on the Margrook show. Assistant coaching... but only mentoring work with young indigenous draftees. These token bits and pieces roles around the periphery of the industry.

When are we going to have an indigenous AFL coach? Commentators? Journalists? Roles with the AFL that aren't specific "Misfud" type ones? I'm sure I've missed a few and there are indigenous former players filling various roles around the country but given that 10% (or more?) of the players are indiegnous I highly doubt that 10% of the coaching, media, admin roles that are filled by former players are filled by indigenous people.

As if McLeod wouldn't be a good coach. His handful of media appearances like his commentary stuff on 5aa was gold. Why so little of it? I hope Betts is eyeing off a coaching role after he's finished. He'd already be 10x the Forward Coach that Bickley was.

As much as I love McLeod it's disappointing in a way that he didn't put himself forward for a captaincy role at the club.

Surely the indigenous AFL community needs pioneers. People to thrust themselves out of their comfort zone and INTO the limelight, into coaching roles, into captaincy roles, into media roles, into other prominent roles around the game. Rather than shying away from these roles. Oh... he's a bit shy... it's not his culture... prefers to be in the background... let his actions do the talking.

We do see indigenous former players in coaching roles... but only in specific indigenous coaching ones. Media roles... but only on the Margrook show. Assistant coaching... but only mentoring work with young indigenous draftees. These token bits and pieces roles around the periphery of the industry.

When are we going to have an indigenous AFL coach? Commentators? Journalists? Roles with the AFL that aren't specific "Misfud" type ones? I'm sure I've missed a few and there are indigenous former players filling various roles around the country but given that 10% (or more?) of the players are indiegnous I highly doubt that 10% of the coaching, media, admin roles that are filled by former players are filled by indigenous people.

As if McLeod wouldn't be a good coach. His handful of media appearances like his commentary stuff on 5aa was gold. Why so little of it? I hope Betts is eyeing off a coaching role after he's finished. He'd already be 10x the Forward Coach that Bickley was.

It just wasn't his personality or part of his culture to "put himself forward". Roo on Fox said that he (Roo) was a very direct leader and said stuff straight out to people but McLeod was better at the interpersonal stuff, getting around players and coaxing them. I don't think that excluded him from being a leader, he was highly regarded as a leader at the Crows and he was in the leadership group. He also captained the International Rules and All Stars teams. If it were'nt for Roo he would have probably been the Crows captain.

I'm not sure about coaching to be honest, but coaching is a very intense job that may clash a little with some of the aboriginal culture. Like I said before, direct communication is often uncomfortable in aboriginal culture as is pressure around "time". In a sense it's an admirable thing to have a culture where relationships are more important than time, outcomes, tasks, standards, rules and things.

It just wasn't his personality or part of his culture to "put himself forward". Roo on Fox said that he (Roo) was a very direct leader and said stuff straight out to people but McLeod was better at the interpersonal stuff, getting around players and coaxing them. I don't think that excluded him from being a leader, he was highly regarded as a leader at the Crows and he was in the leadership group. He also captained the International Rules and All Stars teams. If it were'nt for Roo he would have probably been the Crows captain.

I'm not sure about coaching to be honest, but coaching is a very intense job that may clash a little with some of the aboriginal culture. Like I said before, direct communication is often uncomfortable in aboriginal culture as is pressure around "time". In a sense it's an admirable thing to have a culture where relationships are more important than time, outcomes, tasks, standards, rules and things.
Is it a culture that is holding indigenous people back?

Is it part of their DNA or a "learned behaviour" that has come from being discriminated against for the last (relatively) brief part of their history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast 2011 Draft Pick #64 - Cameron Ellis-Yolmen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back