2011 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

kicked 27 goals in 13 wafl games which is better than any freo player this year.

Not to mention that Keps went a whole month and a half without a goal in wafl and afl and still got his regular gig back.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying any of our players are the messiah, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more / less of some of our players next year now that they have a fresh set of coaching eyes on them...

We didn't exactly have a lot of players playing regular WAFL footy though. JA still played second fiddle to Blake Broadhurst. Serious question, what do you think Keplar Bradley is earning?

That's what I'm hoping.

That is entirely the point that I am trying to make.

Palmer should have been played in any position that would have given us the best chance to win in every game we played.

Tarrant went home at the end of 2010 but we still played him as a defender.

That's a matter of opinion. Others would argue that if he's no longer part of the club then we should give younger players a go in the midfield. It would be hard to drop Palmer though because we wouldn't want GWS changing their mind. There is seriously no point in arguing about 2011. It was a horror season with soooo many injuries and ended in a big drop down the ladder and a sacked coach. I hope JA can turn it around but I'm sure he was not given games for a reason... I mean we have all heard the rumours about his attitute.

While other people spent the remaining $3 on a bus ticket and avoided walking altogether:thumbsu:

You catch a bus up the main street of Gnowangerup ....rumour has it one might pass by next Wednesday.

That's the analogy - you've got $3 but you're in Gnowangerup so you should buy the meat raffle ticket.

JA is a raffle ticket.

To be fair, Who knows why JA didn't get more time this year though?

Mayne played as the full forward for almost the entire year while Kep, Pav and JA were all fit, so I think its just ignorant to say that he's overpaid because he was only given a couple of games.

Also the games he did play in, the entire team was woeful, so he was dropped unfairly imo.

I can't agree that it is ignorant to say he was overpaid. I would actually think it is an indisputable fact that he was overpaid. If someone is getting paid handsomely, and don't play accordingly, then I can't see how you can argue otherwise. It is irrelevant whether he "should" have played more. The facts are he didn't, therefore it is a fact that he was overpaid.

I think people seem to want to support the club blindly with every decision, and that is great in many ways, but there still comes a time to judge matters objectively. Anthony was a massive mistake. And this wasn't a mistake you can only see with hindsight.

He wasn't good enough for Collingwood, and he really didn't have a place in our side. I could see that before the season started, I was bemused why people thought he was automatic best 22. His season panned out almost exactly like I predicted. The club made a big error of judgement. He was surplus to our needs. Our forward line was fine without him in early 2010. The main problem was moving Pavlich into the midfield to cover for injuries. Bringing Anthony in as some kind of cover for this was short-sighted and ultimately costly. His only real value is as a defender, but now that we are bringing in Dawson, this diminishes Anthony's worth even further.

It is one thing to pay McPhee and Dawson $350k per year. That is still too much for my liking, they should be more in the region of $250k per year, but at least they will be in the 22 (I am conceding that on Dawson despite not rating him). And McPhee is on his last year, I think? But Anthony ... that $300-$350k (for a WAFL player) would be much better spent on other players, or towards snaring a gun free agent. Can't understand how anyone could think otherwise.

I can't agree that it is ignorant to say he was overpaid. I would actually think it is an indisputable fact that he was overpaid. If someone is getting paid handsomely, and don't play accordingly, then I can't see how you can argue otherwise. It is irrelevant whether he "should" have played more. The facts are he didn't, therefore it is a fact that he was overpaid.

I think people seem to want to support the club blindly with every decision, and that is great in many ways, but there still comes a time to judge matters objectively. Anthony was a massive mistake. And this wasn't a mistake you can only see with hindsight.

He wasn't good enough for Collingwood, and he really didn't have a place in our side. I could see that before the season started, I was bemused why people thought he was automatic best 22. His season panned out almost exactly like I predicted. The club made a big error of judgement. He was surplus to our needs. Our forward line was fine without him in early 2010. The main problem was moving Pavlich into the midfield to cover for injuries. Bringing Anthony in as some kind of cover for this was short-sighted and ultimately costly. His only real value is as a defender, but now that we are bringing in Dawson, this diminishes Anthony's worth even further.

It is one thing to pay McPhee and Dawson $350k per year. That is still too much for my liking, they should be more in the region of $250k per year, but at least they will be in the 22 (I am conceding that on Dawson despite not rating him). And McPhee is on his last year, I think? But Anthony ... that $300-$350k (for a WAFL player) would be much better spent on other players, or towards snaring a gun free agent. Can't understand how anyone could think otherwise.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately I am feeling the same unease about Dawson as I was about Anthony this time last year. On both occasions it hasn't been a question of whether they are best 22 or not, rather the character they bring to the club. I'm a firm believer in the 'no dic#eads' policy. Still, I suppose we have to assume that Lyon feels the StKilda photo thing was out of character for him.

Have we ever lost anyone due to salary cap? Fabian Francis I guess. My problems with JA is not what he is paid. It is that we recruited a mature player who is not good enough.

On your post Ysaye, about taking a "very small player". Would you reckon the expectation would be for one of Walters and Newman to play predominantly midfield? Don't know too much about Newman but I've read he's been typecast as a small foward?

From what I've read Devon Smith sounds like he'd be a good get, Chris25 seems to rate him highly as well.

On your post Ysaye, about taking a "very small player". Would you reckon the expectation would be for one of Walters and Newman to play predominantly midfield? Don't know too much about Newman but I've read he's been typecast as a small foward?

From what I've read Devon Smith sounds like he'd be a good get, Chris25 seems to rate him highly as well.

I think the expectation would be of a player that can alternate between crumbing forward and part time midfield. There should be a stack of really good types of this sort of player around our first and second picks, and we have enough height in our current list that we could probably afford to take one (assuming they meet the prerequisites of having both pace and a high skill level).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagle eye on young Swan Newman

There is strong speculation that the Eagles are keen to recruit him at pick 23 or 28 after being impressed by his pace, skill and poise.

Sounds like he may go higher on draft day. Just because all the Victorian centic BF Phantom drafts have him higher up in the draft doesn't mean clubs recruiters don't rate him higher than many Vic prospects.

Had a really good season for Souths. Plays as a half back and wingman. Played well in the state game but wasn't very prominent in the final after a blinder of a second half the week before. Don't know if he had a shut down role. Tall, good pace and skilled. Would like to have, personally.
I think Freo will try to rookie him if he's still there,I think he has all the tools to succeed ,has grown up a bit and would lap up a second chance in the big league........its a yes from me

I think Freo will try to rookie him if he's still there,I think he has all the tools to succeed ,has grown up a bit and would lap up a second chance in the big league........its a yes from me

Wouldn't mind him at 71. If he is good enough, he is ready to go. Interesting to see how our recruiters rate him.

Rookie prospect. He's just one of literally hundreds of names thrown up and can be easily overlooked just like every other prospect, mature aged or youngster. half these players won't even get picked up so I wouldn't have any worries about looking at someone like this during the rookie draft.

Thought Nelson was 179cm? Although I know it is hard to argue that 2cm would make a huge difference...

I agree and that's why it pisses me off when recruiters say a forward at 191cm's is too short to be a key forward yet 192-193cm's is KP height. The AFL website has Shane Nelson listed as both 177cm's/69Kg's & 179cm's/73Kg's.

I agree and that's why it pisses me off when recruiters say a forward at 191cm's is too short to be a key forward yet 192-193cm's is KP height. The AFL website has Shane Nelson listed as both 177cm's/69Kg's & 179cm's/73Kg's.

I think it's because you can get away with being 192/193 against a 194/195 player, but not if you are 190/191. 4 - 5cm is a pretty big difference.

I think it's because you can get away with being 192/193 against a 194/195 player, but not if you are 190/191. 4 - 5cm is a pretty big difference.

Josh Gibson should of been All Australian this year and he is 189Cm's. There are so many ways to overcome a couple of cm's. Being faster, having a better leap, being stronger, longer arms, skill and smarts. Fevola was 191cm's.

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back