2011 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on who might fill the rookie list. With four to possibly six places available where are the players going to come from? Downgrades, mature agers..? Any ideas on who might be targeted for the rookie list?

I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on who might fill the rookie list. With four to possibly six places available where are the players going to come from? Downgrades, mature agers..? Any ideas on who might be targeted for the rookie list?

I would like to give Tyler Chalwell a shot on the rookie list. Seems to have had a fairly consistent season with East Freo reserves. A young, athletic KPD is also exactly what we need.

I don't think there is a huge difference between the two. With priority picks and all the other teams using compensation picks next year, that pick would still be in the 20s. And there is no guarantee we would use it next year either - maybe we'll bank it to avoid the rush of the other compensation picks being used.

Also, I would be tempted to go best available (whatever that is) this year and try my luck with talls later on. Wouldn't surprise me if a Lockyer or McInnes (or another highly rated tall from interstate) was to make their way to our second round pick. There are also some later round KPPs with potential, including some mature guys.

Very unlikely. Regardless of how he performs at the draft combine, someone will draft him based purely on his name - before the rookie draft that is.

If you had the dilemma of having to choose one of Lockyer , mcinnes or kersten with our second pick regardless of who we picked with pick 16 ,
Who would you go for?

Where our list is at I would hope we turn away from mature age and just lock in a few youngsters with potential.

A pre-emptive raid on likely improvers for the following draft.

out of those videos for talls i like the look of sma frost, can play at either end and very athletic, jackson paine, good contested grab and mobile, and julian dobosz very mobile also. As for mids we are really looking for clearance players and out of those i like clay smith, shane nelson and taylor adams, all looked very good in traffic and clearances. would be happy with one of those talls and one of those mids for our first two picks. What are the chances of us getting two of them Chris??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Jackson Paine. Of those talls you mentioned, he'd be the most likely to go first round. Dobosz could very well go between our first and second picks, Frost has the best chance of lasting until our second.

Smith, Nelson and Adams are all sort of in that fringe first round group. Adams will probably go the earliest, with Nelson perhaps the most likely to drop to our second pick. But those types are always harder to place.

Where our list is at I would hope we turn away from mature age and just lock in a few youngsters with potential.

I would be sticking with kids in the national draft, but would have no problems with going older in the rookie draft. Guess it depends on if we keep Roberts (we better) and if we re-draft Houghton/Hinkley as rookies.

Think I've talked about Haydn Busher and Tom Lee enough, and there are a few mature aged midfielders I'd happily rookie list. Also get used to me talking up Cam Shenton. :thumbsu:

Do you think we could offer GWS a trade for both Mason Shaw, via the mini-draft and someone like Blackwell (who I'm not sold on) [a proven, 6' ball winning runner] through their pre-listed player allowance?

It wouldn't give us a player up front for next year, but it might allow the flexibility to pick up the best available at pick 16... if we even have it.

I thought O'Meara and Shaw were two of the underage options for the GWS mini draft?

I mean;
Get the underage key position player who kicked 7 in a grand final, like Fyfe did, via the mini draft pick #2. Assuming we can't get pick #1 (O'Meara)

Then, to pick up some midfield depth, trade for a mature player that isn't a short, ball winning, clanger merchant with the prelisting option trades with GWS.

We'd go into the draft without so much pressure to pick up a key position player, unless we can get Kersten and have two WA boys who already know how to play together and are, hopefully, competitive enough with each other that they'll push the other to excellence.

Yeah, i'd be cool with still going for a later minidraft pick and getting Shaw, and then getting Kersten in the draft. I could see it like a Franklin/Roughead drafting plan. At least one of them is bound to be a gem.

If this happened I wouldn't want to bother with Houghton on the rookie list though.

Yeah, i'd be cool with still going for a later minidraft pick and getting Shaw, and then getting Kersten in the draft. I could see it like a Franklin/Roughead drafting plan. At least one of them is bound to be a gem.

If this happened I wouldn't want to bother with Houghton on the rookie list though.

Agreed.

I'd want to find another Lower, 20-24 tall midfielder.

I can see Walters getting another year, no dramas with that.
Might have to think about seeing how Clancee goes as a permanent back pocket/defender.
Not sure if he is quick enough for it, certainly robust enough

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 Drafting, Trading, List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back