News 2012 Media Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Thought id get new thread going as we hit 1000 posts in other one, and now ill be able to see it when using TapaTalk!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...wn-amid-shake-up/story-e6frf9jf-1226449605390

ST KILDA vice-president and legal trouble-shooter Ross Levin is stepping down after 13 years.
Fellow director John Gdanski will also retire at the end of the season as the Saints look to rejuvenate their board.

Levin oversaw St Kilda's handling of a series of events including the Stephen Milne and Leigh Montagna rape investigation, the sackings of Malcolm Blight, Grant Thomas and Andrew Lovett, and the "St Kilda schoolgirl" saga.

"It's a perfect time to leave the club in such a strong off-field position," Levin said yesterday.

"The 13 years has been a great privilege."

President Greg Westaway is set to serve one more season.

Other St Kilda directors include Coles head Ian McLeod, AV Jennings chief Peter Summers, former players Andrew Thompson and Nathan Burke and CEO Michael Nettlefold.

The club is on track to record a tidy profit this year, despite failing to secure a co-major sponsor to join gambling giant Centrebet.

Star utility Brendon Goddard is yet to sign a new contract, but says he wants to stay a Saint.

The author is Meg Griffin? :D

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/144476/default.aspx

Tom Curren has been consistent for Sandringham all season, and the weekend’s clash with Collingwood was no different with a 34 disposal performance.

The midfielder was among the best on ground, laying three tackles and gathering the most touches, which included eight kicks alone in the final quarter.

“Personally it was better than the last couple of weeks. I just wanted to come back and crumb myself into a bit of form coming into the finals.”

Jaymie Graham “The back six actually played pretty well as a group. Ferguson was good again; Shenton had a job on Krakouer and did a fantastic job. Through the middle we had Newnes who played really well in the limited game time he had and up forward the talls were able to provide a target which was good.”

Meg Griffin again :p
St Kilda’s chance of a finals berth rides on the Saints winning their three remaining matches, starting with a tough challenge against Geelong on Friday night according to star midfielder Nick Dal Santo.

Currently sitting one game outside the eight the Saints cannot afford to drop one of their remaining games.

“Our equation’s pretty simple. We just need to win the remaining three games of the year to give ourselves an opportunity come September but we’ve got a big game this weekend there’s no doubt about that,” Dal Santo said on Tuesday morning.

“We have had some really good challenges in the past against them and they’ve obviously won quite a few of them but we think our preparation over the past month has been really solid as has theirs so we’re expecting a good game.”

If the Saints do make it to September action, Dal Santo believes his team has as much chance as anyone to compete for the elusive premiership, but for now he is focusing on the next three weekends.

“I think that any team that makes the final eight will be a chance to play the last weekend in September. It’s just been that sort of year. There’s been a lot of upsets.”

“Our main focus now is to just make sure we can get there and we’ve got a lot of work to do.”

“Three weekends of football to get there and three tough games to get there so I think once we get there, if we get there, we’ll start assessing those (teams) but we give ourselves a chance against most clubs.”​

Maybe Gerard Healy will apologise after Brad Scott apologises (for slinging Lenny into a fence and breaking his wrist). For a couple of tough guys, they certainly sook alot.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...rom-gerard-healy/story-e6frepex-1226449891909

Geelong coach Chris Scott took umbrage with commentator Gerard Healy on Monday night when he appeared on Fox Footy's On the Couch.

Scott was unimpressed when Healy made a link between the reprimand handed to Joel Selwood yesterday and the infamous treatment dished out to St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt by the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba in 2005.

Healy said the rule was brought in after "Chris and his brother attacked Nick Riewoldt up on the Gold Coast."

The mistake was that Chris Scott, who was sitting opposite Healy when the remark was made, and Mal Michael were the perpetrators on that occasion and not North Melbourne coach Brad Scott.

The Cats premiership coach bit his tongue until the very end of the interview, before saying: "Are you going to apologise to Brad?"

Here is interview with Steven Sziller the club did. I can take credit for giving them the idea & player! Hopefully few more players from 90's will be done!

“My most memorable memory would have to be grand final week. Not the result but the build-up to the game and all the excitement that was around the club and the players,” Steven told saints.com.au.

With a lot of debate recently on the tempo of AFL changing over the years, we asked what Steven thought and he believes it has changed from his playing days.

“I think that the game has got a lot faster and I think the skill level is a lot better than what it used to be.”

“I enjoy watching the Saints games in particular and watching players like Lenny Hayes go hard at the ball.”

READ MORE - http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/144688/default.aspx

Sam bails out

MATURE-aged rookies tend to find their way into the AFL system after years of persistence through crushed hopes.

But Sam Dunell takes a more realistic view of his late arrival to the AFL scene, admitting it took him longer than usual to develop.

"I definitely wasn't ready at the end of school. I was a late developer and it took me until my 19th and 20th year before I really shot up and grew," Dunell told AFL.com.au.

Here is interview with Steven Sziller the club did.

It's one of the things many clubs seem to struggle with (keeping former players in the fold). Maybe it's distrust - I guess you don't know whether they are working for another club?

This is a great initiative, and the Sizzler was one of my favourites. I never knew why Blight didn't want to keep him, other than the fact the rat's tossbag made an arse of himself as a commentator (couldn't pronounce his name!).

Sziller ended up playing a full season for Richmond in 2001 (including 3 finals) whilst we won 4 games for the season. Always seemed to give everything for the jumper despite looking like a country footballer. Would have loved to see a 1 min highlights package (and of any others they interview).

Here is interview with Steven Sziller the club did. I can take credit for giving them the idea & player! Hopefully few more players from 90's will be done!

“My most memorable memory would have to be grand final week. Not the result but the build-up to the game and all the excitement that was around the club and the players,” Steven told saints.com.au.

With a lot of debate recently on the tempo of AFL changing over the years, we asked what Steven thought and he believes it has changed from his playing days.

“I think that the game has got a lot faster and I think the skill level is a lot better than what it used to be.”

“I enjoy watching the Saints games in particular and watching players like Lenny Hayes go hard at the ball.”

READ MORE - http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/144688/default.aspx
Awesome to see them catch up with Steven Sziller.

I also want to say a big thank you to the directors ending their tenure as well, the Footy First ticket has done wonders for our club as we've gone from strength to strength during their tenure.

You can see the professional way they've appointed coaches, appointed Pelchen and so on. Massive change from the old Rod and Grant show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steven Baker will be the guest on "Open Mike" on Foxtel next Monday night. Will be interesting to see what he has to say. Personally I hope he tips a bucket load on the AFL who I think railroaded him out of the game because they didn't like his old fashioned style of football. Anderson & Co basically made rules up on the fly in order to get him out of the game. The suspensions for the Farmer and Johnson incidents were so extreme and out of kilter with the averages that the only conclusion open to a fair minded observer was that an AFL vendetta was being perpetrated.
I have a football fantasy where Bakes comes out of retirement to play a one off superrules (Over 35s) game and find himself lined up on Adrian Anderson. That, I would pay money to see.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/144812/default.aspx

Jason Blake will assess whether he'll extend his football career into next year at the end of this season.

The veteran defender told saints.com.au playing in 2013 is not out of the question.

“I still have a passion for the game and my body’s feeling good, before the injury I thought I was going pretty well so taking those things into consideration I hear it’s a long time retired so I’ll have to, sit down and go through those things," Blake said.

Blake, who returned to the VFL on Sunday after spending six weeks in rehabilitation from ankle surgery, said he would sit down with Scott Watters to talk about the future.

“I think at the end of the season I’ll still have to weigh it up and see how the body’s going and how the ankle’s going and where the team’s at. There’s a few things to sort of analyse and go through.

“It will be really a case of we’ll have a look at the list and have a chat with the coach and talk about expectations and my role going forward if there is one and make a decision then.”

This is part of some crap Robert Walls was going on about today, not even going bother posting most of it.

STEPHEN MILNE
The little man with the big mouth is the Saints' most disliked player by those outside of the club but one of the most valued within. He plays in one of the hardest spots on the ground - small permanent forward. His 255 games have delivered 536 goals, a terrific return but, in his 16 finals games, not once is he mentioned in St Kilda's best players. At 32, another two years, at most, will see him out.
But if he did research even The Age named Milne in best in 2010 Qualifying Final against Geelong -
ST KILDA 4.7 8.8 11.11 12.11 (83)
GEELONG 3.4 5.6 10.6 11.13 (79)
GOALS St Kilda: Riewoldt 3, Milne 3, Schneider, Goddard, Jones, Koschitzke, Montagna, Gardiner. Geelong: Mooney 3, Stokes 2, S Johnson 2, T Varcoe 2, Chapman, Byrnes.​
BEST St Kilda: Riewoldt, Goddard, Milne, Fisher, Gwilt, Peake. Geelong: Bartel, Ablett, Chapman, Kelly, Varcoe, Mooney, Ling.
INJURIES St Kilda: Baker (toe), Geary (soreness) replaced in selected team by Dempster, Eddy. Geelong: Lonergan replaced in selected team by Byrnes.
UMPIRES S Ryan, Stevic, Rosebury.
CROWD 63,608 at the MCG.

Saints fearless declares coach Scott Watters

ST KILDA coach Scott Watters has declared the club fears nobody as it takes steps towards quickly becoming a "juggernaut" of the competition.

In an exclusive interview in the lead-up to tonight's mini-final against Geelong, Watters said the Saints had taken confidence from playing some of their best football against "so-called premiership favourites".

"You can only deal with the game that's in front of you, but we're really looking forward to this one," Watters said.
"We don't fear any side."

While victory is a must to keep St Kilda's top eight hopes alive, a home game at Etihad Stadium in the prime Friday slot is also another significant opportunity to win back the hearts of supporters.

The infamous St Kilda "bubble" has burst with a bang as Watters spearheads a more open policy to re-connect with its fans.

"That's been extremely driven by me," Watters said.

"I won't compromise our performance standards, but I think St Kilda has the capacity in the next three to four years ... it should become a juggernaut.

"We haven't connected with anywhere near enough supporters. There are a lot of people out there that barrack for St Kilda who aren't on board yet.

"I want them involved. I want them to come and face the challenges with us."

READ MORE - http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ch-scott-watters/story-e6frepex-1226452136568

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/sco...being-overlooked/story-e6frf9io-1226452129587

ST KILDA coach Scott Watters has a question to the media and the wider football world: Why has Nick Riewoldt been allowed to go under the radar?

Watters said the Saints skipper, out of tonight's clash with Geelong with a knee injury, is an All-Australian contender.

``I've probably been surprised at times with the lack of credit he is given for his performances,'' Watters said.

Watters said he would be ''disappointed'' if the late injury to the key forward cost him personal honours.

``I think he was in All-Australian form. Not many people outside the club have acknowledged that ... I can't understand why,'' Watters said.

Watters said Riewoldt's leadership had also taken a ''massive step''.

``I think he's given a lot more to the players who have bveen around him, which you only see from an internal perspective.''

Watters said he believed Riewoldt has at least another two years left in the game.

I like Dunell, classy player
Given where he's come from - barely having played even VFL, he is going to be incredible with a few more preseasons. When he's 24, it's gonna be fun.

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2012 Media Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back