News 2012 Media Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Bang, finally got a question asked!!

Shaun@stkildathunda
@stkildafc #askasaint How have u rated your season so far & what do you feel you most need to improve to be able to take next step & debut?

"I think it’s now just about getting some consistency down at Sandy, trying to string 3 or 4 good games together just to try earn my spot in senior side."

Ask A Saint: Seb Ross - http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/144855/default.aspx

Maybe you should have asked "when was the last time you smiled, Seb?"

I like the boys treating their chosen profession seriously, but wow.

This is part of some crap Robert Walls was going on about today, not even going bother posting most of it.

STEPHEN MILNE
The little man with the big mouth is the Saints' most disliked player by those outside of the club but one of the most valued within. He plays in one of the hardest spots on the ground - small permanent forward. His 255 games have delivered 536 goals, a terrific return but, in his 16 finals games, not once is he mentioned in St Kilda's best players. At 32, another two years, at most, will see him out.
But if he did research even The Age named Milne in best in 2010 Qualifying Final against Geelong -
ST KILDA 4.7 8.8 11.11 12.11 (83)
GEELONG 3.4 5.6 10.6 11.13 (79)
GOALS St Kilda: Riewoldt 3, Milne 3, Schneider, Goddard, Jones, Koschitzke, Montagna, Gardiner. Geelong: Mooney 3, Stokes 2, S Johnson 2, T Varcoe 2, Chapman, Byrnes.​
BEST St Kilda: Riewoldt, Goddard, Milne, Fisher, Gwilt, Peake. Geelong: Bartel, Ablett, Chapman, Kelly, Varcoe, Mooney, Ling.
INJURIES St Kilda: Baker (toe), Geary (soreness) replaced in selected team by Dempster, Eddy. Geelong: Lonergan replaced in selected team by Byrnes.
UMPIRES S Ryan, Stevic, Rosebury.
CROWD 63,608 at the MCG.

You got up to Milne? I read the part about Riewoldt having poor years in 2010 and 2011 and gave up. Hardly had a bad year in 2010... when he missed 10 games and the first three or so back he was struggling still from his injury. Walls is as clueless as they come

Snatched the mX on my way home, bit of a light hearted interview with Armo. Nothing earth-shattering, just confirms what we already knew.

Q: You've had your most consistent year and really taken your game to another level.

Armo: Lenny had a little bit to do with that, also Laidley and Scotty. He's come in a really told me what he thought of me and how i could become a good player, and he thinks there's still plenty of scope for me to improve. I think there is too, and another preseason and another year in the gig will hopefully see me have an even better next year.

Q: Watters seems to have reinvigorated a few of the second, third and fourth year players, as well as introducing a lot of new players. I reckon that was what St Kilda desperately needed.

A: Definitley. Some blokes were struggling to get a gig and now they've had their opportunity thru Scotty. He gives them massive self belief. Blokes like Rhys Stanley, who is a freak athlete, Scotty just says: 'Mate, go for your marks, use your pace, shoot for goal". He gives you massive confidence to back yourself in - and if you stuff up, he's not going to keep encouraging you. When you've got that kind of support, you want to give it your all for him.

Also mentions that his middle name is... Clancy.

Some really embarrassing stuff from Bakes in the paper today. Cringeworthy. It's like he's an old grandpa already - telling people about the times in his day whilst multi-tasking (soiling his dacks at the same time).

Nick Dal Santo
ANOTHER year is almost over for the Saints. We are praying for a miracle that will let us participate in September, but that is optimistic.
As always, the season has been long and hard, and as I look forward to next year I can't see it getting any easier. This year's AFL season has certainly been exciting. It's been highly competitive, but what's made it so different has been the unpredictable nature of the year.
For so many teams, such as us at St Kilda, it's been like a roller-coaster ride with so many ups and downs. Even when people try to work out who will be this year's premier, not too many can name a team with confidence. I have no idea who will win the premiership, but for 10 teams not playing finals, the season is finished in two weeks. So what's in store for the next few months?
I know for me it will be difficult to watch other teams run around in September. Being part of the finals in seven of the past eight years means it's a little unfamiliar for the Saints, so it certainly makes it a lot tougher this year.
Advertisement
Having spoken to many St Kilda supporters over the years, I know that September is a special time. It's that special feeling of excitement where you dare to dream. I can assure you, the players have that same feeling. You also notice the weather starting to warm up and you can smell the freshly cut grass.
There is a sense of excitement in the air each time you turn up at the club for a training session. No doubt there will be times over the next six weeks I will be thinking about what might have been and formulate in my mind how we would have fared against the finalists. But the reality is, that's not going to do me any good. I have to start getting ready for next year, that next opportunity, almost immediately.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a-season-of-unpredictability-may-yet-have-a-twist-in-it-for-the-saints-20120821-24kn8.html#ixzz24Dwgar8F

Nick Dal Santo
ANOTHER year is almost over for the Saints. We are praying for a miracle that will let us participate in September, but that is optimistic.
As always, the season has been long and hard, and as I look forward to next year I can't see it getting any easier. This year's AFL season has certainly been exciting. It's been highly competitive, but what's made it so different has been the unpredictable nature of the year.
For so many teams, such as us at St Kilda, it's been like a roller-coaster ride with so many ups and downs. Even when people try to work out who will be this year's premier, not too many can name a team with confidence. I have no idea who will win the premiership, but for 10 teams not playing finals, the season is finished in two weeks. So what's in store for the next few months?
I know for me it will be difficult to watch other teams run around in September. Being part of the finals in seven of the past eight years means it's a little unfamiliar for the Saints, so it certainly makes it a lot tougher this year.
Advertisement
Having spoken to many St Kilda supporters over the years, I know that September is a special time. It's that special feeling of excitement where you dare to dream. I can assure you, the players have that same feeling. You also notice the weather starting to warm up and you can smell the freshly cut grass.
There is a sense of excitement in the air each time you turn up at the club for a training session. No doubt there will be times over the next six weeks I will be thinking about what might have been and formulate in my mind how we would have fared against the finalists. But the reality is, that's not going to do me any good. I have to start getting ready for next year, that next opportunity, almost immediately.

Read more: [URL='http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a-season-of-unpredictability-may-yet-have-a-twist-in-it-for-the-saints-20120821-24kn8.html#ixzz24Dwgar8F[/quote']http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a-season-of-unpredictability-may-yet-have-a-twist-in-it-for-the-saints-20120821-24kn8.html#ixzz24Dwgar8F[/URL]

That reminds me, I need to look into changing my user name.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp.../wafl-whispers-beer-baron-right-for-the-comp/

Perth midfielder Alistair Smith is not falling for the popular line that Claremont are virtually certain to unfurl another premiership flag this season.

Smith returned to Demons this season after three years with St Kilda where he managed just three senior matches but said he developed significantly under coach Ross Lyon.

That improvement has been on show in recent weeks with Smith regularly appearing in Perth’s best player list.

And he made a guest appearance in the Football Budget last week where he answered questions posed by his potential 2013 teammate Andrew McDougall.

But he would not have Claremont as flag favourites while his former Saints skipper Nick Riewoldt surprisingly didn’t crack a guernsey as one of the best three players during his time at the club.

Asked if Claremont were the team to beat, Smith came up with this answer: “It’s an open race. I think anyone can win it.”

And Lenny Hayes, Stephen Milne and Justin Koschitzke were the players he nominated as St Kilda’s best three.

But Smith still had praise for the hard-working Riewoldt, describing him as very professional and a great role model. “His work ethic is unbelievable,” Smith said.

And while Brownes Stadium is famous for its Pig Pen, it may raise a few eyebrows that Smith argued that the thing he enjoyed most about Perth was “the farm life”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/wafl/14629158/wafl-whispers-saints-eyeing-strijk/

Andrew Strijk is highly unlikely to be in the blue and gold of West Coast next season but could he be wearing red, white and black?

St Kilda officials were at East Fremantle Oval on Sunday when the Sharks gave West Perth a shellacking and they could not help but be impressed by the efforts of the lively Strijk.

Back in the midfield where he does his best work after the Eagles had tried to convert him into a small forward, Strijk had a career-high 25 kicks as he showcased his superb skills with ball in hand.

Strijk’s journey includes 112 Falcons matches, two State appearances and 11 AFL games in three seasons.

Saints coach Scott Watters has already had success by giving dumped Eagle Beau Wilkes a lifeline and he may have another win with a forgotten ball-carrying midfielder whose kicking puts him in elite class.

West Perth don’t know where the 25-year-old will be next year but suspect that his return to form in the past month coincides with a realisation that he is not in West Coast’s current or future plans and that he can finally return to playing with the freedom that got him drafted in the first place.

Strijk's not a bad player, I wouldn't mind us picking him up. He was pretty impressive in his games for West Coast, just finding it hard to break into their side now they have quite a strong midfield. Kobe Stevens would be another West Coast fringe midfielder worth looking at too.

With both Watters and Simon McPhee being ex-WAFL coaches they would have a pretty good handle on the best talent there so I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up more experienced WAFL players like Wilkes.

Strijk's not a bad player, I wouldn't mind us picking him up. He was pretty impressive in his games for West Coast, just finding it hard to break into their side now they have quite a strong midfield. Kobe Stevens would be another West Coast fringe midfielder worth looking at too.

With both Watters and Simon McPhee being ex-WAFL coaches they would have a pretty good handle on the best talent there so I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up more experienced WAFL players like Wilkes.

pass on strijk. seen enough and so has wce. wce trying to pump up the value of a player for a trade.

Pretty harsh saying Strijk is useless, he's no superstar but could still be a handy AFL player. Would probably have more upside than the likes of Polo, Gamble and some of the other recycled spuds we have recruited in recent years.

Having said that, I'd prefer it if we went for someone younger like Koby Stevens if we go down the recycled route.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/veteran-trainer-still-up-for-fight/story-e6frf9io-1226457009821

At 85, Ken Whiffen laughs at the fact he has gone from "peacock to feather duster".

No longer the head trainer at St Kilda, he does odd jobs around the club, quietly begrudging he can no longer run on to the field of battle.

"I'm real fit ... real fit," Whiffen said.

Whiffen recalled the day he whacked Western Bulldogs runner Jose Romero during a game at Etihad Stadium in 2003.

He was 76 then, but that did not stop him taking on the former Dog, known for his snarling ways.

A melee broke at quarter-time, with another Bulldog Ryan Hargrave belting Heath Black, and Whiffen found himself in the middle of it.

"The blue started and I just went to separate it and he (Romero) bumped me in the chest," he said.

"It was just a reflex ... once he hit me, I just went bang and let him have one back."

There was less scrutiny in the early '70s, when as club runner under Allan Jeans, he found himself in a tangle with Carlton's Syd Jackson at Moorabbin.

"Neil Besanko was playing on Jackson and 'Jeansy' said to me he was giving him too much room," Whiffen said.

"Jackson said, 'Get off the so-and-so ground', and I said to him, 'I'm not so-and-so talking to you'.

"Then he gave me the elbow. It was just a reflex action, I blocked it and hit him behind the ear. I thought, 'Oh my God, what have I done?'

"Every time Jackson saw me, he said, 'I'll get you', and I gave him the old 'better men than you have tried'."

Whiffen completed a trainers' course in 1963 and landed a job, starting what has been an amazing unbroken adventure.

He kept the job from 1967-75, before taking the head trainer's role.

Tony Lockett was perhaps the most intimidating in his training days.

"When I was head trainer, Rohan White was our doctor and 'Plugger' had hurt his chest - he had it all taped up," Whiffen said.

"Rohan said, 'I want you to take that tape off Plugger's chest'.

"Plugger said to me 'don't you hurt me, you old b------', and I told him it would be fine as I had the knack.

"I'm peeling it back, peeling it back, then just as I got a handful I've gone riiiiiip."

Pretty harsh saying Strijk is useless, he's no superstar but could still be a handy AFL player. Would probably have more upside than the likes of Polo, Gamble and some of the other recycled spuds we have recruited in recent years.

Having said that, I'd prefer it if we went for someone younger like Koby Stevens if we go down the recycled route.

one good game doesnt maketh the player. gets 30 possessions against east freo and suddenly he's a gun. had maybe one other good game all year for west perth.

did you watch his performance against subi last year in the wafl final. got owned by a 19yr old george hampson who was playing his 3rd league game. george kicked 3 in horrible conditions to get subi over the line.

if we draft strijk were going backwards. that article was full of spin. if he's so good why hasn't he been called up for the pies game, oh yeh thats right because 1 good wafl game doesnt demand selection.

we have players currently listed now, who play across half back, look a step above VFL level football who cant seem to get a regular afl game. if these guys played for west perth they'd be collecting BOG 30 possession games week in week out.

Yeah I watched the West Perth v Subiaco prelim last year on tv, it was a great win by Subi but I can't recall Strijk's performance.

You probably watch WAFL more than me and know more about his form there, I'm really only basing my opinion on what I saw of him playing for West Coast a couple of years ago where he looked OK.

As I said before I would prefer we went for younger players if we are going down the recycled player route. There is also Adam Cockie who has apparently been playing well at Sandringham and was a good player at Subiaco, he's still only around 23 yrs old so not too old.

Yeah I watched the West Perth v Subiaco prelim last year on tv, it was a great win by Subi but I can't recall Strijk's performance.

You probably watch WAFL more than me and know more about his form there, I'm really only basing my opinion on what I saw of him playing for West Coast a couple of years ago where he looked OK.

As I said before I would prefer we went for younger players if we are going down the recycled player route. There is also Adam Cockie who has apparently been playing well at Sandringham and was a good player at Subiaco, he's still only around 23 yrs old so not too old.

no surprise you cant recall strijks performance.

i agree on cockie. i've heard people say his only knock is his he can be found out on bigger grounds where his weakness on the run and spread gets exposed.

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2012 Media Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back