2013 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Marsh, Battersby, Templeton, Miller, Hourigan.

Some interesting rookie prospects for a few clubs.

IMO Miller will struggle to be rookie listed for the same reason as Marsh slid so far, neither are that competitive or have good footy smarts. Marsh was lucky that he is an athletic beast, Miller is far from that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great Draft by the Lions

So basically we have got the following:
AISH
GARDINER & ROBERTSON for POLEC & Pick 29
McSTAY & WEST for LONGER
TAYLOR for YEO
CUTLER for DOCHERTY
& PAINE for KARNY

Overall, I think we have done pretty well

Taylor for Yeo looks great on paper. Hopefully he can get some games next year and show us what he can do in the big league - at this stage he looks an absolute steal but he'll need to prove himself before either club can say they won the trade etc.

Do we have 3 rookie spots? I'd be happy to just fill them with Tickner, Conway and Smith.

Don't like Tickner's chances considering the number of talls we added at both ends in trade week and the draft.

Archie must be close to a certainty for us to rookie.

For those learned watcher's out there such as Quigley cotter101 Offsider etc., who are the half dozen or so players that you considered were genuinely unlucky or stiff to miss getting drafted?

Appreciate your thoughts.:thumbsu:

Miller, Battersby, Templeton, Hourigan, Wilson, Conlon, Spina, Tsitas and a few others like Jacka and Drummond.

I don't think any of those blokes got picked up. But I rate a couple of them highly.

Don't like Tickner's chances considering the number of talls we added at both ends in trade week and the draft.

Archie must be close to a certainty for us to rookie.

Agreed. In the draft alone we added McStay, Gardiner and Cutler. All of whom are ahead of Tickner.

Better options out there for us to rookie.

Agree on Archie.

From the "how your club fared' article on AFL website - Link

BRISBANE
The winners of the draft. Rob Kerr, Stephen Conole and the Lions' recruiting team had to nail this draft and they couldn't have done much more. They never thought James Aish would be there and they combine him with Lewis Taylor and two key defenders. Filled holes with quality prospects.

Aish looked happy.

Fantastic family, gun player. Proven performer already against bigger bodies. He will be a one club player and will Captain your club, I couldnt be more certain.

Great to have both James Aish and Joel Patfull in the same team. Both great Norwood families.

Miller, Battersby, Templeton, Hourigan, Wilson, Conlon, Spina, Tsitas and a few others like Jacka and Drummond.

I don't think any of those blokes got picked up. But I rate a couple of them highly.

I liked him at the Champs I'd like to see him lose that puppy fat and be a midfield bull but no idea if he's ever even played there. Very nice kick too. General consensus seems to be he'll be a third tall, If you were drafting him for the Lions in which position would you be looking to develop him?

I actually like how we picked our defenders. We've taken 3 defenders, probably only 1 of them will be a KPD, the other two are more 3rd tall or rebounding types, obviously to help cover the loss of Yeo, as well as future cover for Patfull and Merrett. Robertson also adds a taller option coming from the back flank and into the midfield. We then add 2 very good users of the ball to add to our midfield.

I love the idea of having Green/Zorko/Taylor across HF and the likes of Hanley/Mayes/Aish rotating from HB/wing/HF. Who the hell do you tag out of those 3? and that's not even counting Rich or Rocky !

I liked him at the Champs I'd like to see him lose that puppy fat and be a midfield bull but no idea if he's ever even played there. Very nice kick too. General consensus seems to be he'll be a third tall, If you were drafting him for the Lions in which position would you be looking to develop him?

I'd be looking to develop him as a third tall up forward. Once he works on a couple of things he could become a handy player.

Not sure he really has what it takes to be developed into a midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back