2013 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually like how we picked our defenders. We've taken 3 defenders, probably only 1 of them will be a KPD, the other two are more 3rd tall or rebounding types, obviously to help cover the loss of Yeo, as well as future cover for Patfull and Merrett. Robertson also adds a taller option coming from the back flank and into the midfield. We then add 2 very good users of the ball to add to our midfield.

I love the idea of having Green/Zorko/Taylor across HF and the likes of Hanley/Mayes/Aish rotating from HB/wing/HF. Who the hell do you tag out of those 3? and that's not even counting Rich or Rocky !

Agreed. I wish teams lucks trying to tag all of Hanley, Rich, Aish and potentially Taylor. No use in tagging Rockliff. He'll just keep racking up the disposals as usual.

NATIONAL draft hopeful Nick Robertson is clinging to an AFL dream despite spending last season recovering from injury.
Robertson, 18, could be a surprise pick when the league's latest batch of young hopefuls are taken at the draft on the Gold Coast next Thursday.
The elite running midfielder had an almost identical shoulder makeover to what Fremantle ace Nat Fyfe experienced last year. This time last year Robertson was considered by national recruiting experts in the same bracket as 17-year-old guns Jesse Hogan and Jack Martin.
Hogan at Melbourne and Martin with the Gold Coast are set to crash on to the tough AFL scene next year after spending seasons at second-tier level as they were too young to play in the national competition.
Scans had been unable to identify Robertson's ligament trouble at the back of his right shoulder.
He played the opening colts game of the 2013 season and collected 37 possessions as well as booting four goals from the midfield and was selected in an elite Australian Institute of Sport team for a six-week tour to Europe.
But his return to West Perth colts lasted less than a minute. He was dumped into the turf from behind in a tackle against Claremont and popped his shoulder again, meaning more surgery.
With draft scouts now hovering, Robertson says he is in tip-top shape for a call-up.
"It's definitely been a tough year in terms of not playing footy," he said. "I've had to watch a lot of games because of my injury, but that's all out of my control. What I can control is my rehabilitation and I have been. My shoulder at the moment is as good as it's ever going to be and that's what has kept me motivated and switched on. If the opportunity comes, I am fit and healthy and ready to go."
This is a very exciting read about Robertson's potential! He could be anything. Mentioned in the same company as Hogan and Martin last year in Mini Draft! WOW!
Looking like we really have replaced and added significantly.

Great Draft by the Lions

So basically we have got the following:
AISH
GARDINER & ROBERTSON for POLEC & Pick 29
McSTAY & WEST for LONGER
TAYLOR for YEO
CUTLER for DOCHERTY
& PAINE for KARNY

Overall, I think we have done pretty well

Great assessment of the trade/draft process. Add in Freeman too and we have covered the cry baby 5 easily and intact improved!
Loving hearing the comments about Aish's character and commitment! Friend from SA Norwood says he is a 1 club player and WILL captain Lions! Great to hear some positive spin!

Dumb question time. How many rookie spots do we have? and likely to use??

We have four: Hayes, Bourke, Banfield and Michael and have three spots available, with a minimum of one being a QLD player that we can nominate prior to the rookie draft; perhaps one or more of Archie Smith, Conway or Tickner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I thought we did reasonably well I mist admit a few things about out drafting still concern me. The major one is that we didn't pick up a genuine inside mid unless they're looking at Robertson for that role our someone on our list already.

The other was that we took a couple of in between sized defenders who play key defender roles. Only time will tell I guess and Cutler will most likely be a hbf rather than a third tall with Gardner taking that third tall role. Just worried he doesn't have the offensive game you want in that position.

Don't mind the speed of Taylor. He's an interesting one where there seems to be 2 very divergent opinions on him. He could make or break this draft for us.

Overall it looks alright but I still have some concerns with our list still but most of those were there pre draft.

While I thought we did reasonably well I mist admit a few things about out drafting still concern me. The major one is that we didn't pick up a genuine inside mid unless they're looking at Robertson for that role our someone on our list already.

Yeah reckon those types are already on the list. Claye Beams will be back and I am very excited about the mooted move of Pearce Hanley to the middle.

The other was that we took a couple of in between sized defenders who play key defender roles. Only time will tell I guess and Cutler will most likely be a hbf rather than a third tall with Gardner taking that third tall role. Just worried he doesn't have the offensive game you want in that position.

Don't mind the speed of Taylor. He's an interesting one where there seems to be 2 very divergent opinions on him. He could make or break this draft for us.

Overall it looks alright but I still have some concerns with our list still but most of those were there pre draft.

Just on Cutler, I think he could be potentially developed as a midfielder. His footskills are pretty good and he is quick(top 10 in the combine for 20m sprint), and his athletic ability is decent too. He has played in the middle in previous years at times and done alright. It may not be likely, but it is an option. Could be developed into a few roles.

Interesting to see Boyd prior to the draft on the GC.

View attachment 36079

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Bernard Tomic.

350500-lleyton-hewitt.jpg

Just on Cutler, I think he could be potentially developed as a midfielder. His footskills are pretty good and he is quick(top 10 in the combine for 20m sprint), and his athletic ability is decent too. He has played in the middle in previous years at times and done alright. It may not be likely, but it is an option. Could be developed into a few roles.

Yeah I got that vibe as well. Just seems to be a bit of a habit for us taking non mids and trying to develop them into mids and that process is yet to prove successfull in my eyes.

One spot I do worry about is that medium leading forward role that ash plays. We don't seem to have anyone for that.

Got back from the event half an hour ago, did a catch-up on this thread and then decided to post few thoughts.

Aish looks like a genuine steal at 7. A palpable buzz went around the room when he fell to us there. Considering that not so long ago,he was being touted as a Pick 2 or 3 selection, we have surely done really well to secure a mid of his quality. Not sure what TV feeds were going where but he was being described by at least one expert as "the most skilled player in the draft"

Considerable relief from yours truly that we didn't try to outsmart ourselves with a silly reach with our first pick and instead took the obvious quality on offer.

Then there was the "sale of the century" with Lewis Taylor falling to us at 28:eek:

I fully admit that an hour and a half before the event, I hadn't dome any research into this guy at all. Luckily, for the drive from Brisbane to the Con Centre, I had son No. 3 in the car with me(who had done his research and told me he was hoping against hope that Taylor would somehow find his way to us at a later pick)

Much sighing, groaning and gnashing of teeth ensued when we stubbornly ignored him at 22 and then 25.....followed by much jubilation, high 5-ing and fist pumping when he was (at last) read out at 28. Having since read that story about his background and his pure determination to succeed, I feel even more "stoked-er" now:). Probably fair to say that this is one recruit who won't be wanting to rush home to mummy any time soon.

As for "Phantom" draft pickers, kudos to Callum Twomey who picked the first 13 selections(THIRTEEN!!!) in the correct order but finally stumbled at the 14th hurdle when GWS did the bizarro selection of the night by calling out McCarthy:eek: . On the subject of Twomey's predictions, he also had LT going to GWS at 14 and Cutler to Swans at 15. So in the eyes of the guy who picked the first 13, we have actually secured the 7th, 14th and 15th best players in the Draft with Picks 7, 28 and 33!!

OK, we won't really know how well we've done for at least a couple of years but on the balance of probabilities , we surely have at least one or two long term AFL standard class acts on our hands.

Lastly, as a first timer at a ND, gotta say I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The ticket thing is a furphy though....after all the effort of applying for the "limited" free admission tickets, checking my email inbox daily and then at last proudly printing them out in glorious full colour, not one person even looked like asking for them and it was basically just a matter of walking straight in.

Oh well...live and learn.:oops:

Yeah reckon those types are already on the list. Claye Beams will be back and I am very excited about the mooted move of Pearce Hanley to the middle.

Harwood could also fill that role if needed. With Cutler and Robertson down back to replace him and Yeo if we really needed to.

Remove this Banner Ad

2013 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back