List Mgmt. 2014 Trade and Free Agency Targets Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trick with the Pelican is leaving it to the last minute so he has no choice. He tried to dick us with Dal Santo (no pun intended) by trading for NDS or getting Delaney cheaper than what we handed him over for. He'd rather something over nothing, problem is list managers lose patience and cave.

Wouldn't it be great if Majak Daw could play full back.

I'm glad you've suggested this, hotham. He is the perfect size. Imagine him dashing out of defence, like David Dench or even Micky Martyn in 1996.

Playing full back or some monster might be an easier thing to learn than playing forward and trying to be creative or getting out of the way of the other forwards.

It shouldn't be completely ruled out. After kicking 6 against the Doggies he's been found out well and truly. I don't think he'll make it as a forward and he's too short for the ruck.

We have nothing to lose and a whole pre-season ahead.

I would say Maj has the physical attributes minus hip strength to make a nice key position player, however the smarts required to play full back in this league are tremendous. I think he lacks the footy smarts and trying to develop them at this stage of his career will be extremely challenging.

Your post makes sense mate. No use bringing in mediocre players because they will just keep us well... Mediocre.

In the next couple of years the expansion teams will be coming hard, port will be a powerhouse, Sydney will still be getting an extra gazillion dollars to be good, even the bulldogs and west coast will be on the rise - our time is now.

Geelong is on the slide, hawthorns last crack at it, freo will lose their all Australians to retirement so we must look at the best available FA/players looking for a new home and go extremely hard to get them NOW

If we keep building through the draft, GC will be demolishing us by the time we are ready to contend. They have elite talent at every position and they will be topping it up every year. Then we have GWS who are in the same boat, albeit, probably a couple years later. I really dont see anyone getting near them teams once they hit the 150 games played together mark, unless they get mauled by poaching from other clubs.

Also, on the Danger/Sloane 'never going to happen' etc Adelaide have Danger to re sign at reportedly 1.3M per season, Sloane will want around 700 imo and then you have Tex. What will he command? 700k as well? 2.7M per season for 3 players, some front loaded, some back loaded probably, but i would never say never. Who would of thought Ryder would be leaving *scum? With free agency(especially in the AFL) youll find more big trades happening imo. Will Beams leave Collingwood? Im not saying we could get a player like that, simply stating we should be at least inquiring about any top end talent that is coming out of contract. Anyone who is within a certain age group and instantly improves us should be trade targets and we can 'top up' with free agent vets who cost dollars only. Jaksch and some other boy want to come home. They are very young but have crucial development under them, maybe its better to have a crack at them instead of draft green kids requiring 3 odd years.

No matter how you look at it, the club wants to improve. After a prelim, what exactly is improvement? Grand finals? Great list management with an eye to 2018/19??

Greenwood, Bastinac, T

People must remember we have 38 on our senior list of that 22 play each round. The squad is broken up into automatic selection, would be automatic selection but injured, suspended ( rolls eyes) those developing and those no good but worth a punt at the time.
So each week 16 players don't get a gig- SIXTEEN!!!! Nearly enough to fill a second side.

A club with a non emotional list management means you can afford to carry injured guys with more upside that a speculative pick taken around 80-100 in any given draft.

I've found it interesting reading on here that both Curran and Tarrant may retire, why would you wait until the seasons over to do such a thing? Do we now have an official retirement week? " Yeah, look I've been unavailable for two years and haven't played any games, but when I realised my body was cooked I thought it best to hang around til season's end so as not to upset those that haven't relied on me anyway".

Just because fans get peeved at players being perpetually injured doesn't mean the club is giving up, they'll do their due diligence and work out whether

player'x' is still a better option than pick 95. How many decent KP's have we recruited in the last 15 years? I tell ya a North Korean amateur bomb disposal worker could count them on his remaining fingers.

We've a host of ready made delisting without moving on KP's that fans are sick of being injured.

Now that's off my chest...

" Its all or nothing now for NMFC". Richmond did that after making a prelim under Frawley set them back another ten years.
Its a bit different when you have a solid core of young players coming through together. having a mini tilt via a trade or 2 and some free agents isnt setting us back at all.

"Blokes like Higgins, Blease etc wont cut the mustard". Agree 100%
We have an even playing group that needs an injection of top end talent.

"Trade- Sloane , Beams, Danger". why would clubs do that? And if they did I shudder to think 'at what cost'.
Maybe set the eyes lower then and go for a Jaksch/Tomlinson type. Adelaide will have some trouble signing Danger, Sloane and Tex imo and just like Ryder pulling up stumps(under different circumstances) i would rule out that one may move on.

"Trade Bastinac, Tazza, Adams, Harper and MacKenzie" four of those guys have little trade value, I doubt you'd get a second rounder...
Bastinac would net us a pick 2nd rounder imo, the rest have minimal trade value but are only clogging our list as well. I could fathom keeping Harper and BMac i guess, but Tazza is absolutely cooked imho. What is it, 37 games in 7 odd years? His body clearly isnt up to it.
Tazza- keep as stated above.
What is the point? Please explain. I know he is contracted, but is that the only reason?

Basti- keep.
So he can keep going backwards? Cant get a shot at inside mid where he plays his best football and we have Froggy coming through as well. Just where do you see basti making his niche in this team??

Adams and MacKenize- don't care.
Nor do i to be honest

Harper- will mostly likely survive with others ahead in the delist stakes. Although I think he needs a major arse kicking. Won't be surprised to see him gone. Nahas and Turner have passed him. IMO
Might be worth persisting with off HB for another season.

Which would leave us Tazza, Curran, Delaney, Daw and Harper all having injury issues, still got 33 players available for selection and am confident all won't be injured next year.- Hope North take a punt and roll at least four out again next season.:thumbsu:

My reply is inside the quote

I doubt we'll get him but after his performance on Friday and just because he's an all round gun player I would love for us to have a crack at Malceski. Could be a perfect fit in our back half allowing Atley to move up the ground like he did to good effect in the latter part of this year. I don't think he'll stay at the COLA's but not sure where he will end up. It would also significantly increase our beard stocks, which at this stage are sadly lacking.

If we keep building through the draft, GC will be demolishing us by the time we are ready to contend. They have elite talent at every position and they will be topping it up every year. Then we have GWS who are in the same boat, albeit, probably a couple years later. I really dont see anyone getting near them teams once they hit the 150 games played together mark, unless they get mauled by poaching from other clubs.

Also, on the Danger/Sloane 'never going to happen' etc Adelaide have Danger to re sign at reportedly 1.3M per season, Sloane will want around 700 imo and then you have Tex. What will he command? 700k as well? 2.7M per season for 3 players, some front loaded, some back loaded probably, but i would never say never. Who would of thought Ryder would be leaving *scum? With free agency(especially in the AFL) youll find more big trades happening imo. Will Beams leave Collingwood? Im not saying we could get a player like that, simply stating we should be at least inquiring about any top end talent that is coming out of contract. Anyone who is within a certain age group and instantly improves us should be trade targets and we can 'top up' with free agent vets who cost dollars only. Jaksch and some other boy want to come home. They are very young but have crucial development under them, maybe its better to have a crack at them instead of draft green kids requiring 3 odd years.

No matter how you look at it, the club wants to improve. After a prelim, what exactly is improvement? Grand finals? Great list management with an eye to 2018/19??

Thats why our next 2 years are vital imo, GC and GWS also have cap advantages. Their massive talent pools will be coming into their early prime over the next 2-4 and as you say even then they have early picks coming through after than. It wont be until their cap advantages diminish and their players start becoming FA that the rest of the comp can start pegging them back.

We should be looking to use draft picks to improve our list now, if the right player or deal isnt possible then draft a kid. Hawks are at near their peak, Sydney will still be a powerhouse and Port looking good. We have the organic improvement in our list, we have older players with 2 years left - i believe its now we should make our move.

The other factor is the new equalizing and total player payment system. If we're under paying this year it seems we can over spend next year meaning we technically have the space to improve our list dramatically for this 2 years push. Then with Petrie, Boomer, Wells, NDS, Gibson perhaps Thompson retiring we mini rebuild, go under spend, top up quality kids via draft then make a major play raiding GC/GWS FAs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt we'll get him but after his performance on Friday and just because he's an all round gun player I would love for us to have a crack at Malceski. Could be a perfect fit in our back half allowing Atley to move up the ground like he did to good effect in the latter part of this year. I don't think he'll stay at the COLA's but not sure where he will end up. It would also significantly increase our beard stocks, which at this stage are sadly lacking.
Quality like Malceski is what we need, spot on.

North are definitely having a sniff for Montagna.

Anyone heard anything else?
Weren't we after Montagna a few years ago? Not really my first choice.

If doggies want Tarrant, I would ask for Jones.

I would back him at FB over Tarrant. Is big enough and strong enough and has takes alot more contested marks than Taz.

If doggies want Tarrant, I would ask for Jones.

I would back him at FB over Tarrant. Is big enough and strong enough and has takes alot more contested marks than Taz.

don't think you are gaining much there, statistically speaking Jones takes half a mark more a game yet Tarrant gives off half a handball more a game, besides that their stats sit pretty equal, Jones just gets on the park a bit more and is 22 months younger. It would come down to chemistry in the playong group I would think, Jones always comes across as a bit of a knob to me?

No way st kilda would get rid of Armo, surely?!!

If they want a late teens pick I would throw that straight away. He is all class! Upgrade on greenwood/basti
Definitely on Basti, but Greenwood has been sensational this year. Any bloke who can get 16 in the last quarter of a final is a gun and I can't say Armitage has risen to those heights yet.

West coast have reported the need for strong Inside midfielders, id toss up greenwood (who has been fantastic) but we have dumont as a ready made inclusion for darling or lycett + relevant pick exchanges.
Would anyone do this?
If we got Darling then its a no brainer, but West Coast aren't getting rid of Darling. For Lycett, nope.

Are people forgetting how good Greenwood has been this year? You don't toss away blokes who shown they can play at the level and play very well. His final series was sensational.

Reason I'd keep Tarrant is McMahon, Anthony, Hine, Currie, Wilkins would and should go before him. That's five for delist there no sure we'll even do that many.

If Tarrant becomes the 38th player on the list I could live with that.

Isnt Currie signed for next season.

Tarrant in the backline is laughable- has a turning circle of a tanker

I'm glad you've suggested this, hotham. Imagine him dashing out of defence,

holding-the-ball.jpg

Reason I'd keep Tarrant is McMahon, Anthony, Hine, Currie, Wilkins would and should go before him. That's five for delist there no sure we'll even do that many.

If Tarrant becomes the 38th player on the list I could live with that.
I dont reckon we'll cut Currie and tbh is more important to have on the list than a KPP that gets injured wiping his arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back