List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough.

How do you play these guys in the same team?

HMac
Simpson
Blicavs
Taylor
Lonergan
Rivers
Frawley
Mackie
Vardy
Hawkins
Walker
Kersten
Brown

And then, how do you find a development spot for Kolo or Hamling?

Yes sure I've listed a lot of talls.
But which ones rot in the VFL if we take Frawley.

As per my earlier post, I think the timing is horrible.

Maybe one or 2 retirements pending that we don't know about, so club is putting the feelers out.

Fair enough.

How do you play these guys in the same team?

HMac
Simpson
Blicavs
Taylor
Lonergan
Rivers
Frawley
Mackie
Vardy
Hawkins
Walker
Kersten
Brown

And then, how do you find a development spot for Kolo or Hamling?

Yes sure I've listed a lot of talls.
But which ones rot in the VFL if we take Frawley.

As per my earlier post, I think the timing is horrible.
The timing is only "bad" because we have a lot of potential options. That's a better situation to be in than timing being good because you've got no options!

The answer is Lonergan and Rivers have one more year each max and the rest don't (and won't) play key position defence. Kolo/Hamling get their initiation as the third tall when Lonergan/Rivers depart.

The competition for spots is a good thing. Yes, you can't play them all but you develop the best ones and hopefully you get something in return in a trade for the ones that can't get a game.

The way our forward line has been non-functioning it wouldn't surprise me if they take him and move Taylor forward and be done with it.
Brown and Walker on balance of probability won't make it. Vardy and Kersten are injury prone. Lonergan, Rivers, Hmac and Enright are all gone in two years. Might be awkward next year, but going forward it's the best move for the club.

And if Franklin and Tippet remain in the form they are in for the next few years. Frawley will be invaluable.

Get it done. We aren't developing anything worth a dam in defence. Only two are Kolo and Hamling and at this stage who knows. There development wont be hindered by getting Frawley because they still have 2-3 years of VFL development infront of them with the odd AFL game thrown in to make em hungry. Plus with Frawley they wont be pressured to step up before there ready which is a huge plus. Frawley fills a need now. Throw the kitchen sink at him.

Frawley would be an AMAZING get for the club and I'll explain why:

1. Our biggest priority by far is a youngish quality FB. Frawley is Exactly that! IMO he is the second best key defender (after Harry) in the AFL. We would be significantly better from round 1 next year. We would have the no.1 defense in the league by far.

2. Lonergan is 31, Rivers is something similar. Take them out and the stocks are bare.. we only have Kolo (more third tall) and Blicavs who might be more suited to second key back/or even third tall. We lack a young quality full back capable of taking the no.1 full forward each week. I don't see much in Hamling to be honest.

3. After Lonergan and rivers retire, a 3 key back tall combo of Kolo/Frawley/Taylor + perhaps Blicavs would be the best in the league. those 3 players would compliment each other PERFECTLY. Kolo third man in, Frawley to take the no.1 forward, Taylor to play his current role as the second key back (and sweeper).

4. We only have 4/5 players in that key 24 - 27 age bracket on our list and we need more to guide the youngsters after Enright, Bartel, Kelly and co leave. Adding another will certainly straighten us up.

5. If we can't get him, it means Hawks might, and probably will. Hawks will be so much better with him. It puts us above them as our rival.

6. We will have the cap room.

7. It allows us to tick the Key defender priority box and focus on other areas (dangerous medium forward, inside mid etc).

Hope like hell we can grab him.

Last edited:
Turbo and Lana, I see all that. I just think the timing is crap.

I can't see Rivers or Lonners leaving.
And I can't see Harry at CHF.

None of it makes sense to me.
We probably need a Enright / Kelly replacement as the priority.
I'd pay good money for an AA quality half back.

Who are you thinking about VC? I think we have the kids to cover the roles as long as they have support. Enright and Kel are both mids who evolved into the roles anyway. Another year and im confident Thurlow will be ready. Bews looks Ok and there will be others that stick their hands up. Sure it would be nice to have JakeK's brother primed to come in but thats the way it does.
Again AA? who is available like that?

Last edited:
And do we really need Frawley?
I think he is way, way over priced.

Are you kidding me? We have 3 kpds over 28 and very little behind them.lack of mid 20s kpd option is the weakest areaof our list.

That said i would not overpay for him when danger is a possibility.but if he is happy to be on less money for a chance at success as rivers did,why not chase him?

Are you kidding me? We have 3 kpds over 28 and very little behind them.lack of mid 20s kpd option is the weakest areaof our list.

That said i would not overpay for him when danger is a possibility.but if he is happy to be on less money for a chance at success as rivers did,why not chase him?
As I said in another thread if he goes he will be a Hawk ,they just get the job done.

Would be stupid not to go for him if we can afford it, he would be much better in a good side and anything that makes us better and stops the hawks from getting better we have to do

As I said in another thread if he goes he will be a Hawk ,they just get the job done.

Cats and hawks both good chance imo.

Another reason to go for him so hawk can keep dominating cheney and schoenmakers

For supposedly Melbourne's most valuable player, money-wise at least, he's been less than instrumental in the club's improvement this year. Has played up forward all year for only a goal a game. Not worth anything like 800k. Much better as a defender, but we won't see much of him there this year –– many Dees fans think that he's a goner, and that Roos does too, which is why he's playing him out of position.
Like Bomber with GAJ? (sorry- couldn't resist that!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are you thinking about VC? I think we have the kids to cover the roles as long as they have support. Enright and Kel are both mids who evolved into the roles anyway. Another year and im confident Thurlow will be ready. Bews looks Ok and there will be others that stick their hands up. Sure it would be nice to have JakeK's brother primed to come in but thats the way it does.
Again AA? who is available like that?
I reckon Lang could do a really good Guthrie-like apprenticeship in the back pocket too, Smedts may even become a footballer too.

I reckon Lang could do a really good Guthrie-like apprenticeship in the back pocket too, Smedts may even become a footballer too.

He may SS , but having seen him in the VFL and now AFL , I like in the FP. Not all players naturally know how to double back on the lead , to get two marks within 5 minutes , to show frenetic approach to tackling and the ability to side step to setup or kick goals himself.
Its just a matter of finding the best fit for their natural attributes , and atm I say its forward.
If he can show the ability to rove packs we may have a real win with this kid

Cats and hawks both good chance imo.

Another reason to go for him so hawk can keep dominating cheney and schoenmakers

Looking at over at the GC board they they are a chance , if he want to play in finals etc.
I like you thinking but if I was betting id bet on the Hawks, they do seem to find a way. And have Buddy money to spend.

Is Shaydon Bloomfield the best player currently not playing in the AFL?

Compared to a Mark LeCras, he is a small forward who has kicked 380 goals in 4 seasons and dominated in the GFL.

Doesn't have a tank to play in the midfield at AFL level, but a big pre-season and he could definitely play a similar role to Motlop, and mark my words, he is BETTER then Motlop!

Is Shaydon Bloomfield the best player currently not playing in the AFL?

Compared to a Mark LeCras, he is a small forward who has kicked 380 goals in 4 seasons and dominated in the GFL.

Doesn't have a tank to play in the midfield at AFL level, but a big pre-season and he could definitely play a similar role to Motlop, and mark my words, he is BETTER then Motlop!

1 , I question that judgement , have not seen him but I question it anyway. If he is that good he should be playing VFL,SANFL or WAFL to have a better chance of getting picked.
2 , AFL ,whether its midfield or what ever is more than just having the talent.

Negligent not to look at Frawley and do the due diligence but as always, cant throw more than a reasonable house at it as opposed to the entire house.

No doubt a value added asset and no doubt would help fill the gap that is there; I can just see the market being SO frothy for him that we just wont have the $$ to make a reasonable deal if it becomes a cash only play. If it is a bout flags and winning and cash, then we are in the hunt...

Hawks for mine would sadly have the box seat.

I WANT Danger....:cool:

GO Catters

dazbroncos , I agree we must not do anything that would exclude us going for someone like PD , but Frawley doesn't do that. Being UFA means we dont need stupid numbers to get him , although I do wonder if push came to shove whether Melb would match an offer if he was UFA ..if they get feedback that they would get a "IN" R1 pick as comp. Why is there room for PattyD. The reason I say this , is looking at the guys who will go soon must loosen dollars. Danger would cost big time as a RFA , the number to get him may be 7 digits for many years. I doubt the Crows will do any trade this year.

If Danger was an possibility absolutely we should go for him but I think it's a pipe dream. I'd like to see Frawley as a mobile CHF similar to how he's played in patched for Melbourne. He's looked bloody good in that role and he's deceptively quick. Think if we could get him on reasonable money then he'd definitely be worth a go, likewise Goldsack (for the same role).

1 , I question that judgement , have not seen him but I question it anyway. If he is that good he should be playing VFL,SANFL or WAFL to have a better chance of getting picked.
2 , AFL ,whether its midfield or what ever is more than just having the talent.

Well some people can't make the commitment at VFL level, he is on $1200 a game at the moment + has been given a fantastic job paying $1500+ so to drop that from Lara to go to VFL where he would be getting probably $500 a game makes life difficult for him when he has a young family.

AFL Clubs know about him and are watching him

Well some people can't make the commitment at VFL level, he is on $1200 a game at the moment + has been given a fantastic job paying $1500+ so to drop that from Lara to go to VFL where he would be getting probably $500 a game makes life difficult for him when he has a young family.

Lara FC confirmed last night that this weekend will be Bloomfield's last match before he moves to QLD - not sure what that might do for any prospective draft chance he may have or maybe he doesn't want a career in AFL:

LARA has suffered a major blow with star forward Shaydon Bloomfield to play his last game for the club this weekend.
Bloomfield told the Cats’ playing group tonight he was departing the club after two-and-a-half seasons as one of the GFL’s most exciting forwards.
“‘Donny’ is moving to Queensland for work and family reasons,” coach Matt Kershaw told K-ROCK Football.com.au only minutes after Bloomfield made his announcement.
http://www.krockfootball.com.au/lara-loses-bloomfield/

Yeah, a family friend of ours was playing with the doggies VFL a few years back as a youngster and then went to Deer Park on much better money. Apparently the Pies have been looking at him as a rookie option and he's not sure if he wants to because of the financial difference of playing part time and working vs the rookie list is significant.

The payoff is huge if you get elevated but you risk going backward financially for a couple of years at least, guess you gotta weigh up what you think your chances are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back