List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your kidding. Thats just dumb. Draft best available or draft for role , sometimes draft brothers , but to draft based on friendship. Surely their friendship was 3rd or 4th in degree of importance
I'm sure they used it if it was a coin toss between two players.

Thanks for that..
Was chatting with Mr Kersten and he said that they hope he can get to the Cats too!

Mr as is Mr P Kersten?

Go Catters

Your kidding. Thats just dumb. Draft best available or draft for role , sometimes draft brothers , but to draft based on friendship. Surely their friendship was 3rd or 4th in degree of importance
Pretty sure Taylor Adams and Devon Smith are/were best mates, that didn't work out too well for them

They'd ask for a first round pick for him, I am not sure that I'd give one up for him and we wouldn't be the only one going for him. I think they manly drafted Victorian players to avoid being ripped off when the kids want to go home, when a south Australian wants go home he only has two clubs, its easy to avoid a bidding war.
Asking and getting are two different things.

I'd still enquire. If they won't budge, fine, walk away.

But remember, this year's draft is chock full of tall, top end talent. That fact might count out a number of clubs who want to hold onto their first pick to grab one of the talls or don't even ask about him (and other types) because they see better options at U/18 level. Moore is likely to chew up Collingwood's first rounder.

Wright, McCartin, Goddard, Durdin, Lever and Lamb are other names likely to be discussed a fair bit leading up to the draft.

And then there are guys like Petracca, Smith, Brayshaw, Pickett et al who will also cloud the thinking when it comes to giving up early picks.

So GWS might want a first rounder for Jaksch but the bidders might not be as plenty (or as willing to part with early picks) with a number of good tall (and midsized) options available this year.

Might work for Tomlinson as well if he wants out. However, GWS seem more enamored with him than Jaksch.

But remember, this year's draft is chock full of tall, top end talent. That fact might count out a number of clubs who want to hold onto their first pick to grab one of the talls or don't even ask about him (and other types) because they see better options at U/18 level. Moore is likely to chew up Collingwood's first rounder.

Wright, McCartin, Goddard, Durdin, Lever and Lamb are other names likely to be discussed a fair bit leading up to the draft.

And then there are guys like Petracca, Smith, Brayshaw, Pickett et al who will also cloud the thinking when it comes to giving up early picks.

So GWS might want a first rounder for Jaksch but the bidders might not be as plenty (or as willing to part with early picks) with a number of good tall (and midsized) options available this year.

Might work for Tomlinson as well if he wants out. However, GWS seem more enamored with him than Jaksch.

Didn't Tomlinson just sign an extension?

As we were linked to him , what do you think Buntine would be worth ?

Geelong seem to hate giving their R1 , my guess they would try to swing a trade of some sort for Buntine or Jacsch or whoever. Well may a Danger level they would trade it.

If you had to make a choice, who would uyou want the club to go after: Danger, Fyfe, Frawley?

Do you really have to make a choice of who you go after? The only choice is if you can get more than 1.
My guess is its getting harder by the week to get Frawley but as a FA , he is the easiest to get
The other two , are young and close to the best players in their side. Fyfe being a WA boy and Danger being a Geelong boy , I suspect the Danger trade is more likely but neither is what id call probable.
If all 3 said they want to come to Geelong... in that world of Fairy Tales , if go for Fyfe then Danger then Frawley

Its the main reason so little trades get made, there a massive gap between how clubs value what they have compared to what they want. I wouldn't want us to pay our first round pick for him but I can't see them releasing him for less than a top 20 pick. Stuff like this happens becasue the trading market has no liquidity. I wonder if being able to trade something divisible like salary cap space would increase the number of the equality of trades.

A team like St kilda could trade 400K for two years to Sydney for their first round pick.
Teams with salary cup issues could downgrade there picks to lower ones for draft picks to keep there team together or to clear space to land a big name as a free agent.

As we were linked to him , what do you think Buntine would be worth ?

Geelong seem to hate giving their R1 , my guess they would try to swing a trade of some sort for Buntine or Jacsch or whoever. Well may a Danger level they would trade it.

I am bit reluctant to trade a first round pick for someone like Buntine, he's played 11 games out of a possible 55, for a number five pick that's a little worrisome. was he lightly framed when he was drafted or has he had injury issues? I get that he's still young but with a first round pick you want to a little more sure that he will make the grade. I feel the same way about O'Rouke and Jaksch. Why have they are they so willing to pump 14 games into Corr and only four in Jaksch. When we traded in Caddy he had played 20+ game that year. For a second round pick we could roll the dice. I am not even sure I would take a them both for a first round pick( not that I think we would get the offer)

Where did you here of us being linked to a Buntine trade TC?
https://www.facebook.com/AFLSeasonAndOffSeasonNews

Victorian clubs are ready to pounce on home talent during the trade period, currently residing on Sydney and GWS's lists.

Tim Membry kicked 47 goals in his first season for Sydney's reserve side in the NEAFL, and so far has 33 off nine games this season. He stands at an awkward 188cm and 90 kg, and although not a key forward, is being heavily chased by Carlton and the Western Bulldogs with Geelong showing some interest.

Like Membery, Dean Towers is behind a long list of players who're currently ahead in the pecking order. Towers, a mature-age midfielder/forward blessed with speed and a terrific leap has drawn significant interest from St Kilda and Richmond.

GWS have a number of second to third year players, who've been earmarked to return home.

The highly regarded Kristian Jacksch has attracted interest from each Victorian-based club. Jacksch, a key position forward and defender finds himself behind a bevy of the Giants' big men, and would find greater opportunity back home in Victoria.

Former 2012 second overall selection and outside midfielder, Jonathan O'Rourke who has played just the three games has already singled his intentions to head home, and has been linked favourably to Collingwood, but would also attract plenty of interest from other clubs.

189cm, 86kg Matthew Buntine has attacked significant interest from both Geelong and Hawthorn is set to also be on the move. The 11-game defender was a former top five selection.

There could still be another Dom Tyson-esque surprise move, with Dylan Shiel, Jeremy Cameron and Jonathan Patton all linked to potential return's, however are all considered unlikely to move.

GWS however, aren't short of options either. The Giants have been linked to Collingwood defender, Jack Frost who is the older brother of the Giants' Sam.

Adelaide and Port Adelaide would be keeping tabs on former Glenelg youngster, now Collingwood player, Ben Kennedy who despite strong form in the VFL has struggled for opportunity in the senior side.

https://www.facebook.com/AFLSeasonAndOffSeasonNews

Guys - I'll be interviewing top 10 draft prospect Angus Brayshaw for my youtube show 'Beyond the Boundary' on Friday. He's the captain of the Sandringham Dragons, and rated as the best inside midfielder in the draft.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for questions to ask Angus - not just about himself as a player, but about his experience as an up and coming draftee in general.

Perhaps is there a current 1st draftee he sees that, in 6 months, he would like to see himself following on? Was there a pplayer taken in 2013 that he saw and want.. I want to follow that path... and now 6 months down the track, was he right to want to go there......?

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With your young forwards probably not coming on as well as hoped, do you think you might have any interest in Jarrod Waite for 2 years to help out Hawkins? Out of contract as a FA.

With your young forwards probably not coming on as well as hoped, do you think you might have any interest in Jarrod Waite for 2 years to help out Hawkins? Out of contract as a FA.

not really, he'll be all least 31 next year, is inconsistent. we got rid of Pods for a reason, our kids aren't going to get any better if we don't play them.

I would rather not - better off using those 2 years for development of our own young forwards coming through, Walker, Kersten or Brown (depending on who is retained).

If we do trade for a forward, I would rather it be someone who is going to be a long term player for the club and not just a filler.

I would rather not - better off using those 2 years for development of our own young forwards coming through, Walker, Kersten or Brown (depending on who is retained).

If we do trade for a forward, I would rather it be someone who is going to be a long term player for the club and not just a filler.

Yeah picking up an already injury prone key forward is not the right move. Especially when he is already 31 years old. Really bad idea.

To me they should commit to Vardy, Walker, Brown, Kersten. Any or (hopefully) all. Push games into them and find out. It's only what we've done with every other player we've ever developed.

Last edited:

Not really - we have Vardy, Brown, Walker, Kersten and way further back are Toohey and Bourke as potential. Waite has a better record but we are trying to go from within as far as I can see.

Now is you want to talk T Menzel, I'm all ears but I presume, rightly so, that price will be way too high…

Go Catters

With all their drug trouble has Essendon got any we might be interested in? It's possible a few might consider getting out.

The last one would be worth a look. Rumours are though Dank got to him, could he would have been "on the list" before the club drafted him.

I doubt it but those at his best he could become a huge steel , a bit like Lake. The context of the post though , "With your young forwards probably not coming on as well as hoped" Id say that's yet to be determined but may soon. We let Pods go to give game time to 3 or 4 players.
Vardy got injured, Brown got some game , Kersten is finally as fit as he has ever been , an is on the verge and may get games soon but the overlooked and under appreciated Walker has done little wrong. To my mind he is coming as hoped , he may not have been first choice but as it stands im not sure if get a speculative FA to replace him.

And the totally forgotten man , long shot for sure is our Menzel. He was the first and was as good as Carltons.

If a quality player that would step into our best 18 presented himself im sure we would look at it but atm I cant see us needing a FA forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back