List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well some people can't make the commitment at VFL level, he is on $1200 a game at the moment + has been given a fantastic job paying $1500+ so to drop that from Lara to go to VFL where he would be getting probably $500 a game makes life difficult for him when he has a young family.

AFL Clubs know about him and are watching him

The key word.
Im not saying its fair but its tough. What you saying is the same as what OS said he wouldn't be a Rookie. And lets face it , being a Rookie is the most probably we he comes into AFL. And that will cost him his job and the game payments. He is 25? Well he has 2 to 3 years , if he is going to make it Id say he must roll the dice, forget the job and get to a VFL club like Port or what ever and prove himself v better opponents and some AFL listed guys. At a min , he should be trying to do what Mumford did , and that's get a few games as a fill in.
Again , no matter what he will be VERY long odds to be drafted in the main , so if he is dollars focused it would never happen.

As with that recent announcement , he think he can see its unlikely to happen and has moved on

Yeah, a family friend of ours was playing with the doggies VFL a few years back as a youngster and then went to Deer Park on much better money. Apparently the Pies have been looking at him as a rookie option and he's not sure if he wants to because of the financial difference of playing part time and working vs the rookie list is significant.

The payoff is huge if you get elevated but you risk going backward financially for a couple of years at least, guess you gotta weigh up what you think your chances are.

No one said its easy , is it any different for Aust reps in Olympic sports and not all of them can see a possible pay out. I suppose when having beers at 50 , at least you know you gave it a shot.

No one said its easy , is it any different for Aust reps in Olympic sports and not all of them can see a possible pay out. I suppose when having beers at 50 , at least you know you gave it a shot.
Absolutely! I was just suggesting that the financial struggle, even moreso if you have dependants, may make it a very tough decision when you know a) You need to get on the rookie list first b) Be good enough to get a senior elevation and c) be good enough again to stay there. You have to really be confident in your ability.

It might just seem like too steep of a hill to climb for someone making decent coin if they have to go significantly backwards to start with.

A general observation

I wonder what the AFL are doing or planning to combat "FOOTBALL" , the game where our reps call themselves "Soccer-Roos"

There is no doubt they are going traction , no they will not become an instant threat but the AFL are long game thinkers and the World Cup and so many options overseas , a soccer career is a legit option. With plethora of info atm , I have heard that there is heap of development in to kids as young as 6. Overseas club are buying local ones which allow a higher grade of player to play and bring the A-League to better level and like it or not the WC is one gigantic advertisement for their game. Just like many kids pick up fringe sports when the Olympics are one , I wonder how many are watching this and decide to give the round ball game a go. Then there is concussion issue.... lots of reasons to be very aware of the threat.

Once upon a time I thought it was beyond belief , because we had the better product , the game has changed..imagine a Riolli and a Franklin playing for Aust.. they may be very likely if we are not careful

A general observation

Once upon a time I thought it was beyond belief , because we had the better product , the game has changed..imagine a Riolli and a Franklin playing for Aust.. they may be very likely if we are not careful

I do imagine ... Rioli and Motlop on the wings , Ballantyne in the box (imagine the penalties he would rack up) and Bartel distributing.

Lara FC confirmed last night that this weekend will be Bloomfield's last match before he moves to QLD - not sure what that might do for any prospective draft chance he may have or maybe he doesn't want a career in AFL:

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/lara-loses-bloomfield/

Heading off at this stage of the season mmmmm....

Maybe GFC are doing the West Coast thing of the 80's (ie hiding Heady and Kemp in WAFL reserves (Subi) so they wouldn't be drafted by anyone else.) one of my favourite conspiracy theories!!!!

I am happy to back in that we will get a decent midfield out of Selwood, Caddy, Bundy, Lang, JJ and Stokes going forward and of course we will still draft at least one more in the next 2 seasons.

So we need concentrate on a KPB - I just do not want to see someone come in more money than Selwood like Frawley might cost.

The forward line might be ok with Hawk and Vardy and Kersten/Walker/Brown. Just need 2 decent small forwards that kick goals and add a heap of pressure.

I am happy to back in that we will get a decent midfield out of Selwood, Caddy, Bundy, Lang, JJ and Stokes going forward and of course we will still draft at least one more in the next 2 seasons.

So we need concentrate on a KPB - I just do not want to see someone come in more money than Selwood like Frawley might cost.

The forward line might be ok with Hawk and Vardy and Kersten/Walker/Brown. Just need 2 decent small forwards that kick goals and add a heap of pressure.

I'd like to see us go for a tall with our first pick this year. It's a standout year for talls and we should be able to grab a good one, even if he is not in the top rung of the draft.

They are going to need to find a project ruck too.

dazbroncos , I agree we must not do anything that would exclude us going for someone like PD , but Frawley doesn't do that. Being UFA means we dont need stupid numbers to get him , although I do wonder if push came to shove whether Melb would match an offer if he was UFA ..if they get feedback that they would get a "IN" R1 pick as comp. Why is there room for PattyD. The reason I say this , is looking at the guys who will go soon must loosen dollars. Danger would cost big time as a RFA , the number to get him may be 7 digits for many years. I doubt the Crows will do any trade this year.

He is UFA not RFA so they can't match any offer, they are not allowed to.

Like with Rivers, he will choose his club and go and they get a compo pick.

They are going to need to find a project ruck too.

Agreed.

There's some good options among the underage crop, and I have liked the few games Tudor has played for us at vfl level this year. He shows good attributes and might be a rookie list option.

Agreed.

There's some good options among the underage crop, and I have liked the few games Tudor has played for us at vfl level this year. He shows good attributes and might be a rookie list option.

Mcfarlance, Tudor, Benstead all pushing their claims for rookie spots.
As I see it, Luxford, Bourke, Toohey, Bates and Shezza are the 4 listed. Shezza is the only must move if no one else upgrades. Gonna be tight for spots me thinks…

Go Catters

GFL's probably the 3rd/4th best league in Victoria at the moment, so it's not like his kicking these sort of goals on hacks. Obviously not AFL/VFL though

I wonder if it would be worth us trading for a top 5 pick to have a real crack at someone like Hugh Goddard? No idea who we'd give up, but with some serious key forward talent available this year may be worth it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd try and send a bunch of blokes to the Saint's or Dogs in return for something.

I'd try and send a bunch of blokes to the Saint's or Dogs in return for something.

Like Djerkurra, Steven King, Ryan Gamble and Charlie Gardinar.
Remind me. Who were the gems that we got for those blokes Booby?

Like Djerkurra, Steven King, Ryan Gamble and Charlie Gardinar.
Remind me. Who were the gems that we got for those blokes Booby?
OK well. King and Gardiner were given away as a good will gesture for pick 90. To ensure they could get to the club they wanted to and start training before the draft.
We used the pick for Djerkurra to upgrade Pods. So again more a good will gesture on the part of club.
Gamble was upgraded to some hack called Motlop. I think he's still on the list.

Dogs and Saints would easily look at a package of Schroeder, Brown and Smedts. I would take pick 20 for all those three.

That 'ol trick. I reckon we may have done the last of that with the Dogs when they accepted Peter Street! Though they did take Nathan Djerkurra...
You would have thought they'd stop after Callan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back