2016 AFL Fixture Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep I'm worried that we are seen as similar to North or, dare I say it, Richmond (ok that's going too far). Decent but with a soft underbelly, especially post Dangerfield.

Reality is there is only one way to go and only one way to get there

Walshy knew it. Every answer in a presser was based on a clear assessment of whether we were up to scratch yet or not

I have some confidence that Pykey is similarly no nonsense

Get the job done game day. Nothing else matters
absolutely loved Fagan's positive response to fixture questions

5AA has always been THE major contributor to alot of our inferiority complex as a state

absolutely loved Fagan's positive response to fixture questions

5AA has always been THE major contributor to alot of our inferiority complex as a state

Yeah I liked it when he said about the fixture "I want this problem every year" - it says were in the top few teams

He's a beauty

Bring it on

How have you determined "Fixture using 2014 and 2015" ladders?
Pretty simple, and as I said it's very raw.

I have the fixture in one spreadsheet and the 2015 ladder another. I do a look up of the ladder rankings of each team for each match, and get an average ladder ranking for each team's opponents for the season - then I just compare that to the average expected for that team's position on the ladder - and get an order. I then repeated the same thing but changed the ladder to the 2014 one.

Make sense?

Basically work out what the average ladder position for opposition teams for the 2015 fixture using the 2015 ladder then the 2014 ladder.

No worries. My problem is not really the objective difficulty (bring it on, I say), but rather the relative difficulty - being given a harder draw than teams who finished above us. I believe that's poor from the AFL, and North Melbourne has a tougher one than Hawthorn despite being losing preliminary finalists rather than premiers.

I understand--I just think we can't say it is a "harder draw" until it plays out--so we will agree to disagree.

Remember these clubs have to play us---we are noooo slouch team. :thumbsu:

First 10 rounds - 2 Friday night and 8 Saturday games.

movies-american-pie-reunion-seann-william-scott-stifler.jpg

Port's draw hurt them badly this year. We could face the same problem next year. But we really need to be able to knock off the Richmonds and Norths and Dogs if we want to be competitive. And we should be able to beat anyone at home.

Port wasn't good enough. They lost to North Melbourne, Brisbane, Richmond and Carlton. Those are 4 teams that we beat. That is how you get to 10 losses. That is how you end up on the outside looking in.

Their draw didn't hurt them--they hurt themselves. ;)

I know a tough draw doesn't give the team the best chance for finals, but I enjoy it much more when we are playing good teams, wins are more enjoyable and losses are understandable. So more games against quality opposition is a good thing for my football enjoyment.

Port wasn't good enough. They lost to North Melbourne, Brisbane, Richmond and Carlton. Those are 4 teams that we beat. That is how you get to 10 losses. That is how you end up on the outside looking in.

Their draw didn't hurt them--they hurt themselves. ;)

Absolutely correct. We were not good enough, hard draw or soft draw, you still have to win each game. I think we lost 8 games with less then 10 points. We listened too to much hype and didn't bring it when needed.

I think next year will be a different story, time will tell!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think everyone loves Saturday night games. From that perspective it's good.

As for the difficulty of the draw, soft draws haven't helped us in the past. All a soft draw does is set you up for a harsh does of reality in September.

Besides, there's no guarantee that 2015's good sides will be the same in 2016.

I heard James Brayshaw say once that the only way to contend for a flag, unless you're as good as Hawthorn, is to finish low one year and catch teams on the hop with your soft draw the next year.

But when was the last time this actually happened?

Soft draws are good for making the finals. They won't help you when the whips are cracking in September.

I heard James Brayshaw say once that the only way to contend for a flag, unless you're as good as Hawthorn, is to finish low one year and catch teams on the hop with your soft draw the next year.

But when was the last time this actually happened?

Bulldogs improved massively with a "soft" draw last year

We got a "soft" draw in 2012 and finished 3rd (after missing finals in 2011), almost made a Grand Final

Yeah I liked it when he said about the fixture "I want this problem every year" - it says were in the top few teams

He's a beauty

Bring it on
If we play well enough, we make the finals regardless of the draw.

Whinging about the draw is a poor excuse. We have made it before with a tough draw & missed it with an easy one.

Also, some teams will unexpectedly rise & fall.

Bottom line is the destiny is in our own hands.

Now just make it happen!

Port's draw hurt them badly this year. We could face the same problem next year. But we really need to be able to knock off the Richmonds and Norths and Dogs if we want to be competitive. And we should be able to beat anyone at home.
Ports' problem was dropping winnable games to easier teams, particularly mid season.

Port missed the finals because they played too much poor footy, not because of their draw.

I love the positivity on this board, but you must be delusional if you think this isn't the most unjust fixture for us!!!! It's not who we double up on, it's the first 8 weeks
It is entirely possible that we could only win 2 of the first 8 and that's not basing it on 2015 that's basing it in recent history against the teams we are up against!
Hawthorn, Sydney, Freo, Geelong these are teams we struggle against and haven't beaten them in at least 2 years.

you play the cards that are dealt

whingers can go home
Exactly!

We should concern ourselves about the things we can control.

If we play to our potential, we make the finals - simple.

If we don't make it, the draw will not be the major reason.

I know a tough draw doesn't give the team the best chance for finals, but I enjoy it much more when we are playing good teams, wins are more enjoyable and losses are understandable. So more games against quality opposition is a good thing for my football enjoyment.

This is how I pick the games to go to in Melbourne, go to see us play the big clubs where it's 50/50. So last year it was Collingwood and Essendon games, both crackers in their way. Have had bitter experiences going to watch us play the shitty clubs like Melbourne, we're on a hiding to nothing with games like that.

And if we do face the same problem then we aren't good enough.

Exactly!

We should concern ourselves about the things we can control.

If we play to our potential, we make the finals - simple.

If we don't make it, the draw will not be the major reason.
Really? What if going into the last game we are in equal 8th and we
play West Coast and the other team play Carlton for the second time?

Should we be expected to beat a better opponent whilst our competitor doesn't have to?

It's okay to point out we've been shafted with this draw.

Really? What if going into the last game we are in equal 8th and we
play West Coast and the other team play Carlton for the second time?

Should we be expected to beat a better opponent whilst our competitor doesn't have to?

It's okay to point out we've been shafted with this draw.

As much as i'm a proponent of anyone, anywhere, anytime, I have to agree with this.

Commercially at least it's a great draw, lots of exposure and some great timeslots... it's like VFL House consider us one of the big clubs finally.

Now we have to be good enough is all.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 AFL Fixture Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back