2016 Draft Thread - The Rebuild Begins

If available, which player do you want us to select at pick 7?

• Sam Petrevski-Seton

Votes: 123 45.6%
  • Tim English

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Ben Ainsworth

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • Griffin Logue

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • Todd Marshall

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Jack Scrimshaw

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Josh Rotham

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Oliver Florent

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Cedric Cox

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainsworth Has more ability than most of this years draftees though, Would be best available at 7 by a mile.
Agree to disagree. SPS has been marred by injuries, if you take his previous two years he would be top pick. English has skills and height. Brodie is a strong in and under player.

They all have their talents but in different ways. Very to compare apples with oranges with grape fruits.

Agree to disagree. SPS has been marred by injuries, if you take his previous two years he would be top pick. English has skills and height. Brodie is a strong in and under player.

They all have their talents but in different ways. Very to compare apples with oranges with grape fruits.
Well If Ainsworth is available you can be sure SPS will be gone by our pick. Any of SPS, Taranto, Ainsworth or Logue and i'll be relatively happy, I think 7 Is too early for English.

Well If Ainsworth is available you can be sure SPS will be gone by our pick. Any of SPS, Taranto, Ainsworth or Logue and i'll be relatively happy, I think 7 Is too early for English.

Depends on the bids for Settlefield and Bowes, also Brodie as well.

If Essendon bid on Settlefield, then chances the order and push out the likes of Ainsworth and SPS. Also, Bowes bid affects things too.

I wonder how different the top 10 ends up on the night.

We get very fixated on mock drafts. I know I do. But recruiters have a different opinion usually to bf

Even the recruiters don't know other clubs will do.

Essendon may go with McCluggage, McGrath or bid on Settleworth or Bowes

GWS want McGrath, but if McGrath gone they will go with McCluggage or Ainsworth. If their a bid on Settleworth, they may or may not match it.

Lions could bid Bowes or Settlefield and most likely the Suns will match it and who knows if GWS match the bid on Settleworth.if it comes early. They also could go with SPS, Taranto, Ainsworth, and less likely Brodie.

Suns will match any bids on Bowes, but they will need to lose a top pick. Who they go for is up in the air plus they go for English before Fremantle.

Blues again could bid for Settleworth and Bowes, then they have a choice between Ainsworth, Brodie, Taranto or SPS.

Then comes us, our recruiters have been known to not do the predictable thing.

All this carping about ruckman and contested marks, its actually unusual for a number 1 ruck to be a good contested mark. Go have a look this years list for instance. All of the ruckman in the top 40 average per game are actually ruck / forwards with the exception of Gawn (who at about 2 pg has a similar long term average to Sandi) The first pure ruck in the list after Gawn is Nic Nat at around 1.6 per game, 40th or so in the league. And he is not even 200 cm.
The only players well clear of 200 to average over (bar those only playing 4 or 5 games or less) 1.5 contested marks a game are Gawn and Lobb.

The same sort of logic should be used when it comes to English's only really standout feature ... his kicking. The only top ruckman who is a good kick is maybe Goldstein, and he only averages 6 kicks a game. English has one real strength, and it's not even that important for rucks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dirty_banchez Mock draft #2

1. McGrath - Ess
2. Taranto - GWS
3. Ainsworth - Bris
4. McClug - GC
5. Setterfield - GWS
6. SPS - Carl
7. Englsih - GC
8. Bowes - GC
9. Logue - Freo
10. Simpkin - Syd
11. Hayward - GC

Twomey's latest phantom: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-23/callum-twomeys-2016-phantom-draft

I really like some of the thinking in it in the first round.

Has us taking Brodie (which I'd be happy with personally) but Twomey's pretty clear it is still very much up in the air and could almost be anyone. He has English sliding to #19. It is pretty clear this draft is very hard to predict as to who will end up where.

He also links us to Patrick Kerr and Sam McLarty with our 2nd rounders. And then Darcy Cameron if we don't take English. Can't say I am much of a fan of any of that.

I'd be happy with Brodie at 8
Yes. I personally think the prospect of the best big bodied ball winner in the draft learning from Fyfe and Mundy is quite salivating. He also seems one of the most disciplined draftees (Fyfe would love that!). Add all that together with him being a Freo supporter and he'd almost be the safest bet to become an AFL gun in the pool if we took him with our 1st pick.

Can't see Mcluggage getting past 1, if he somehow miraculously slides to 3 then we fked up in trading pick 3 IMO

I agree. We would have got McCarthy anyway. We didn't need to cough up pick 3 for 7 and Cam.

Even if McGrath and McGluggage go pick 1 and 2 Freo had a smorgasbord of players available, Toranto, SPS, Ainsworth etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back