2016 Draft Thread - The Rebuild Begins

If available, which player do you want us to select at pick 7?

• Sam Petrevski-Seton

Votes: 123 45.6%
  • Tim English

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Ben Ainsworth

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • Griffin Logue

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • Todd Marshall

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Jack Scrimshaw

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Josh Rotham

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Oliver Florent

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Cedric Cox

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twomey's latest phantom: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-23/callum-twomeys-2016-phantom-draft

I really like some of the thinking in it in the first round.

Has us taking Brodie (which I'd be happy with personally) but Twomey's pretty clear it is still very much up in the air and could almost be anyone. He has English sliding to #19. It is pretty clear this draft is very hard to predict as to who will end up where.

He also links us to Patrick Kerr and Sam McLarty with our 2nd rounders. And then Darcy Cameron if we don't take English. Can't say I am much of a fan of any of that.

Darcy Cameron is a spud. I'd rather go in to a game with no rucks and add an extra mid he's that useless.

For Cal Twomey to say he's had a good wafl season shows he's probably not even watched him play.

I agree. We would have got McCarthy anyway. We didn't need to cough up pick 3 for 7 and Cam.

Even if McGrath and McGluggage go pick 1 and 2 Freo had a smorgasbord of players available, Toranto, SPS, Ainsworth etc
I think it was a good deal if it costs any of those other players, it is a bad deal if it costs us mcluggage

The McCarthy also got us picks 35 and 70

So without it we trade:

Mayne compensation for Hill
Third rounder for Hamling
Fourth rounder for Kersten

We probably have to trade a decent (2nd or 3rd rounder) future pick for McCarthy meaning we don't trade back into the 2nd round.

Leaving us with picks 3, 77 and 85 (apologies if those last two aren't quite right but my point stands).

McCluggage looks great but is he really worth busting a whole draft over when we could have a decent draft and we can effectively get Hamling as part of the McCarthy trade?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Most people have concerns that Brodie is just an inside mid who isn't a great kick.
The only knock on his disposal, particularly his kicking, is when he is in congestion he sometimes just bangs it on the boot. Pretty much all inside mids, including AFL guns, have a similar issue at times. It's the same beef I had with people knocking SPS's disposal this year - when you are in amongst it, naturally your disposal isn't going to be as polished as an outside mid in a paddock. With space, his kicking looks fine to me. Most importantly his vision looks really good to me (not as good as SPS but still good), so I'd back him to get better at finding the best option and clearing effectively in the future. Lining up next to Fyfe might take a bit of pressure off him also ;)

I'd be quite happy with Will Brodie ....his ability to get it out will be well suited to AFL and I know some have gone he's a bit vanilla, however have a look at where his out of the middle clearance kicks land - nearly always to advantage.

The only knock on his disposal, particularly his kicking, is when he is in congestion he sometimes just bangs it on the boot. Pretty much all inside mids, including AFL guns, have a similar issue at times. It's the same beef I had with people knocking SPS's disposal this year - when you are in amongst it, naturally your disposal isn't going to be as polished as an outside mid in a paddock. With space, his kicking looks fine to me. Most importantly his vision looks really good to me (not as good as SPS but still good), so I'd back him to get better at finding the best option and clearing effectively in the future. Lining up next to Fyfe might take a bit of pressure off him also ;)

Fyfe, Neale, Blakley & Brodie in 1 team ....the other team might not touch it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it was between a rebounding defender who may become a mid or a small forward who may become a mid I know which one we need more.

Scrimshaw over Simpkin any day. We have a few forwards who may or may not push into the middle in the future.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

So we have narrowed down our pick to the following:

SPS
Logue
Ainsworth
Taranto
Scrimshaw
Simpkin
Hayward
English

Personally, I'm still hoping Logue. Just love his work ethic, intensity, running ability and skills.

So extrapolating all this, by Friday we should have "narrowed" down our pick #7 to one of about 80 draft prospects.

Hoping we will take a male, aged between 17 and 35, that is between 170cm and 210cm tall with our first pick.
You are so conservative wayToGo_ - how about thinking outside the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back