2016 Draft Thread - The Rebuild Begins

If available, which player do you want us to select at pick 7?

• Sam Petrevski-Seton

Votes: 123 45.6%
  • Tim English

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Ben Ainsworth

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • Griffin Logue

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • Todd Marshall

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Jack Scrimshaw

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Josh Rotham

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Oliver Florent

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Cedric Cox

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im fairly content in knowing there will be plenty of talent available at our pick. Seems McGrath and mccluggage are basically zero chance while bowes and setterfield are off the table.

Even though i feel we need some genuine tall talent in the team im really hoping we take a mid with our first pick. With Barlow gone, mundy going i feel like the fyfe/neale combo is a great start and with Blakely showing plenty of potential we have the nucleus of our midfield for the next 7-8 years. Would love see an elite junior added to that mix who will no doubt get plenty of early gametime and develop quickly.

Based on that i would like to see us select one of Seton>Taranto>Ainsworth>brodie>Logue>scrimshaw in that order.

My biggest hope is that we take a "safe bet" rather than a speculative talent like scrimshaw,simpkin or english as i think in our current position with a rebuild going on a dud pick could stunt the teams growth. We need these early picks over the next 2-3 years to be good selections to set us up for our next realistic tilt at the flag.

Hopefully we can snag a development/speculative tall with one of our next 2 picks. Maybe jag a beauty like Alex Peace who was pick 37 from memory.

Thats my spin on sport.
Marcus Drum and Jayden Pitt were regarded as "safe bets" while Fyfe and A Pearce were speculative

Marcus Drum and Jayden Pitt were regarded as "safe bets" while Fyfe and A Pearce were speculative
I don't remember with Drum but surely we can't call Pitt a safe bet? He was a slider, my recollection was allot of the phantoms had him top 10 or 13 and he slid all the way to 20 (in a compromised draft). He was very very thin when drafted (70 kg despite being nearly 190).

Pitt played some games and then had heart issues, could happen to any player (now they test for any heart issues). Drum had injuries plus the Club recruiters did not understand that a 190cm player can take alot of marks in Tac Cup but that won't happen in the AFL.

Interesting story in the Worst today.

English has been hitting the gym hard. Has gone from 84kg at the u18 champs and is 92kg now.

For some reason, i think we'll take him tomorrow afternoon.
Hope he's doing it supervised by professionals. If he packs it on too quick his body won't have adapted to carrying all that additional weight and can cause injuries thick and fast.

Take an hour to read out each pick plus a bunch of fill in rubbish. We won't know our first selection until about 11pm.

Rumour posted on the Carlton board that he is very weak defensively.
RTB will have a couple of tips to help him with that.
I also reckon we've missed the Zen Buddhist midfield coach.

With specific club needs into consideration you can just about chuck a blanket round the top 10 this draft.
McInerney may be the bloke salim saw??:pHim and any of the mids would suit us.Or the mid/ruckman combo pack in the new supersized English,with a small forward on the side.
Spoilt for choice we is and it will end well.
We'll all be slurpin' frothies tomorrow arvo patting each other on the back.o_O

Do you not agree that when a team is flying and finishing top 4 regularly they can afford to take the high risk high reward type picks in the draft and hope for something special. Eg. Alex Peirce

As opposed to when a team finishes third last and has a mass list clean out they need to make their draft picks count more so. If we take speculative talents like hayward who has shown "glimpses" of potentially being something incredible and its a flop, it will prolong the time we spend at the bottom of the ladder. Eg melbourne.

I feel right now we need solid citizen type players who produce consistently and have a better chance of becoming a mundy/neale type extremely competent afl player as opposed to trying to find the next fyfe.

We can take some risks and complement our list over the years but this year and next years draft i feel need to be winners for us.

Its all a matter of opinion champ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, those Will Brodie highlights. Has that slight hunch in his back, few others that have that......
Ablett (Both), Fyfe, Carey, Kennedy....All very strong
If he is available and we pass, I'm going on strike!
I noticed that too, he has that similar lanky, bustling style of Fyfe & Kennedy.

Really hoping we get him now..

If we do go with Brodie, Neale, Brodie and Blakely will hold their own in the years to come allowing us to play Fyfe is a floating HF role and let him roam wherever he pleases. Oh, and Balic will be handy too.

Don't want the pom. But sort of want him as well. Am very confused right now.

I didn't want Brodie at all and now he's my second pick behind SPS. I've decided to go in with a complete trust exercise of our recruiters tomorrow. I melted hard when we chose Weller/Blakely/Langdon over KPFs but I've since been proven very, very wrong. So now I trust in our recruiters and whatever happens happens.

But seriously... How good would it be if SPS slides

Would be happy enough with Brodie. Our midfield strength has been built around Fyfe, Neale, Mundy and Barlow in the clinches. We need replacements for the last two. Not sure where Balic will end up playing, but Blakely is the only youngster we can lock in as an inside mid.
I agree with this, but worth pointing out that none of those were high draft picks. Inside mids are available later if needed. Also Balic plays inside. The cupboard is reasonably stocked.

Hope he's doing it supervised by professionals. If he packs it on too quick his body won't have adapted to carrying all that additional weight and can cause injuries thick and fast.
He said he'd joined a gym in the article. I guess he's being supervised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back