List Mgmt. 2016 Trade and Free Agency Targets Part 1

Who do you hope we target?

• Daniel Rich - Brisbane Lions (Free Agent)

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • Jaeger O'Meara - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 112 40.1%
  • Dion Prestia - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Tom Lynch - Gold Coast Suns(Trade)

Votes: 24 8.6%
  • Ollie Wines - Port (Trade)

Votes: 55 19.7%
  • Other

Votes: 65 23.3%
  • Peter Wright - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 23 8.2%
  • Tom Rockliff

Votes: 15 5.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind the idea of swapping next years first rounder for one this year, but I'm not sure what club would do that deal and why they would do it.

Northern clubs that want to bank next years picks for academy kids. GWS as an example may feel they've got more enough picks to get this years academy kids therefore pass on this years first for our first next year. Pretty sure they have their own first, Melb's & Coll's...maybe another for McCarthy...do they need all three or four???

I'd make some tough calls this year to get quality mids. IMO we've focused too heavily on talls & neglected the pressing need for QUALITY midfielders with pace & skill.

I'd make some tough calls this year to get quality mids. IMO we've focused too heavily on talls & neglected the pressing need for QUALITY midfielders with pace & skill.

Which is a good thing.

If you start with talls and have them slide into their prime when the mids enter their prime our time at the top should theoretically be extended.

I'm very happy the club focused on each end of the ground first before going for the mids

If anything id hold onto both ruckman for another year to work out which one we will play 1st ruck and so their value increases.

trade out our 2017 first rounder for a 2016 1st rounder then trade one of hickey or longer in 2017 for a 1st rounder.

Giving us 2 1st rounders this year and one next year.

I think both of them will mature into good players, and the only reason i'd consider a trade is that one of them will become second fiddle and want something better anyway.
Holmes is good enough for immediate backup, maybe for the next 3 or 4 years.
Pierce may or may not make it. ( backup to the backup ?)
So we'd probably need to look at recruiting another one, hopefully later in the draft or rookie draft.

Cox - Rookie
Sandilands - Rookie
Goldstein - Pick 37
Jacobs - Rookie
K Tippett - Pick 32

Plenty of other , more average rucks picked up late in drafts. Better than taking a long term risk on a Tyrone Vickery or Matthew Kreuzer with an early pick. If we were looking at trading Hickey we'd need to recruit a prospective type soon, or we'd end up needing a Rix, J Tippet, Currie , Hampson type down the track, because you can be looking at 5 seasons before these rucks come good.

I think both of them will mature into good players, and the only reason i'd consider a trade is that one of them will become second fiddle and want something better anyway.
Holmes is good enough for immediate backup, maybe for the next 3 or 4 years.
Pierce may or may not make it. ( backup to the backup ?)
So we'd probably need to look at recruiting another one, hopefully later in the draft or rookie draft.

Cox - Rookie
Sandilands - Rookie
Goldstein - Pick 37
Jacobs - Rookie
K Tippett - Pick 32

Plenty of other , more average rucks picked up late in drafts. Better than taking a long term risk on a Tyrone Vickery or Matthew Kreuzer with an early pick. If we were looking at trading Hickey we'd need to recruit a prospective type soon, or we'd end up needing a Rix, J Tippet, Currie , Hampson type down the track, because you can be looking at 5 seasons before these rucks come good.

My thoughts exactly, both our rucks could certainly play 1st ruck somewhere else. Especially with another 2 years in the system.

Which one gets traded? I still think its to early to tell.

Maybe we should try and trade something to get someones future first round pick, which might help us land some young out of contract young star next year.

Happy 100 pages boys and girls :D
last year it took us till april 15th. how the hell are we beating it. seems like activity has been down this year due to hardly any noise from media outlets of player exists.

jesus its a flashback.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...okie-draft-and-fa-megathread.1083639/page-100
me sticking up for GWS.
everyone wanting shiel and pers saying tigs are the danger
BS saying players like aish will have more influence than shiel in the next 10 years and he's only worth 500-600k.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not keen on trading our first round pick this year, would need to be a slam dunk deal to change that view.

We don't have a second round pick this year atm either so yeah definitely. If we could package up a player and our 1st pick (my guess is pick 4-6) for say picks 8-10 and 15-17 I would be very happy with that. Too early to guess where we'll finish but we're going to need to trade our way back into this draft a bit more I think.

last year it took us till april 15th. how the hell are we beating it. seems like activity has been down this year due to hardly any noise from media outlets of player exists.

jesus its a flashback.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...okie-draft-and-fa-megathread.1083639/page-100
me sticking up for GWS.
everyone wanting shiel and pers saying tigs are the danger
BS saying players like aish will have more influence than shiel in the next 10 years and he's only worth 500-600k.

Last years did start two weeks earlier, so we are a bit behind .

However if we add in the D&T kids thread its about on par.
And as I said last year, the real season is only about 6 months away

We don't have a second round pick this year atm either so yeah definitely. If we could package up a player and our 1st pick (my guess is pick 4-6) for say picks 8-10 and 15-17 I would be very happy with that. Too early to guess where we'll finish but we're going to need to trade our way back into this draft a bit more I think.

That is the last thing we want to do IMO. That was what Pelchen seemed to want to do. Get multiple players for the one pick. All that usually does is lower the quality. The best chance to get a star is with lower picks even if it means only one pick.

That is the last thing we want to do IMO. That was what Pelchen seemed to want to do. Get multiple players for the one pick. All that usually does is lower the quality. The best chance to get a star is with lower picks even if it means only one pick.
Yep, quality over quantity from now on. We have enough foot soldiers.

It was the smart thing to do at the time though, but where we are now in the rebuild its all about blue chip players.

It was the smart thing to do at the time though, but where we are now in the rebuild its all about blue chip players.

I'm unsure if it was smart or not but the second part of your statement is correct. I admit bias on this. I didn't like Pelchen and never trusted him on what I class as very good information.

Tend to agree. We needed to get in a solid base and that was the quickest way. No we are still getting high dps and no more compromised drafts, we need to use the first rounders on high end talent.

Tend to agree. We needed to get in a solid base and that was the quickest way. No we are still getting high dps and no more compromised drafts, we need to use the first rounders on high end talent.

Also trading/drafting a solid spine early helps. We all know our weakness is in the midfield and the next 2-3 years of drafting elite mids in the first round will solve that problem.

Imo we are rebuilding the right way, have we picked the right players? To early to tell yet.

First of all, I hope we throw the kitchen sink at Whitfield, exactly what we need. Secondly, finishing bottom 4 this year would probably be the best thing for the club, it gives us every chance of getting either Brodie or SPS.

If we were lucky enough to get Brodie with this years pick and swap next years first for Whitfield suddenly our midfield is looking pretty good. And that's before we pick up any FA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back