List Mgmt. 2016 Trade and Free Agency Targets Part 1

Who do you hope we target?

• Daniel Rich - Brisbane Lions (Free Agent)

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • Jaeger O'Meara - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 112 40.1%
  • Dion Prestia - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Tom Lynch - Gold Coast Suns(Trade)

Votes: 24 8.6%
  • Ollie Wines - Port (Trade)

Votes: 55 19.7%
  • Other

Votes: 65 23.3%
  • Peter Wright - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 23 8.2%
  • Tom Rockliff

Votes: 15 5.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breaks down this way IMO;
Kicking: Petrovski-Seton
Pace: Petrovski-Seton
Ball-winning: Brodie
Clearances: Brodie
Marking: Brodie
X-Factor: Petrovski-Seton
Size: Brodie

Depends on what we identify as our greatest need.

I hate comparisons - because no one is going to be compared to a journeyman type or GOP, only the guns; and that adds too much expectation and is unfair to the kids - but if I was going to do that, what you're looking at is a kind of (midfield) Cyril v Fyfe type thing.

If the draft was today and both available who would you take?

Appreciate the insight!

I almost couldn't refuse the (midfield) Cyril if given the choice, just so dangerous/a point of difference in regards to our teams general kicking skills...

To pass that up for the bigger guy you'd want to be pretty bloody confident he could get to Fyfe type levels of domination. But geez we'd love that Fyfe/Bont/Cripps type as well, no doubt.

Really interesting thought given we all know we just need 'THE BEST' mid we can take.. yet at the same time, 'team needs/composition' is beginning to creep into the equation more and more as well. Especially as we'll now be looking to roundout our midfield with the right (& varied) 'types'.
No dramas. IMO we still need gun ball winners more than the 'cream' types. Brodie is a jet, and a big game player and I'm an unabashed fan, but it'd be a great problem to have.

When I say SPS has the superior skills, I really mean the edge in that regard; Brodie is highly skilful in his own right.

My worry around SPS is whether we have the cattle yet to get the best out of him. His class is no good chasing the opposition.
I'd hoped we'd be OK for inside mids, but whilst we have a lot of them, not many are looking like doing what we need.
Looking at averages for contested possessions for really good insiders we see
Ablett - Season 1: 6, 2: 8 3:8 4: 9 5: 8 6:10 general improvement noticed every two years minimum.
Fyfe - Season 1: 7, 2: 12, 3: 12 general improvement every year
Dangerfield - Season 1: 3, 2: 7, 3: 9, 4: 10 general improvement every year

Then our guys.
Armitage - Season 1: 2, 2: 4, 3:8, 4:8, 5: 8, 6: 11 general improvement noticed every two years minimum
Steven - Season 1: 3, 2:4 , 3:8, 4: 9, 5:11 general improvement every year.

Ross- Season 1: 7( one game), 2:6 , 3:6, 4: 7 , 5: ( 5 -2 games ). largely static.
Curren - Season1 : 6, 2: 6, 3:,3 No improvement.
Minchington - Season1 :4, 2: 5, 3:5 minimal improvement.
Dunstan - Season 1 : 8, 2: 7, 3: 6( after 2 games ) - decline
Acres - Season 1: 6, Season 2: 6 , Season 3 ( 1 game ) 10

Jack Newnes , who is not largely considered an inside player averaged 7 contested disposals last season.

I really don't have a lot of confidence in this lot, and I guess if we thought Brodie could turn into a better than average ball winner, then we still need one. But if he's only going to be another "almost" we'd be better to go for the outside player.
Simply, Brodie is more talented than those blokes - Armo and Steven perhaps notwithstanding.

You don't win the MCC President's Medal and Best On in the U17s v NZ 'Anzac match' by being a mug.

I'd give him almost zero chance of being an 'almost'.
If the draft was today and both available who would you take?
Brodie. We need class, but he's 10cm and 10kg bigger than SPS, an aerial threat and a fine kick and goal threat in his own right. Plus he's great around the stoppages and not a plodder.

SPS is all class, but we need to get the ball first.

Last edited:

He said he was on the outer for good reason so unless he knows the good reason I would suggest he meant ability and yes you have to trade something of value to get a top 10 pick but I reckon he said the only 4 players you wouldn't trade.
What?

Trade 2017 1st round pick + extras for Whitfield.
Draft Wil Brodie with 2016 1st round pick.

Enter 2017 season with Whitfield & Brodie added to the list.

End of 2017, reassess the list. Trade out a player of a position that we have a surplus of to receive a 2nd rounder or better.
Trade the 2 2nd round picks to a club with an academy for points for them in return for their 1st rounder.
Recruit best available versatile mid at our pick.

That's 2 gun 1st round picks plus Whitfield in the next 2 offseasons. Do it

Trade 2017 1st round pick + extras for Whitfield.
Draft Wil Brodie with 2016 1st round pick.

Enter 2017 season with Whitfield & Brodie added to the list.

End of 2017, reassess the list. Trade out a player of a position that we have a surplus of to receive a 2nd rounder or better.
Trade the 2 2nd round picks to a club with an academy for points for them in return for their 1st rounder.
Recruit best available versatile mid at our pick.

That's 2 gun 1st round picks plus Whitfield in the next 2 offseasons. Do it

Don't think Whitfield is keen on that.

I think we have pretty good method going forward just let down by execution time and time again.

So I hope that whoever we draft/trade/sign are quality users of the ball.

All of them from next year and forever forward (unless we get the chance to sign Fyfe, I could live with his disposal if he came to the Saints).

No dramas. IMO we still need gun ball winners more than the 'cream' types. Brodie is a jet, and a big game player and I'm an unabashed fan, but it'd be a great problem to have.

When I say SPS has the superior skills, I really mean the edge in that regard; Brodie is highly skilful in his own right.

My worry around SPS is whether we have the cattle yet to get the best out of him. His class is no good chasing the opposition.

Simply, Brodie is more talented than those blokes - Armo and Steven perhaps notwithstanding.

You don't win the MCC President's Medal and Best On in the U17s v NZ 'Anzac match' by being a mug.

I'd give him almost zero chance of being an 'almost'.

Brodie. We need class, but he's 10cm and 10kg bigger than SPS, an aerial threat and a fine kick and goal threat in his own right. Plus he's great around the stoppages and not a plodder.

SPS is all class, but we need to get the ball first.
not always the best gauge but he was very good last year in a pretty average WA side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would we have to get rid of this year to net another top 15 pick that we'd be ok losing?

If Port came in with a pick 12 or something offer for Hickey I'd jump

Who would we have to get rid of this year to net another top 15 pick that we'd be ok losing?

If Port came in with a pick 12 or something offer for Hickey I'd jump

They domt need hickey, they get ryder back next year.

tigers on the other hand might bite, not saying we should trade him though.

Nor am i but if this draft runs deep like some people seem to be saying I'd think we'd need some high picks to start rebuilding this midfield.

After watching the dogs we all know the team needs to work on that section of the ground severely. It was infuriating seeing Fisher V Boyd in defence knowing Carlisle and Goddard are waiting in the wings but at least they're there.

Nor am i but if this draft runs deep like some people seem to be saying I'd think we'd need some high picks to start rebuilding this midfield.

After watching the dogs we all know the team needs to work on that section of the ground severely. It was infuriating seeing Fisher V Boyd in defence knowing Carlisle and Goddard are waiting in the wings but at least they're there.

If anything id hold onto both ruckman for another year to work out which one we will play 1st ruck and so their value increases.

trade out our 2017 first rounder for a 2016 1st rounder then trade one of hickey or longer in 2017 for a 1st rounder.

Giving us 2 1st rounders this year and one next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back