2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

that much money for a young mid, he would have to be an A grade player already IMO. eg dylan sheil, dion prestia.
Josh Kelly>Dion Prestia imo and as much as I would love Dylan Shiel he is in my opinion unattainable. Just no way the Giants let him go and if he did want out just about every other club in the league would be lining up with big money offers. Josh Kelly is such a good young player. Is almost certain to be an A grader I would have thought. Sooooo classy and clean with the footy.

Last edited:
Shiel, Conigilio, Neale
I would be willing to throw so much money at Coniglio it isn't funny(Shiel as well but as I stated in the post above absolutely unattainable imo and Coniglio isn't far behind him). Stephen Coniglio is a quick, classy, inside and outside beast who runs both ways and lays a good number of tackles per game. Would honestly offer him 800k over 7 years. He is going to be an A grade midfielder for the next 10 years.

I would be willing to throw so much money at Coniglio it isn't funny(Shiel as well but as I stated in the post above absolutely unattainable imo and Coniglio isn't far behind him). Stephen Coniglio is a quick, classy, inside and outside beast who runs both ways and lays a good number of tackles per game. Would honestly offer him 800k over 7 years. He is going to be an A grade midfielder for the next 10 years.

Did not mean $750 for anyone - butt we must realise we have to pay over.

On that, I have just watched GWS v Crows. Not only Vic clubs have us covered - the SA teams are after Giants players too - and they can offer 12 home games at a packed Adelaide oval with the others trips to the MCG/Eddieshat or Perth. How can we offer that experience?

Did not mean $750 for anyone - butt we must realise we have to pay over.

On that, I have just watched GWS v Crows. Not only Vic clubs have us covered - the SA teams are after Giants players too - and they can offer 12 home games at a packed Adelaide oval with the others trips to the MCG/Eddieshat or Perth. How can we offer that experience?
Plus actual facilities.

Having a forward who can ruck and genuinely hold his own in either position would be extremely handy however I think Freeman could do this long term.
Do people see Schache developing into more of a roaming Centre Half Forward or a deeper forward?

AND...Key forwards who can ruck are rare and are very hard to replace!!!....Why I don't mind going after Daw

A young gun mid would indeed be a fantastic investment. Does anyone want to throw out some names of some young, quality mids that would be worth throwing a large contract at e.g. Boyd's contract at the Dogs and Treloar's at the Pies? I would be willing to throw a large sum of money over 6 years at a mid who is a "sure thing" to be a high level player who is in the 20-23 age bracket.

Tom Mitchell, Josh Kelly and Jack Steele are 3 that instantly spring to mind. It was reported that some Vic clubs were willing to offer Treloar a 7-8 year deal worth $750, 000 a year and I believe his deal with the Pies was that sum per year for 5 years. If the Lions offered Josh Kelly $750, 000 a year over 6 years in an attempt to lure him I would not be disappointed at all. A safe investment in my opinion.

I really don't want a young Gun mid, it is our forward and backline that sees us being flogged week in week out, are we going to just ignore our structural problems again for another offseason? Last year we looked up and lost all confidence to kick the ball forward, this year.. we leak goals like a siv, our backline is a gigantic mess. When Jackson Paine is the saviour / answer to your back line woes, you know you're in trouble.

We need a spine, and we need to add an experienced forward and 2 experienced backs, plus a couple of top up mature aged backs ala Marcus Adams from the state leagues.

Last edited:
I really don't want a young Gun mid, it is our forward and backline that sees us being flogged week in week out, are we going to just ignore our structural problems again for another offseason? Last year we looked up and lost all confidence to kick the ball forward, this year.. we leak goals like a siv, our backline is a gigantic mess. When Jackson Paine is the saviour / answer to your back line woes, you know you're in trouble.

We need a spine, and we need to add an experienced forward and 2 experienced backs, plus a couple of top up mature aged backs ala Marcus Adams

We need a spine, and we need to add an experienced forward and 2 experienced backs, plus a couple of top up mature aged backs ala Marcus Adams from the state leagues.
We have key position players,they need games.We dont have classy hard, Pendlebury, and Kennedy type on ballers

We have key position players,they need games.We dont have classy hard, Pendlebury, and Kennedy type on ballers

A mature tall defender would be super, so would another ruckman on the list.

Personally, I feel our forward line has worked somewhat well this year considering the beatings we have had.

What about Tom McDonald from Melbourne? He is uncontracted according to the Drafts and Trading board
No chance. His brother plays for Melbourne and he stated he wants to stay. I think his waiting because the salary cap might increase at the end of the year, hence more money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need players who can break lines,with speed endurance and elite disposal.The doggies don't have any high ranked key backs or forwards,they make do with guys like Stringer. The Swans have one.We need running power and contested ballwinners.
The Doggies are ranked the number 1 defensive side in the comp. You win premierships with defence. We need to sort out our defence first. Doggies might not have A grade KPD, but they have experienced A grade quality defenders in Murphy, Wood, Boyd, Morris and Suckling. That's where most of their experienced players are.

Look at how impressive Carlton has been this year. They are ranked the 7th best team for points scored against them, with Doggies, Swans, Cats, Eagles, GWS and North all ahead of them. Simpson, Tuohy, Jamison, Plowman, Docherty, Weitering and Thomas have been great for them.

In a way it's disappointing because Leppa was a defensive assistant coach and I would of thought we needed to recruit mature experienced players that we can add to guys like Andrews, Cutler, McStay and Gardiner. Maybe it's the recruiting teams fault in not identifying players, yet if you look at a club like Sydney who recruited players like Laidler, Talia and Rampe for next to nothing to address their defensive needs.

We need to be a good defensive group first before we start talking about finals and we have been poor in these area for a couple of years. Currently we have all part time defenders in Christensen, C.Beams, Paine and Mayes in our back line. It's inexperienced group at the moment.

Last edited:
Agree we need to target some quality key defenders first. I'd have a look at some from GWS, Nick Haynes is one that stands out who could come to Brisbane for more opportunity. I'd try and package him up with maybe someone like Hoskin-Elliot as he'd add to our forward line while we let Schache still develop alongside Freeman and possibly Hipwood.

Agree we need to target some quality key defenders first. I'd have a look at some from GWS, Nick Haynes is one that stands out who could come to Brisbane for more opportunity. I'd try and package him up with maybe someone like Hoskin-Elliot as he'd add to our forward line while we let Schache still develop alongside Freeman and possibly Hipwood.
I knew on draft day that we were really keen on drafting Haynes. I think GWS found out about our interest in Haynes and selected him before our pick. We ended up with Longer :(.

Haynes would be a quality player we would need, but I doubt they would trade him. Unless he pulls a Boyd or McCarthy stunt, but that not going to happen.

Last edited:
No chance. His brother plays for Melbourne and he stated he wants to stay. I think his waiting because the salary cap might increase at the end of the year, hence more money.

That's misleading...Tom put contract talks on hold... that's not always a good sign...but it's surrounding the possibility that his brother could be delisted at the end of the year.... so far has only managed 5 senior games, 3 this year, since being drafted in 2014.... see links below

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ld-holds-off-on-contract-20160524-gp2pgs.html

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ald-troubled-against-gws-20160326-gnrj9u.html

Last edited:
That's misleading...Tom put contract talks on hold... that's not always a good sign...but it's surrounding the possibility that his brother could be delisted at the end of the year.... so far has only managed 3 senior games since being drafted in 2014.... see links below

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ld-holds-off-on-contract-20160524-gp2pgs.html

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ald-troubled-against-gws-20160326-gnrj9u.html
It's one thing to put contract talks on hold and it's another thing for Tom McDonald to come to Brisbane. Unless we have a history of sustained success of playing finals every year like Sydney, there is no chance McDonald would want to come here.

I'm saying it's not impossible, but I don't see a reason why he would want to play for a basket case of a club with terrible facilities, when he would get similar money if he stayed home and played for a powerhouse clubs like Collingwood, Hawthorn, Carlton, Richmond, etc.

I cannot see why we would draft a ruck/forward this year. A true ruck maybe but a ruck/forward when we have the current group and Ballenden coming through next year seems a waste to me. We might look at a short term option whilst the current group matures but Marshall would be surplus to needs imo.

You know a lot more about any potential draftees than I do Quigley, I just suggested Marshall as an example of how his age/upside etc fits our list a lot better, and would cost us comparitively little (if we had surplus picks to burn), rather than losing a substantial lot more trying to secure a player in the system like Jenkins for instance.

I'm also not entirely sold on Walker long term as a viable ruck option, nor if Freeman can actually be relied upon as a ruck. Ballenden is a little ways away yet, and nobody seems to be talking about Archie anymore. If either of West or Martin go down to injury we are well and truly stuffed.

The bonus attracting me to Marshall is that he has a touch of class and skill about him and could even turn out a really solid forward if not ruckman. Get to hedge our bets a tad ;)

If him and Schache were on our list and turned out to be genuine young stars, I doubt any of us would be complaining that we have a surplus of forwards :)

It's one thing to put contract talks on hold and it's another thing for Tom McDonald to come to Brisbane. Unless we have a history of sustained success of playing finals every year like Sydney, there is no chance McDonald would want to come here.

I'm saying it's not impossible, but I don't see a reason why he would want to play for a basket case of a club with terrible facilities, when he would get the same money if he stayed home and played for a powerhouse clubs like Collingwood, Hawthorn, Carlton, Richmond, etc.

If he is testing the water as mentioned in the link..
"As McDonald continues to test the market, his form has dipped compared with his impressive 2015 season".
. it would include what amount of money any of the other 17 clubs had to offer wouldn't it?.... We would be included in that 17!!!... If both brothers were available.. how many clubs would be prepared to pick up both?

If he is testing the water as mentioned in the link... it would include what amount of money any of the other 17 clubs had to offer wouldn't it?.... We would be included in that 17!!!... If both brothers were available.. how many clubs would be prepared to pick up both?

By all reports we have a massive war chest of cash available in our salary cap to out bid any club for player like say Hurley or McDonald, but they don't want to come to Brisbane.

Lets say if we offered him around $800,000 and Victorian clubs offered him $700,000. Tell me why would he want to play for a bottom four club with crap facilities?

What makes our club so special that he has chosen us over the 16 other clubs?

By all reports we have a massive war chest of cash available in our salary cap to out bid any club for player like say Hurley or McDonald, but they don't want to come to Brisbane.

Lets say if we offered him around $800,000 and Victorian clubs offered him $700,000. Tell me why would he want to play for a bottom four club with crap facilities?

What makes our club so special that he has chosen us over the 16 other clubs?

Firstly Melbourne clubs will be cuing up to raid GWS and GC players wanting to return back to Melbourne..GWS will have reduced salary cap comes into effect..GWS will own the draft again

.2ndly how many clubs would have or would be offering the $700,000 you proposed for a Melbourne player that is yet to duplicate his 2015 form? ..I would suggest not many!! Otherwise Melbourne would have offered him that already to retain his services..Melbourne's problem is their money is tied up on Hogan, Viney, Jones & Gawn..For McDonald to be paid well over the market value he needs to go where the money is That may be us may not ..one thing for sure being a Vic country boy, maybe the life style and the possibiliy playing alongside other Vic country lads that seem to enjoy the Brisbane lifestyle could be very enticing .

Question right back at you...If things are as bad as you say, all doom and gloom, and you cant see any light at the end of tunnel with the Club.. why do you continue to follow them?...

Firstly Melbourne clubs will be cuing up to raid GWS and GC players wanting to return back to Melbourne..GWS will have reduced salary cap comes into effect..GWS will own the draft again

.2ndly how many clubs would have or would be offering the $700,000 you proposed for a Melbourne player that is yet to duplicate his 2015 form? ..I would suggest not many!! Otherwise Melbourne would have offered him that already to retain his services..Melbourne's problem is their money is tied up on Hogan, Viney, Jones & Gawn..For McDonald to be paid well over the market value he needs to go where the money is That may be us may not ..one thing for sure being a Vic country boy, maybe the life style and the possibiliy playing alongside other Vic country lads that seem to enjoy the Brisbane lifestyle could be very enticing .

Question right back at you...If things are as bad as you say, all doom and gloom, and you cant see any light at the end of tunnel with the Club.. why do you continue to follow them?...
When did I say it's all doom and gloom?

I follow this club because I loved watching guys like Brown and Blacky as a kid. I been a Lions supporter always and until the day I die.

I guarantee you that if Boyd can get 1 million dollars then McDonald can get around the $700,000 mark from Victorian clubs. He's a proven KPD and only 23. He would be ahead of any GWS and GC players that are coming out of contract besides Prestia.

All I'm saying is it's a pipe dream that Tom would choose us, out of all the clubs in Victoria and for him to move his whole life away from his family & friends to live in Brisbane. I would understand if he wanted to come to Brisbane if his family was moving there, his father or mother lived in Brisbane or his girlfriend was from Brisbane, something like that would make sense, but their isn't any type of those connection linked to us.

Last edited:
levi casboult is OOC at the end of the year, would he be worth another look? 26 years old and a very good contested mark and can pinch hit in the ruck. his set shot accuracy was good last year (62%) but has dropped off this year from his 6 games, maybe browny can give him some one on one coaching.

younger than jenkins and IMO a better contested mark, would come cheaper than the 750 K reported offer for jenkins.

Agree we need to target some quality key defenders first. I'd have a look at some from GWS, Nick Haynes is one that stands out who could come to Brisbane for more opportunity.

He might switch clubs for cash, but he wouldn't swap for "more opportunity". He's firmly one of the first selected every week for GWS, regardless of their line up.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back