2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

gee. the giants list build strategy has been remarkably good compared to the suns. we need to be using the lamberts link with the giants in any discussions.

maybe we could give them rich + our first and we get marchbank/tomlinson/steele and their 1st pick (collingwood hopefully finish in the bottom half). unfortunately daniel is never going to be the elite talent we all thought he would be when we first drafted him by the look of it.

Rich just signed an extended contract, wouldn't have thought he is going anywhere. Personally I am a big fan of his and I think in our team where skills (e.g. hitting targets) are an issue we really need a guy like him who is an a-grade kick.

I do prefer option one though (#3 for GWS quality midfielder + #7) as #7 still sits us nicely to draft some elite talent as well.
yep, looks like it's going to be another active trade/FA/draft period for us again this year.

i yearn for the day when these types of threads eg. trade/FA, when to sack the coach, training/admin facilities etc are not even needed and we can move onto the threads like- are we now in the premiership window? how many all australians will we have this year 5 and under or over 5? who is going to the MCG to support the boys in the GF?

Rich just signed an extended contract, wouldn't have thought he is going anywhere. Personally I am a big fan of his and I think in our team where skills (e.g. hitting targets) are an issue we really need a guy like him who is an a-grade kick.
understand where you are coming from and i agree we are virtually no chance to trade him, just a bit of speculation. i would like to see them try daniel for an extended period of time off the half back line in a luke hodge type role. he is just not a consistent enough performer for me in the midfield, if he is getting a hold of the opposition he is tagged and he falls out of the game.

yep, looks like it's going to be another active trade/FA/draft period for us again this year.

i yearn for the day when these types of threads eg. trade/FA, when to sack the coach, training/admin facilities etc are not even needed and we can move onto the threads like- are we now in the premiership window? how many all australians will we have this year 5 and under or over 5? who is going to the MCG to support the boys in the GF?

Haha you and me both. But I'm staying positive...reflecting on how many promising young players we have on our list this season, compared to each and every season of the past ten, I think the list management/drafting sides of things is looking really really good. Seems like we are becoming a bit of a Geelong in the sense that we have nailed all our picks the past couple seasons (bar the GH5 obviously) into becoming genuine best 22 players.

All this hype about whether Leppa should stay or go I won't comment on, but if he has been a genuine key deciding part in honing in on and drafting these particular players over the last few seasons, then that is a massive tick next to his name. Our drafting has been very impressive of late.

understand where you are coming from and i agree we are virtually no chance to trade him, just a bit of speculation. i would like to see them try daniel for an extended period of time off the half back line in a luke hodge type role. he is just not a consistent enough performer for me in the midfield, if he is getting a hold of the opposition he is tagged and he falls out of the game.

And the question is, when will we have that quality team on the park with Rich so that he can be that type of player? He's not getting any younger, and I feel he may be past his prime in a few years by the time we do actually get up and running and have a genuine crack at it. In which case....if we can get good trade value for Rich now and be able to get a player who can contribute more now and continue doing so, then I think it may be a smart move. Rich will be excellent in that role. I am just wondering if we have time to see it in his timewith the Lions.

Haha you and me both. But I'm staying positive...reflecting on how many promising young players we have on our list this season, compared to each and every season of the past ten, I think the list management/drafting sides of things is looking really really good. Seems like we are becoming a bit of a Geelong in the sense that we have nailed all our picks the past couple seasons (bar the GH5 obviously) into becoming genuine best 22 players.

All this hype about whether Leppa should stay or go I won't comment on, but if he has been a genuine key deciding part in honing in on and drafting these particular players over the last few seasons, then that is a massive tick next to his name. Our drafting has been very impressive of late.
couldn't agree more, since leppa has come on board at the end of 2013. our national drafts selections still at the club-

2013- gardner, mcstay, taylor, cutler, robertson, freeman.
2014- dawson, andrews, watts, mcgrath, mcguinness, clayton.
2015- schache, hipwood, keays, matheison, skinner.

only one to leave is aish (pick 7 2013), agree we look like we have pretty well nailed those drafts except for mcguinness and watts. clayton has been extended so the coaches must like what they see and skinner is highly rated and we haven't seen him play yet.

couldn't agree more, since leppa has come on board at the end of 2013. our national drafts selections still at the club-

only one to leave is aish (pick 7 2013), agree we look like we have pretty well nailed those drafts except for mcguinness and watts. clayton has been extended so the coaches must like what they see and skinner is highly rated and we haven't seen him play yet.

I agree, I love the way we have recruited the last few years. Some really good players in this lot and for many years to come too I hope

2014 hasn't looked too flash. Andrews if obsviously the standout. Watts and McGuinness aren't up to it. Can't see Clayton getting a game unless mass injuries. McGrath is constantly injured unfortunately.

Not sure bout Dawson, could be alright but hard to know where he will play in the future. Kicked 5 goals in the NEAFL but has been playing HBF is the seniors?

2013 and 2015 have been massive winners tho. Already roughly 8 best 22 there with 3 very promising.

Talk of nailing drafts reminds me of how excited people were after the 2010 and 2011 drafts.
2010- polec, karnezis, lester, green, c.beams.
2011- longer, docherty, yeo, weardon.

busts- karnezis, weardon. docherty and yeo look like being really good players, polec B grader? longer, will take more time being a ruckman.
beams, green, lester maybe still good selections, time will tell.

player management looks like it was the issue in those years rather than the selection itself.

on another issue i hope we never draft a young ruckman as a 1st selection again (longer/luenberger), leave them to the trade/FA table or a lower/rookie pick IMO. too much of a gamble to waste a top 10 talent on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talk of nailing drafts reminds me of how excited people were after the 2010 and 2011 drafts.

2008 is the one that sticks in my memory.

Why are people complaining about the 2014 draft was that ever meant to be a good draft for us we traded away all our quality picks for Beams and Christensen
I would say picking up Beams Christensen and Robinson was a pretty good off-season
Yeah it's a shame we traded our first pick to get that Beams bloke
The 2014 trade period was great, the draft period is what people are saying hasn't been flash. We still had picks available that we used and there are still quality players available down the line like Matho etc.

The 2014 trade period was great, the draft period is what people are saying hasn't been flash. We still had picks available that we used and there are still quality players available down the line like Matho etc.
We didn't enter the draft until pick 65? Dawson and Harris were already tied up to picks before going into draft night. There's not really much more we could've done at the draft table? There's literally no one of note taken after our first selection...

Trading #3 down for a multiple of later picks (i.e. say #5 or #6 + 2nd rounder), will give us further buffer to draft academy kids, and possibly take a McLuggage/Brodie/SPS/SPP still at that slightly later first round selection. Wouldn't mind the club going for big 197cm Todd Marshall if he continues his good form (can he be that true forward + ruck that we have been wanting??), provided we weren't missing out on an elite midfielder in doing so.

Jy Simpkin could be a late slider due to his broken leg. Parfitt might be available mid-late first round also.

But above all else, making sure that whatever we do, we have the picks to still cover drafting Watson/Rolls/Allison etc etc.

Pick 5 or 6 won't remain pick 5 or 6. It will drop at one or two spots as the top academy kids are bid on and matched by their respective clubs. Unless there are some names that move rapidly up the draft boards, McLuggage/Brodie/SPS won't be available at pick 5 or 6. These are the top three rated non academy kids in the draft. They will be the drafted by the clubs at the top who aren't Academy clubs. Right now, GC is the only Academy club in the bottom 10 (right now pick 4) apart from us (pick 3). And I wouldn't be surprised if GC tried trading up to pick 1 so they can pick one of the top kids and not have to use their first pick on matching a bid on an academy player.

If we traded back to pick 5 and there was no other movement amongst the top 5 teams, this probably what would happen.

Reverse Standings for draft order
Pick 1 Freemantle
Pick 2 Essendon
Pick 3 Richmond (traded places with Brisbane)
Pick 4 Gold Coast
Pick 5 Brisbane (traded places with Richmond)

Possible scenario
Pick 1 Jack Bowes to Gold Coast - match Fremantle's bid on their academy player. (Gold Coast lose pick number 4 matching the bid)

Pick 2 Sam Petrevski-Seton to Fremantle.

Pick 3 Harrison Macreadie to GWS - match Essendon's bid on their academy player.

Pick 4 Hugh McLuggage to Essendon.

Pick 5 William Brodie to Richmond.

Pick 6 Sam Powell-Pepper to Brisbane.

I do prefer option one though (#3 for GWS quality midfielder + #7) as #7 still sits us nicely to draft some elite talent as well.

I disagree about elite talent being available at pick 7. Especially when 3 of the top 7 rated kids are tied to other academies and that possibly stretches out to 5 of the top 12 kids being tied to other academies.

A lot will hinge of what GC do with their first round selection. They could package pick 4 and a want away player for pick 1 and and a second round pick. Giving them the choice to draft the top rated non academy kid, plus the points to match bids on their two academy boys. Or they could draft out of the first round giving another team non academy team pick 4.

The supposed Jenkins deal was raised on The Couch and Brownie (whilst saying he didn't have any inside knowledge) said that he thinks that it would be a good idea with the young Forward in Schache and Hipwood. David King rebutted with that type of money he would be going after a gun mid from GWS. I have to agree with King on that one.

Just to add and I'm not saying we should but Vickery is a FA and not sure if he has signed on but he would be one you think the club would also look at.

The supposed Jenkins deal was raised on The Couch and Brownie (whilst saying he didn't have any inside knowledge) said that he thinks that it would be a good idea with the young Forward in Schache and Hipwood. David King rebutted with that type of money he would be going after a gun mid from GWS. I have to agree with King on that one.

Just to add and I'm not saying we should but Vickery is a FA and not sure if he has signed on but he would be one you think the club would also look at.
When we are offering guys like Walker 400k+ just to meet the minimum salary cap requirements it goes to show we aren't afraid to pay a premium to lure players. If we were throwing 750k at Jenkins I'd have to agree with King as well. If Jenkins and his manager showed some level of interest with that sort of offer we should definitely pursue it but I would be more then happy for the club to throw 750k-900k at someone like Dylan Shiel. Probably never going to happen but a huge offer would be tempting for some players(Not necessarily Shiel but someone of his quality). Just on the topic of Shiel god I am envious of the Giants. He is still only 23 and he is racking up high disposal numbers on a regular basis, he uses it well, his contested possession and clearance numbers are really good and his tackle numbers are solid as well. DBeams and Shiel working in tandem would be magnificent.

Speaking of gun GWS midfielders I wonder if Josh Kelly could be lured North with a big money offer. Oozes talent and class and would be such a handy addition to our midfield brigade. Highly unlikely that anyone in GWS' best 22 would want to leave let alone to come to the Lions but money does talk. Just look at Ablett, Franklin and Tom Boyd.

When we are offering guys like Walker 400k+ just to meet the minimum salary cap requirements it goes to show we aren't afraid to pay a premium to lure players. If we were throwing 750k at Jenkins I'd have to agree with King as well. If Jenkins and his manager showed some level of interest with that sort of offer we should definitely pursue it but I would be more then happy for the club to throw 750k-900k at someone like Dylan Shiel. Probably never going to happen but a huge offer would be tempting for some players(Not necessarily Shiel but someone of his quality). Just on the topic of Shiel god I am envious of the Giants. He is still only 23 and he is racking up high disposal numbers on a regular basis, he uses it well, his contested possession and clearance numbers are really good and his tackle numbers are solid as well. DBeams and Shiel working in tandem would be magnificent.

Speaking of gun GWS midfielders I wonder if Josh Kelly could be lured North with a big money offer. Oozes talent and class and would be such a handy addition to our midfield brigade. Highly unlikely that anyone in GWS' best 22 would want to leave let alone to come to the Lions but money does talk. Just look at Ablett, Franklin and Tom Boyd.
Agree wholeheartedly on Kelly. Absolute gem!

i agree with david king on this one, jenkins is no way worth that kind of money if that is correct. he gets the 2nd or 3rd defender at the crows and would be getting the number 1 defender if at the lions, at 27 years of age you would assume he is at his peak now, he is not an elite forward, probably a bit of an upgrade on walker though. i would be for it if it was say 400/450 K for 3 years.

i keep saying it but if we are throwing 750 K and 5 years around for jenkins i would much rather add another 100 K and offer michael hurley 850 K and 5 years, he is only 25 and is an A grade to elite key position defender who can swing forward and kick goals. if he just played forward he is a better option than jenkins in that role anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back