Mega Thread 2016 Trade/Free Agency Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Australian reporting we will make a play for Cloke. You get the feeling they know Ty is leaving via FA.
Don't know what I think about this. It could be a master stroke or an absolute disaster. If he doesn't demand a huge salary worth a shot I think.
If we do get Cloke it's a sign of intent. It's finals or bust for Hardwick and Co.
not a fan of Cloke but given "on the Couch" Dimma said "we are still looking for that 2nd key fwd to stand up alongside Jack" i can see where he comes into our thinking. i'd rather we draft another Key Fwd instead

Collingwood back loaded Cloke's contract he is on close t a million next season

If we took him it would only relieve a little of that cap pressure ( we pay 300 Collingwood pay 700)

Even if he plays VFL the whole year it means we get him for the cost of a first year player and leave Collingwood with enough cap problems to restrict their ability to trade

That's a win
contract is the other way around

My thoughts RE recruiting Travis Cloke:

1) It'd be nice if he was 25 or 26 and had 7 or 8 years left, however considering that we've lost Chaplin, and most likely will lose Maric, we'll still be a younger overall squad next season, despite him being 29/30 years old. And provided we do our due diligence in regards to his health, we should still get 60-80 games out of him over the next 4 or 5 years.

2) Whether he takes the 1st or 2nd tall defender each week, his inclusion in our team will be a massive win for Ben Griffiths, who would get a lesser defender each week due to the need for teams to cover both Riewoldt and Cloke with their absolute best. The flow on effect from having a big name player down there (regardless of past form) will be massive for a guy like Griffiths, who will be able to influence more games as a result, and build his overall game in 2017.

3) For all of Cloke's struggles in 2016, he is still an elite contested marking player, which is something our forward line has lacked for many years. Griffiths does some good contested marking work up the ground, and Jack can obviously clunk them Inside 50 at times (when he's there), but we've needed one more guy capable of doing it at an elite level, and that is something we just have not had (cue dismay at Vickery's performances). As a result, teams have been able to accurately predict that the ball will come to ground more often than not, and use that to their advantage on the rebound. If we bring in a player such as Cloke into our forward line setup, and surround him with a combination of Rioli, Yarran, and Edwards, our forward line would be quite dangerous both in the air, and at ground level, as Cloke has a far better capacity to put pressure on than Vickery ever will.

4) It's looking ever likely that McBean and Elton won't make the cut, and that Vickery will be at a different club, which means if we want improvement in our tall stocks, we need to regenerate our squad in that area through the drafting of youngsters. However, it's rare to draft a tall player that is able to play in year 1 or even year 2 on a consistent basis, so we need a ready-made player to fill that void while we have fresh faces developing in the two's. Cloke would be the perfect 3-5 year stop-gap in this regard, and if he was to get back to his best form, he would be even more than that, which is something you couldn't say about Brad Miller or Aaron Edwards in those roles.

I would be interested in hearing the other side of this debate, however I haven't been reading any substantial points as to why Cloke would be bad, except for trollish comments like "more moneyball bullshit", which doesn't clearly and concisely outline the negative impact of Travis Cloke on the team.

Sen reported Cloke to tiges done deal- flick me- appears Hartley swung the deal a week ago-do these clowns have any idea? No membership for me next year if this happens (30 year member)
20 year 3121 2 membership 's ,the club and the clokes can get stuffed .
I've been a loyal supporter through all the sh!t but if this happens it will cap of a disastrous season .
Collingwood prefer Jesse White over Cloke ,think about that .:mad::mad::'(:thumbsdown:

I'm not certain Cloke is the answer. If we could get him for cheap (3rd round draft pick) then I would be open to the idea but anything more than that and he would only be a stopgap for a couple of years. I would much prefer to see Griffiths and Jack work along side Lloyd, Lennon, Rioli, and Edwards than go back to three talls and reduce our forward pressure with the lack of pace from the smaller forwards. Cloke is a one trick pony and unfortunately he has run his race. He can take a grab but his mental demons have effected his kicking so much that his team mates can not rely upon him. He could be good if he was leading from the goal square but I just think Collingwood would make us pay too much for what he would be able to offer us....

You know how deficient we are in the tall forward department?

Depth looks really poor in there - if Vickery leaves and Griffiths goes down, it is only Riewoldt in there. So, getting a player playing in Cloke's position makes sense - even if it is only for a season or two.

Cloke is a viable short-term option for the club as long as the club does not give away a lot for him.

dude.jpg biscuits.jpg biscuits.jpg
TRAVIS CLOKES SECRET RICHMOND INDUCTION TEST MEETING.
BLAIR H TO TRAVIS! "TRAVIS DO U KNOW WHO THIS GENTLEMAN IS.
TRAVIS CLOKE SIGHS , **** YER, THATS THE DUDE WHO UNLOADED HIS FUTURE BABIES ONTO HIS BISCUITS AND FED THEM TO HIS PUPILS.
BLAIR TO CLOKE, " WELCOME SON TO RICHMOND"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thoughts RE recruiting Travis Cloke:

1) It'd be nice if he was 25 or 26 and had 7 or 8 years left, however considering that we've lost Chaplin, and most likely will lose Maric, we'll still be a younger overall squad next season, despite him being 29/30 years old. And provided we do our due diligence in regards to his health, we should still get 60-80 games out of him over the next 4 or 5 years.

2) Whether he takes the 1st or 2nd tall defender each week, his inclusion in our team will be a massive win for Ben Griffiths, who would get a lesser defender each week due to the need for teams to cover both Riewoldt and Cloke with their absolute best. The flow on effect from having a big name player down there (regardless of past form) will be massive for a guy like Griffiths, who will be able to influence more games as a result, and build his overall game in 2017.

3) For all of Cloke's struggles in 2016, he is still an elite contested marking player, which is something our forward line has lacked for many years. Griffiths does some good contested marking work up the ground, and Jack can obviously clunk them Inside 50 at times (when he's there), but we've needed one more guy capable of doing it at an elite level, and that is something we just have not had (cue dismay at Vickery's performances). As a result, teams have been able to accurately predict that the ball will come to ground more often than not, and use that to their advantage on the rebound. If we bring in a player such as Cloke into our forward line setup, and surround him with a combination of Rioli, Yarran, and Edwards, our forward line would be quite dangerous both in the air, and at ground level, as Cloke has a far better capacity to put pressure on than Vickery ever will.

4) It's looking ever likely that McBean and Elton won't make the cut, and that Vickery will be at a different club, which means if we want improvement in our tall stocks, we need to regenerate our squad in that area through the drafting of youngsters. However, it's rare to draft a tall player that is able to play in year 1 or even year 2 on a consistent basis, so we need a ready-made player to fill that void while we have fresh faces developing in the two's. Cloke would be the perfect 3-5 year stop-gap in this regard, and if he was to get back to his best form, he would be even more than that, which is something you couldn't say about Brad Miller or Aaron Edwards in those roles.

I would be interested in hearing the other side of this debate, however I haven't been reading any substantial points as to why Cloke would be bad, except for trollish comments like "more moneyball bullshit", which doesn't clearly and concisely outline the negative impact of Travis Cloke on the team.
good points here, i'd go along with this if we Draft a KPF or 2 to develope under him & they are ready to go in 2-3 yrs time. also depends on trade price as well.
clearly Vickery will be gone as will McBean & Elton is backup next yr & has next yr to come through. tho if we were sure on this we wouldn't be going for Cloke in the 1st place

20 year 3121 2 membership 's ,the club and the clokes can get stuffed .
I've been a loyal supporter through all the sh!t but if this happens it will cap of a disastrous season .
Collingwood prefer Jesse White over Cloke ,think about that .:mad::mad::'(:thumbsdown:

I don't know if this is true, RE Collingwood prefering White over Cloke, however if it is, it's not an indication of Cloke's ability, it's an indication of their pig-headedness.

Unfortunately I can't really talk shit about that, because Dimma is the same when it comes to Vickery.

Both of them are shit, and don't deserve to be at AFL level any longer. Travis Cloke is a proven elite performer that has been stripped of his confidence because of a shitty Collingwood game-plan not utilising his strengths, whereas Jesse White is a guy who keeps doing enough to survive, but will never be more than a very, very, very, very average footballer.

View attachment 278078 View attachment 278079 View attachment 278079
TRAVIS CLOKE SIGHS , **** YER, THATS THE DUDE WHO UNLOADED HIS FUTURE BABIES ONTO HIS BISCUITS AND FED THEM TO HIS PUPILS.
fdcc0ac7f116efb085a6f28f4fa908cb.jpg

Strong rumours hurley has re-signed, the kool aid is strong down at Tulla

****ing discount dan at it again!!

View attachment 278078 View attachment 278079 View attachment 278079

An apt username mate, as you seem to have about the same level of humour, wit, and cohesion in your storytelling as a Scott Steiner promo does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back