Mega Thread 2016 Trade/Free Agency Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
not a fan of Cloke but given "on the Couch" Dimma said "we are still looking for that 2nd key fwd to stand up alongside Jack" i can see where he comes into our thinking. i'd rather we draft another Key Fwd instead

Yeah but Dimma thinks we're making finals next year, hence why they want Cloke. It's an all or nothing strategy.
Either Cloke re-discovers his best form and he leads us back into the finals.. Or he is his shit - and Dimma is gooooooorrrrrrrnnnnnnn!!

e3555ee541efc02ff0cfa406bdb69df5.jpg

So if we did that deal with GWS, and got 15 + 16 for our 6 + 42, then we did the following:

1 - Trade Pick 15, in exchange for Prestia + 2nd round pick from GC.

2 - Trade the 2nd round pick from GC + our 4th round, in exchange for Cloke + 3rd round pick from Collingwood.

We lose:

Pick 6
Pick 42

We gain:

Prestia
Cloke
Pick 16

Geddit done Tiggers :cool:

I'm warmed up to the idea that Cloke will be at Richmond next year.

Let's be honest, we don't want a complete rebuild do we? He is better than what we have and there is nothing else out there in the way of tall forwards. He can be a damaging, game breaking player (showed that against GWS a month or so ago) at his best and he would be a great partner for Jack, as he would still easily take the best defender as if he got the second best, he would likely destroy them.

He is currently 29 and we don't have many older players so it doesn't hurt our list profile, Deledio being the oldest and only 30 years old is not the best situation as we need another older head, plus he will come cheap (happy to trade Batchelor for him) and might still have 2 or 3 good years left.

Reality is it can't hurt to get him cheap.

Conca for Crozier sounds like a good deal but unsure if we need him?

I still think we could have almost gone down the path of one or two other ready-made players to go with the likely signing of Prestia. But besides Cloke, Crozier and Prestia we should just go draft. Unless of course Hurley and/or Fyfe are actual possibilities.
Actually I'd still really look at some combo of Steele, Marchbank, or Ahern from GWS.

If the rumours are true about Will Brodie shunning teams lower than us, then that would be great to get him at pick 6, he will come straight in. I'd be happy to leave Vlastuin back if that's the case.

I reckon we also need to seriously get to loading the midfield and resting them forward. In 2013 we seemed to play Dusty, Cotchin and Deledio through the middle a lot and then rest them forward. I've barely seen Cotchin there since then. I want the same from Corey Ellis, I reckon a bit more bulk and he's gonna be a gun midfielder who can rest forward. He's wasted down in the backline. Short and Vlastuin are the only ones I'm happy about being there that could have been elsewhere, and I still prefer Vlastuin in the center.

Also, I've enjoyed seeing Houli on the wing and called that change a year ago, sorry to boast. Others probably did too.

Off season can't come quickly enough.

interesting that the TV to the Hawks seems to have some legs.

I mentioned it several pages ago, was told from a guy at work. maybe his mail is fairly accurate!

a) Someone mentions something on BigFooty.
b) Damian Barrett/Jon Ralph read about it on BigFooty
c) AFL or Herald Sun publishes an article, using phrases like "it is believed", "sources close to the club"
d) Article gets talked about on BigFooty

Circle of life.

My thoughts RE recruiting Travis Cloke:

1) It'd be nice if he was 25 or 26 and had 7 or 8 years left, however considering that we've lost Chaplin, and most likely will lose Maric, we'll still be a younger overall squad next season, despite him being 29/30 years old. And provided we do our due diligence in regards to his health, we should still get 60-80 games out of him over the next 4 or 5 years.

2) Whether he takes the 1st or 2nd tall defender each week, his inclusion in our team will be a massive win for Ben Griffiths, who would get a lesser defender each week due to the need for teams to cover both Riewoldt and Cloke with their absolute best. The flow on effect from having a big name player down there (regardless of past form) will be massive for a guy like Griffiths, who will be able to influence more games as a result, and build his overall game in 2017.

3) For all of Cloke's struggles in 2016, he is still an elite contested marking player, which is something our forward line has lacked for many years. Griffiths does some good contested marking work up the ground, and Jack can obviously clunk them Inside 50 at times (when he's there), but we've needed one more guy capable of doing it at an elite level, and that is something we just have not had (cue dismay at Vickery's performances). As a result, teams have been able to accurately predict that the ball will come to ground more often than not, and use that to their advantage on the rebound. If we bring in a player such as Cloke into our forward line setup, and surround him with a combination of Rioli, Yarran, and Edwards, our forward line would be quite dangerous both in the air, and at ground level, as Cloke has a far better capacity to put pressure on than Vickery ever will.

4) It's looking ever likely that McBean and Elton won't make the cut, and that Vickery will be at a different club, which means if we want improvement in our tall stocks, we need to regenerate our squad in that area through the drafting of youngsters. However, it's rare to draft a tall player that is able to play in year 1 or even year 2 on a consistent basis, so we need a ready-made player to fill that void while we have fresh faces developing in the two's. Cloke would be the perfect 3-5 year stop-gap in this regard, and if he was to get back to his best form, he would be even more than that, which is something you couldn't say about Brad Miller or Aaron Edwards in those roles.

I would be interested in hearing the other side of this debate, however I haven't been reading any substantial points as to why Cloke would be bad, except for trollish comments like "more moneyball bullshit", which doesn't clearly and concisely outline the negative impact of Travis Cloke on the team.
Mate, this is BF! Your doing it all wrong, dont come in here with your opinions and give rational explanations for them! No room for balanced views in here ;)

I'm warmed up to the idea that Cloke will be at Richmond next year.

Let's be honest, we don't want a complete rebuild do we? He is better than what we have and there is nothing else out there in the way of tall forwards. He can be a damaging, game breaking player (showed that against GWS a month or so ago) at his best and he would be a great partner for Jack, as he would still easily take the best defender as if he got the second best, he would likely destroy them.

He is currently 29 and we don't have many older players so it doesn't hurt our list profile, Deledio being the oldest and only 30 years old is not the best situation as we need another older head, plus he will come cheap (happy to trade Batchelor for him) and might still have 2 or 3 good years left.

Reality is it can't hurt to get him cheap.

Conca for Crozier sounds like a good deal but unsure if we need him?

I still think we could have almost gone down the path of one or two other ready-made players to go with the likely signing of Prestia. But besides Cloke, Crozier and Prestia we should just go draft. Unless of course Hurley and/or Fyfe are actual possibilities.
Actually I'd still really look at some combo of Steele, Marchbank, or Ahern from GWS.

If the rumours are true about Will Brodie shunning teams lower than us, then that would be great to get him at pick 6, he will come straight in. I'd be happy to leave Vlastuin back if that's the case.

I reckon we also need to seriously get to loading the midfield and resting them forward. In 2013 we seemed to play Dusty, Cotchin and Deledio through the middle a lot and then rest them forward. I've barely seen Cotchin there since then. I want the same from Corey Ellis, I reckon a bit more bulk and he's gonna be a gun midfielder who can rest forward. He's wasted down in the backline. Short and Vlastuin are the only ones I'm happy about being there that could have been elsewhere, and I still prefer Vlastuin in the center.

Also, I've enjoyed seeing Houli on the wing and called that change a year ago, sorry to boast. Others probably did too.

Off season can't come quickly enough.
thoughts on Markov back when he can be HFF/wing?
i agree the Drafting is still important this year & next. can't bring in too many Players in tho from other Clubs if we are to do much damage in the Draft IMO

Seemed pretty obvious to me on Monday night with Dimma that he was lamenting the fact that we didn't have an established second KPF. The same week it's reported that Cloke is coming to us. Doesn't seem like a coincidence to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bringing in Cloke would be a predictably incompetent move from our football administration so I would be backing this right in to happen.

The fact that Dimma did not come out and deny this rumour to be true, should shake you all to the bone .it is ON like Donkey Kong.

Can someone please explain to me what use we have for a 30 year old fat slow hack that cant kick and that hasn't played a good game in 3 years.

Why are we throwing a lifeline to a bloke who treated us like we were a joke ( to be truthful we were and still are a joke) 10 years ago.

I seriously cannot understand the level of incompetence in our football department.

No wonder my son wants to support GWS.

It just shows the mindset of the club. Obviously they still think that if we have a good trade/draft period, regenerate the assistant coaches and modify the gameplan we will play finals next year. Dimma has said he expects to play finals in 2017.

It doesn't worry me as Dimma and the board will have backed this so in 2017, we will either a) play finals b) re-build with a new coach... Therefore, there is no c) option of stay in mediocrity

If Richmond get Will Brodie (assuming he will become a gun player pretty quickly) and Prestia this year and secure Nat Fyfe in 2017 without losing their top tier players, they will be a pretty decent side with Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Rance and Yarran already here. Only issue is sorting out that forward line. Well, if Cloke comes here and has an impact like Jarrad Waite at North Melbourne, then he'd be an alright get too.

So if we did that deal with GWS, and got 15 + 16 for our 6 + 42, then we did the following:

1 - Trade Pick 15, in exchange for Prestia + 2nd round pick from GC.

2 - Trade the 2nd round pick from GC + our 4th round, in exchange for Cloke + 3rd round pick from Collingwood.

We lose:

Pick 6
Pick 42

We gain:

Prestia
Cloke
Pick 16

Geddit done Tiggers :cool:

Don't think GC would accept pick 15 for Prestia and rightly so, he is better than that.

They definitely wouldn't accept pick 15 for Prestia and their second rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back