2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Stephenson making a few clubs reconsider their draft boards. Top 3 from what I've heard.
Is certainly not a pure/silky user of the ball like say a Bont, but he is certainly getting a fair bit of it of late. Personally, I'd have him mid 1st round but that's just me.

Stephenson is starting to prove that he can play midfield and win some ball and clearances, that he isn't just limited to being outside or taking marks up forward. A mid having that has that kind of x factor up forward is a highly wanted trait. If we secured another high pick i wouldn't mind if we took a bit of a gamble and went for him. But i still think we need a Dow type first and foremost.

Witherden and Cox are going to give us some rebound from the back and down the wings, Hugh and Lewy will provide some polish and class going inside 50 and some goal kicking power. Matho and Berry will give us some grunt through the middle, but i struggle to find another 2 names to hold down our midfield in 5 years time. We need some genuine ball winning clearance mids, and i hope we load up with our first 2 picks this year.

Stephenson's literally been doing this all year. I was laughed at a couple of months ago when I suggested he'd go top 3.

Not shouted down though?

What does Ballenden actually project as now? A few promising games in the championships down back doesn't make him a defender yet. Is he still projecting as a raw ruck who can go forward?

If so, he just doesn't seem like the sort of player who you would burn pick 5-6 on. He's the perfect academy player really because you get them for a discount and then can afford to develop them slowly.

I'm reasonably confident pick 12 will remain live, but we'll get a better feel come trade week if Noble starts making noise about moving up.

Callum Twomey in the latest AFL Draft podcast did a lot of different top 5's for the draft (tpo 5 inside mids, outside mids, tall forwards etc). He listed Ballenden as the third best ruckman. when talking about him he said that at the next level he'd probably need to be a ruckman.

he also answered a question re: when a bid would come and said expected 15-20.

I found it a bit weird. He didn't list him as a top 5 KPF or KPD. was 3rd for ruck but somehow is still going to be bid on at 15-20.

Honestly wouldn't mind Stephenson at pick 1 he certainly fills a need if he can continue to build his body and improve his contested work. Has high upside and on par with Rayner IMO but still a risk to take at pick 1 though. Could just become an outside player that continually shows glimpses but held back by poor contested work or a franchise midfielder in the Bont/Fyfe mould if he can build his body has some freakishness and just makes things happen when he is near the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly wouldn't mind Stephenson at pick 1 he certainly fills a need if he can continue to build his body and improve his contested work. Has high upside and on par with Rayner IMO but still a risk to take at pick 1 though. Could just become an outside player that continually shows glimpses but held back by poor contested work or a franchise midfielder in the Bont/Fyfe mould if he can build his body has some freakishness and just makes things happen when he is near the ball.

Especially now that he has a reasonable haircut.

Stephenson is starting to prove that he can play midfield and win some ball and clearances, that he isn't just limited to being outside or taking marks up forward. A mid having that has that kind of x factor up forward is a highly wanted trait. If we secured another high pick i wouldn't mind if we took a bit of a gamble and went for him. But i still think we need a Dow type first and foremost.

Witherden and Cox are going to give us some rebound from the back and down the wings, Hugh and Lewy will provide some polish and class going inside 50 and some goal kicking power. Matho and Berry will give us some grunt through the middle, but i struggle to find another 2 names to hold down our midfield in 5 years time. We need some genuine ball winning clearance mids, and i hope we load up with our first 2 picks this year.

Ben Keays not ring a bell?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ben Keays not ring a bell?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There are a few other names that will around about. I like Keayes, but i hardly see him being a starting center square midfielder in 5 years leading our midfield division. I see him being a solid B grade player, maybe best 22 that can contribute and rotate through the middle, but i can't say i see him being our next Zorko/Beams/Rocky when those 3 are gone. TBH, i have the same issue with Matho as well. I don't see him filling the void of those 3. We need some genuine AA calibre star mids.

LDU looked pretty amazing in the highlights of Dandy beating Eastern in finals...........Nat Edwards n Cal Twomey suggested he maybe the new Number 1 on that performance............looked bloody good

LDU looked pretty amazing in the highlights of Dandy beating Eastern in finals...........Nat Edwards n Cal Twomey suggested he maybe the new Number 1 on that performance............looked bloody good

Dragged them right back in it. Would love to know what he was like around the ground with the heat was on in that last 1 and half quarters but just from the highlights you can see 5 very important score involvements. I like him.

Callum Twomey in the latest AFL Draft podcast did a lot of different top 5's for the draft (tpo 5 inside mids, outside mids, tall forwards etc). He listed Ballenden as the third best ruckman. when talking about him he said that at the next level he'd probably need to be a ruckman.

he also answered a question re: when a bid would come and said expected 15-20.

I found it a bit weird. He didn't list him as a top 5 KPF or KPD. was 3rd for ruck but somehow is still going to be bid on at 15-20.
Bit odd. In the NEAFL GF he looked good on the lead, marked the ball pretty well and wasn't bad below the knees or agility wise either. And that wasn't against scrubs either.

LDU has always been my preferred top pick for the Lions.

I continually flip flop at 12, but an LDU & Hunter Clark duo would certainly look like another good draft.

Hypothetically if we had 1 and 5/6 who would you like to see us draft, briz?

LDU and Coffield or Stephenson.

That's another I flip flop on. "If" Schache was traded and netted us Collingwood's first round pick I probably lean towards Coffield. Big kid, fast and good ball user and reportedly one of the few leadership types in this years draft. Long term Coffield, Witherden and Cox bring the ball out of defence looks very enticing.

Who is more likely to reach their ceiling, Coffield or Stephenson? Stephenson might have a Fyfe like ceiling, but there's more risk he doesn't get there.

LDU and Coffield or Stephenson.

That's another I flip flop on. "If" Schache was traded and netted us Collingwood's first round pick I probably lean towards Coffield. Big kid, fast and good ball user and reportedly one of the few leadership types in this years draft. Long term Coffield, Witherden and Cox bring the ball out of defence looks very enticing.

Who is more likely to reach their ceiling, Coffield or Stephenson? Stephenson might have a Fyfe like ceiling, but there's more risk he doesn't get there.

No love for Dow? Coffield is a nice one though. Berry, LDU and Coffield in just a few years could be a very imposing and powerful, hardworking midfield with a nice bit of zip to go along with the outside class we're building.

Bishop cotter101 Quigley

Out of curiosity do you guys have any word which range clubs see Coffield falling?

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back