2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No love for Dow? Coffield is a nice one though. Berry, LDU and Coffield in just a few years could be a very imposing and powerful, hardworking midfield with a nice bit of zip to go along with the outside class we're building.

Bishop cotter101 Quigley

Out of curiosity do you guys have any word which range clubs see Coffield falling?

I like Dow, but have Rayner and LDU ahead of him.

I said it quite a while ago now, but from a Lions perspective, LDU is a slightly larger and significantly faster version of Rockliff, while Dow is a taller version of Zorko.

I like Dow, but have Rayner and LDU ahead of him.

I said it quite a while ago now, but from a Lions perspective, LDU is a slightly larger and significantly faster version of Rockliff, while Dow is a taller version of Zorko.

Interesting. Dow being similar to Zorko is precisely why I want us to draft him. When he moves to the forwardline/retires there is presently no one on our list that can offer what he does. One of the primary reasons for my attraction to Dow. It's arguable that we don't have a clearance player that can do what Rocky does at his best too but there seems to be a better hit rate for them from low picks than a Zorko type, even if we managed to luck out getting Zorko for peanuts.

No love for Dow? Coffield is a nice one though. Berry, LDU and Coffield in just a few years could be a very imposing and powerful, hardworking midfield with a nice bit of zip to go along with the outside class we're building.

Bishop cotter101 Quigley

Out of curiosity do you guys have any word which range clubs see Coffield falling?

One respected person on the weekend suggested he could be gone before the Saints' Picks at 7/8 - In that top 10 mark. I've always had him in the mix as one of the five contenders for No.1 pick - but I think the Lions won't take him so have been running with the 'final four' lately.

Bishop cotter101 Quigley

Most top 10.

I've never imagined him as pick 1 material like Bishop might have. We'll either go Stephenson or Dow with pick 1 I think. Stephenson is starting to really be acknowledged more and fits in perfectly with what Fagan said he wanted.

Callum Twomey in the latest AFL Draft podcast did a lot of different top 5's for the draft (tpo 5 inside mids, outside mids, tall forwards etc). He listed Ballenden as the third best ruckman. when talking about him he said that at the next level he'd probably need to be a ruckman.
he also answered a question re: when a bid would come and said expected 15-20.
I found it a bit weird. He didn't list him as a top 5 KPF or KPD. was 3rd for ruck but somehow is still going to be bid on at 15-20.
Twomey has been banging on recently that he sees Ballenden as a KPD at AFL level ..... good to see he has come to his senses and sees what the rest of us see (though I'm still a bit surprised he didn't have him top 5 KPF as well)

Stephenson's literally been doing this all year. I was laughed at a couple of months ago when I suggested he'd go top 3.

Someone last year on here was hoping we would take him with pick 1.

Twomey has been banging on recently that he sees Ballenden as a KPD at AFL level ..... good to see he has come to his senses and sees what the rest of us see (though I'm still a bit surprised he didn't have him top 5 KPF as well)
I know Knightmare has been pushing that barrow, can't recall Twomey really pushing it at all.

Any chance the club actually sees Bellenden as a ruck first that can move forward or back? If so makes Schache Hipwood and Bellenden in the same team far more balanced. Also addresses the looming ruck depth issues we may have when Martin either moves on or eventually retires.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Any chance the club actually sees Bellenden as a ruck first that can move forward or back? If so makes Schache Hipwood and Bellenden in the same team far more balanced. Also addresses the looming ruck depth issues we may have when Martin either moves on or eventually retires.

You don't rate Smith or McInerney?

We've been crying out for relief ruck that can play forward, in a David Hale type role for a long time. If Ballenden can play that type of role that would be perfect.

We've been crying out for relief ruck that can play forward, in a David Hale type role for a long time. If Ballenden can play that type of role that would be perfect.
I would be hesitant to throw a kid into the ruck too soon. Walker can play that role for the moment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what it's worth, my mail (which is very good) is that Brisbane are heavily interested in players coming from Eastern Rangers. Those high up (in no order) are:

Jaidyn Stephenson (Smokey for 1)
Adam Cerra
Sam Hayes

All expected to go early.

I find it interesting that 99% of all talk on all news/radio stories is Raynor goes pick 1. Yet in all talk on this board, no one mentions him? Why is that?

There were rumors that he's a candidate to want to go home, but has there been any evidence?

I find it interesting that 99% of all talk on all news/radio stories is Raynor goes pick 1. Yet in all talk on this board, no one mentions him? Why is that?

There were rumors that he's a candidate to want to go home, but has there been any evidence?

1. Go home
2. Ability to be a full time, two-way running midfielder

Stephenson, LDU are arguably ahead of Rayner now. Massive finals by them.

For what it's worth, my mail (which is very good) is that Brisbane are heavily interested in players coming from Eastern Rangers. Those high up (in no order) are:

Jaidyn Stephenson (Smokey for 1)
Adam Cerra
Sam Hayes

All expected to go early.

And if we are looking for "late" value:
Ryley Stoddart
Dylan Moore
Jackson Ross

Absolutely, ruck depth is the concern though. Martin gone and one of those guys injured leaves the cupboard very bare.

Stef has still got a couple of years left. I don't think we can have anymore than 3 on our list although in addition to that you'd want a couple of makeshift ruckmen. If we had 3 go down we may need to ruck Walker, Ballenden or even Andrews.

Evidence? We've got plenty. Mouth guard colour... insta-likes... smiling in photos... Chinese whispers.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back