List Mgmt. 2017 Trade and Free Agency Discussion - #Leverpulled and #Harleyrevved

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah fair call. It might be something like those you mentioned being front ended a few years ago, and our contract with Lever also being front ended, meaning what he'd be on next year would be their biggest earner.

Was just a thought, given I've read Brian Taylor suggested as some sort of Covert Pro-Victoria Operative today, such musings seemed apt.

He’s not-so covert f*ckwit

Adelaide supporters are pretty mad about it, changing the thread title to "Weak Flog Jake Lever" nominates to go to Victoria and with some even going as far to say they hope he gets an ACL.

I don’t see how we can afford to pay Lever close to what is being reported and still keep a team together

- Vince on significantly less money next year
- Jones coming to the end of a very lucrative deal, his next will be much cheaper
- I'm assuming we frontloaded Lewis as there wasn't many guys at our club on big money when he joined
- Watts would be on 500-600k and he looks gone

Ideal trade period would be , trade the weed for pick 6 to the pies , offer pick 6 and our second round for lever . Trade pick 10 for gaff ... keep watts .... a lower pick for Mumford .... Demons for the flag 2018

Our highest paid players include, Walker (c), Sloane, Jacobs, Betts, Talia, Crouch. The club has always spend close to all of its salary cap. We have long advocated a player payment structure that is more equitable than some clubs, however extremely similar to model used by clubs like Geelong and Hawthorn.

As Burton mentioned in his press conference, the final offer to Lever would not have made him the highest player at the club, but certainly well and truly in amongst the top 4-5 players at the club (based on reported contracts with other players). It is believed Adelaide offered Lever around the $600-650K range. Burton mentioned that if the club had of matched the offer from Melbourne, it would be a seismic departure from the existing payment plan as well as making Lever the highest individually paid player at the club. This would make the reports of offers to Lever in the range of $800-900K entirely plausible, based on reports Adelaide were approximately $200K under the Melbourne offer.

Another part of our problem is that we need to keep room in the salary cap for players we also rate highly who will be coming off of contract next year. This includes M.Crouch, R.Laird, L.Brown, T.Lynch to name few.

Yes, a lot of pissed off Adelaide fans right now. On top of the GF performance this isn't helping. The anger is complex and would take longer than I am prepared right now to explain.

Last edited:
Our highest paid players include, Walker (c), Sloane, Jacobs, Betts, Talia, Crouch. The club has always spend close to all of its salary cap. We have long advocated a player payment structure that is more equitable than some clubs, however extremely similar to model used by clubs like Geelong and Hawthorn.

As Burton mentioned in his press conference, the final offer to Lever would not have made him the highest player at the club, but certainly well and truly in amongst the top 4-5 players at the club (based on reported contracts with other players). It is believed Adelaide offered Lever around the $600-650K range. Burton mentioned that if the club had of matched the offer from Melbourne, it would be a seismic departure from the existing payment plan as well as making Lever the highest individual player at the club. This would make the reports of offers to Lever in the range of $800-900K entirely plausible, based on reports Adelaide were approximately $200K under the Melbourne offer.

Another part of our problem is that we need to keep room in the salary cap for players we also rate highly who will be coming off of contract next year. This includes M.Crouch, R.Laird, L.Brown, T.Lynch to name few.

Yes, a lot of pissed off Adelaide fans right now. On top of the GF performance this isn't helping. The anger is complex and would take longer than I am prepared right now to explain.
I do feel for you guys. You have had it pretty tough losing guys like Gunston, Davis, Tippett and Danger. Hope it all works out in the end that both our clubs can be happy after the trade and draft periods.

I do feel for you guys. You have had it pretty tough losing guys like Gunston, Davis, Tippett and Danger. Hope it all works out in the end that both our clubs can be happy after the trade and draft periods.
I cannot help but feel that there is quite a bit more of this to play out yet, and it may get a little spiteful. Que cera

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cannot help but feel that there is quite a bit more of this to play out yet, and it may get a little spiteful. Que cera

Yeah I was speaking to my mate at GWS and he said Burton’s conference is viewed as a no no. It seems to send the right message to supporters now, but if you fold (which is just as likely as not) you lose credibility with other teams negotiating with you in the future. My mate also said that if this sours further the PA will pipe up and AFL will make sure Lever doesn’t go to PSD. Expect nastiness here.

Yeah I was speaking to my mate at GWS and he said Burton’s conference is viewed as a no no. It seems to send the right message to supporters now, but if you fold (which is just as likely as not) you lose credibility with other teams negotiating with you in the future. My mate also said that if this sours further the PA will pipe up and AFL will make sure Lever doesn’t go to PSD. Expect nastiness here.
Good. Pretty clear MFC and Lever has followed all the rules.

AFLPA is still chasing greater ease of movement for players. Something has to give though. Agree, Adelaide's hands are largely tied in this trade. Seems insane that a player who has just finished his 3rd year in the system can cause so much angst. Probably to some degree driven by BT and the media circus he's created.

Already looking like Adelaide is going to be painted badly throughout as wholly to blame.

AFLPA is still chasing greater ease of movement for players. Something has to give though. Agree, Adelaide's hands are largely tied in this trade. Seems insane that a player who has just finished his 3rd year in the system can cause so much angst. Probably to some degree driven by BT and the media circus he's created.

Yeah I’m actually on the clubs side in this. Players have way too much power. The CBA should have been a huge pay increase in the proviso that they lose all rights to their tradeability. Just like the nba. They trade you, you walk.

Like I said in the Oliver thread, as long as they can play, don't break the law and don't **** with team harmony I don't care how shit a bloke they are :D
I think you mean Dont get caught breaking the law

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Im happy with 1st plus second, but I would go as far as paying 10 + 2018 1st for Lever and 17.

They get 2 firsts, we stay in the first round.

2018 first is really valuable to them because there are a lot of good kids from SA at this stage.

We keep a 1st this year which keeps our age profile grouped.

Actually, thinking about this further, they're worse off with this from a points perspective (if we're to do something incredible like make the finals) than just 10 and 27 (I know points aren't everything, but they're the only objective measure available (arbitrary, but almost objective)).

We'd probably need to upgrade our second to their first and have them throw in their 52 - which on points, puts him around pick 4. Which is about right I reckon.

Gives us Lever, 16 and 52.

Gives them 10, our 2018 1st (say 11-14), 27.

The 52 we get, along with our 45 gives two potential JT specials - or trade one of them for Balic (as rumoured).

From a list position, we have 5 spots to fill (potentially six with Watts going).
Bring in Lever, bring in Balic, use 16 in the draft and use our last two live picks to upgrade Maynard and Smith.

Watts then becomes interesting... could we use whatever we get to upgrade 16 or take a 2018 second rounder for him and take 52 to the draft.

Id be looking for a project ruck and small forward in the draft.

Can see this one dragging out. It'll get done though. Reckon we'll try and get a pick better than 27 to offer with 10. Probably hoping someone will give us something decent for Watts.

In terms of losing players like Petracca Olive etc in the future as we won't be able to pay them enough. Well I don't but that. We'll lose Watts for a start. And if we become a finals side consistently we'll lose lesser likes before our guns. The club will be planning for these contracts. They're not just throwing money out without thought.

That Brett Burton interview was hilarious, he sounded like the biggest dick head of all time taking swipes at a 21 year old and then saying they will trade him wherever they like (haha)

It was like he forgot Lever was uncontracted and he still had some power.

I agree it's a shit position and I'd be dirty on one of our 21 year old blokes as well but until they allow trading without consent this is the system

My favorite line was 'it's irrelevant where he wants to go' like he's some big footy poster making deals

Last edited:
Also people need to stop worrying about the money on offer.

Tell me who is making big money at Melbourne right now??
Watts Jones Viney McDonald Hogan have zero AAs between them and frankly don't deserve more than 600 each. Lever could be front loaded 50% of his contract and we would still be fine. If Oliver and Petracca and co start demanding massive contracts then sweet that means we are finally a bloody good club. People thought the Melksham deal would cripple us.. hasn't hurt us going after Lever

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2017 Trade and Free Agency Discussion - #Leverpulled and #Harleyrevved

Remove this Banner Ad

Back