List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & FA Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all likelihood, Robbo wants to stay, and if he has had offers then he will sit down and try and do what's best for both parties.

That said, if he has a ridiculous offer then the club will have to decide if he's worth keeping.

Just as you don't sell the farm to recruit a player, you don't sell it to retain a player unless he is of the calibre of Roo in his prime.

He is in our leadership group, he has had a break out year and his contract should show a increase in money . If he leaves it will be very sad and he must remember the grass is not always greener over the fence.
It would be the end of the world - Webster, Mackenzie , Geary , Carlisle , Brown , Newnes - sometimes , Gilbert , Rice will still be a strong backline - but is better with him in it.

In all likelihood, Robbo wants to stay, and if he has had offers then he will sit down and try and do what's best for both parties.

That said, if he has a ridiculous offer then the club will have to decide if he's worth keeping.

Just as you don't sell the farm to recruit a player, you don't sell it to retain a player unless he is of the calibre of Roo in his prime.
Agreed mate. Just don't want to lose him. Only came to us due to family location (not a knock ). He was free but he's a gun. Do Not Lose. He is an AA to us....!

clubs that need a ruckmen:

Adelaide: Jacobs is 29, Jenkins 29, rest of the options have less than 5 games combined. You'd think they are into Grundy big time, hence why they look like losing McGovern/Lever

Carlton: if they lose Kruezer they may be in the market for a cheap option. But they do have Phillips with ~30 games experience. Gorringe/McKay/plus a yank as green options. So not in the Adelaide basket of desperate but still light on if Kruezer walks

Essendon: Bellchambers and Leuenberg are both 28 and 29 respectively. Then its Draper, an 18 year old rookie. Their decision here is probably based on where they see their list is at (finals or rebuilding) and how much longer they can get by with the two veterans

Collingwood: its pretty much Grundy and Cox. If Grundy decides to leave which could be likely given the Adelaide interest and the state of the contract negotiations then I think Collingwood has Eddie read out the codes to enter DEFCON: GET ME A ****IN TALL campaigner

if i'm reading the tea leaves then i think Grundy is going back to Adelaide to the crows and the pies have been into Hickey all year. remember they tried to get him when we traded with GC for his services

Grundy re-signed did he not?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we'll play a bit of hardball with Dylan. Should he get more than Jack Billings for instance? Should he get what Seb Ross is on? Both of those players are potential multiple AA players, for all that Dylan has played well this year I feel he's just short of that highest level and won't actually make it to AA.

Also we have plenty of coverage for his best skill which is that of rebounding defender - Webster, Savage (both still to be signed up), White, Rice, MacKenzie (all signed up to end of 2019). Also Sam Gilbert and Jack Newnes.

Hope Roberton gets named in the AA squad - might put his price up.
He's good but no huge loss for me.
What? How is Robbo not a huge loss? He is the driver off our half back, also shuts down his opponent also takes a tonne of intercept marks, he'd be close to the most important player in our team. I bet you reckon McCartin is untouchable though right? :D

You won't get Pittard or Rockliff leaving interstate without a large contract. So it will likely be an upgrade on the Roberton price.

While he is also in the leadership group and arguable better players than those two.

There's talk of 600-700 price range for Roberton. That's what you'd be paying for either of these players - Pittard on form, and Rockliff because it'll be enough to trigger the compensation Brisbane want (pick 2)

Both Pittard and Rockliff are from Victoria so "leaving interstate" is coming home.

Or D show our players that club will look after their own and have learnt from the past

Learnt what from the past? The only 'lesson' we've had is the one I alluded to - DON'T pay a player with a sketchy form and injury history big money after one great year. This could very well be Armo 2.0 but worse - with Armo, at least you have a solid on baller which is hard to come by, whereas a solid HBF is a dime a dozen.

And before anyone thinks I'm pushing an agenda, I've been a fan of Roberton which should show in my previous posts if anyone cared to look.

What I'm not a fan of is overpaying a player. People are talking about paying him the kind of wage that we wouldn't even pay Goddard, who not only played the same position better, but also played amazingly well in the midfield and even up forward. Roberton has had one season where he has played well off half back and that's it.

Based on position, his duration of form, and the plethora of backup options, 500K per year would be an absolute maximum - less if he was realistic about helping to fund a premiership side. If a team wants to pay 600-700+ then they'll reflect that in trade value which could prove to be extremely handy, and perhaps facilitate the acquisition of both the likes of Lever and Kelly.

Learnt what from the past? The only 'lesson' we've had is the one I alluded to - DON'T pay a player with a sketchy form and injury history big money after one great year. This could very well be Armo 2.0 but worse - with Armo, at least you have a solid on baller which is hard to come by, whereas a solid HBF is a dime a dozen.
if Robbo was a dime a dozen Hawthorn wouldn't be offering $700k

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm gonna use common sense for minute (which I rarely use tbh) re Robbo.

He lives close to family - tick
He's getting games & is clearly best 22 - tick
Hes playing for a team on the cusp of finals & continually improving - tick
Money / contract - cross

I'd say Robbo will re-sign, absolutely ZERO chance the club lets him walk. Ameet will pay up a decent amount & Robbo will be reasonable about it.

I think people are getting a little over confident with Kelly by he way. No way he goes to North, but very likely he'd want Carlton. They've got the cap space and the currency, especially after Gibbs leaves.

If he does leave the Giants, which is looking more likely by the day, then I think it's a 50/50 between us and the Blues.

I don't know about the rest of you but MG mentioned 1 x leaving(clubs choice) + 1 x their choice due to their lack of opportunity (potentially). I'd assume that robbo has agreed to terms elsewhere + take your pick of Paddy (yeah i know hes contracted) slash acres/sav/ a ruckman.

Yeah, nah...

Actually nah, nah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if Robbo was a dime a dozen Hawthorn wouldn't be offering $700k

Because they have cap space to burn, and need to overpay players to get them to board a sinking ship.

Armo is on big money, Boyd is on bigger money, Scully is on bigger money, Tippett is on bigger money, etc etc. Clubs overpay for players all the time.

And I'll have to point out that I didn't say that Roberton was a dime a dozen. I said a solid HBF is; Roberton is somewhat better than that IF he plays this way beyond this year (which is still yet to be seen) but his replacement, if he were to leave, is not that much worse. Unlike the example I gave, which is a contested ball winning midfielder which is difficult to find, especially for us.

What? How is Robbo not a huge loss? He is the driver off our half back, also shuts down his opponent also takes a tonne of intercept marks, he'd be close to the most important player in our team. I bet you reckon McCartin is untouchable though right? :D

Yes, Paddy is much more important than Robbo. As are good mids and good KPD'ers. Half backs aren't so valuable given the ease of playing there and the sheer number of them on our list. He's good but nowhere near the most important player in the team. I'd have the following ahead of him as more important going forward:

Steven
Ross
Gresham
Carlisle
Acres
Steele
Billings
Newnes
Bruce
Membrey
Paddy
Sinclair

Wouldn't mind if Carlton get him tbh, they'd give up 2 top 5 draft picks to get him which would **** their rebuild no doubt.

They have a gun coach and an extremely defensive game plan to shield their uneven list. They need more talent and a spread of it rather than one bloke.
Not sure how Kelly would **** their rebuild. He'd be a great get for them. They have a very good core group but still have a bit to go. If they were to get Kelly there midfield and backline is set and then all they'd need is a good key forwards.

I think people are getting a little over confident with Kelly by he way. No way he goes to North, but very likely he'd want Carlton. They've got the cap space and the currency, especially after Gibbs leaves.

If he does leave the Giants, which is looking more likely by the day, then I think it's a 50/50 between us and the Blues.
I believe it's more like 90/10 in our favour never been more confident that we have him.

I reckon your top 5 players are the ones that you lock in no matter what. We can front load him and we have a heap of space we keep hearing. Unless the Hawks have offered him the kind of money that Ablett is on (which is totally not what they usually do) then we should do our best to accomodate his pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back