Which was the better win?

Votes: 32 62.7%

Votes: 19 37.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 I cried for two days.
2019 I laughed for two days.

This for me too.

In 2017, I was still carrying the scars of the Norf EF loss and 2016.

My partner, a Kiwi who is new to the game, started getting really invested and bought a Maurice Rioli membership early in the season. I couldn't do it. It was only around Round 19 or 20 that I knew I had to upgrade to MR too. Would never forgive myself, if I missed out.

So we were there. And when Towner buried Crouch in the 2nd qtr, I put my head in my hands and started to weep. My beautiful partner put her hand on my shoulder. I turned to her and said "Oh god, we're going to win. I'm not prepared for this. At all!" And I cried and cried and cried for 2 and half more quarters.

2018 - like most of us, I got a bit cocky and started to just assume we'd win. Doesn't work that way. Sit down, bitch. Be humble.

2019, as the injuries mounted and the pessimism grew, I kept the line that it's sport and noone can predict what will happen. Who knows? It was kinda fun to have no expectations. And I really loved watching the young 'un's come into the team and contribute.

We were lucky enough to hit our straps late in the season but every final is a 50-50 game. Things went our way and we came up against a limping opposition. And at about the same point in the 2 qtr as 2017, I just started pointing and laughing at the telly. It was party time and we were celebrating all things Richmond.

This for me too.

In 2017, I was still carrying the scars of the Norf EF loss and 2016.

My partner, a Kiwi who is new to the game, started getting really invested and bought a Maurice Rioli membership early in the season. I couldn't do it. It was only around Round 19 or 20 that I knew I had to upgrade to MR too. Would never forgive myself, if I missed out.

So we were there. And when Towner buried Crouch in the 2nd qtr, I put my head in my hands and started to weep. My beautiful partner put her hand on my shoulder. I turned to her and said "Oh god, we're going to win. I'm not prepared for this. At all!" And I cried and cried and cried for 2 and half more quarters.

2018 - like most of us, I got a bit cocky and started to just assume we'd win. Doesn't work that way. Sit down, bitch. Be humble.

2019, as the injuries mounted and the pessimism grew, I kept the line that it's sport and noone can predict what will happen. Who knows? It was kinda fun to have no expectations. And I really loved watching the young 'un's come into the team and contribute.

We were lucky enough to hit our straps late in the season but every final is a 50-50 game. Things went our way and we came up against a limping opposition. And at about the same point in the 2 qtr as 2017, I just started pointing and laughing at the telly. It was party time and we were celebrating all things Richmond.
Another fantastic story RB and thanks for sharing it with us. Both GF had the same end point , but their paths were different and I can see why people love one over another. I just couldn’t cry in this one bc to me I thought we were building something the last School holidays, so the emotional build up just wasn’t there unlike 2017. To me it was a celebration a bit like 1980 as we were clearly the best side once the senior players arrived.

2017 was a better WIN for me because:
- broke the 37 year drought
- coming off a very poor 2016 - were expected to flop
- underdogs against a strong Crows outfit, nobody tipped us

2019 was a better SEASON for me because:
- huge amount of injuries/suspensions to our best players
- unearthed a ridiculous amount of talent in younger players
- gives further credit to our 2017 credentials

Completely different feelings for me, as others have said.

2017 was completely wtf is going on here?!?!

This year has been completely different in the sense that we entered the year with Flag aspirations that looked like they would be dashed with our early horror injury run and subsequent run of losses pre-bye. Never in a million years did i expect to go undefeated from there, and the manour in which we did it was the most amazing thing for me.

We are truly a powerhouse now, and **** me it feels good.

from a pure supporters perspective, 2017 is by far the best. you can't replicate 37 years of being in the football wilderness and the emotional release that comes with breaking a drought like that (lets hope we never have to experience that again).

However when all is said and done, 2019 might just rank as the greatest flag to date in our history. Before Saturday I would have had the 1969 flag down as the best (had to win our last 4 games to scrape into the final 4 on % & included wins over Carlton at Princes Park & Hawthorn who were vying for 4th spot with us at Glenferrie, after being down at 3/4 time in both - lose one of these and we're out) but given the adversity we faced this season with injury and the fantastic stories & development of new players that seamlessly slotted in to roles in the team and winning 12 games in a row I reckon 2019 has maybe got it beat

2017 was just such a shocking win. It was pure joy and exhilaration.

2019 was a much tougher journey, but it became inevitable as the Tiger Train gathered speed.

2017 was more enjoyable. But 2019 feels like we are in the middle of a total dominance - so that is more satisfying. if that makes sense.

2017 - emotional release
2019 - getting the business done.
I’m going 2019 as it legitimises in my mind the 2017 flag (if that makes sense).

2017 was a better grand final - breaking a massive drought as a real underdog

2019 was a bloodbath, and needs to be taken in context with our season of injury and resileance to be fully appreciated

Was nice sitting though the second half knowing and enjoying the result, but the release at the end of the game had nothing on 2017

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2017 was a better grand final - breaking a massive drought as a real underdog

2019 was a bloodbath, and needs to be taken in context with our season of injury and resileance to be fully appreciated

Was nice sitting though the second half knowing and enjoying the result, but the release at the end of the game had nothing on 2017
2019 GF winning by 89 points though probably shows we were the far superior hungry team.

I'm sick of the media saying GWS were cooked that's not what GPS was saying they run more at high speed and endurance.. there sprint efforts and data was a lot better then the Crows in 2017.
So we were just harder at the ball better skills, turned it over way less.

I was born in 1989 and the family is half Collingwood half Richmond.

I don't think there will be a better moment as a fan of this great club than what I felt in 2017. It was the definition of pure exhilaration and shock. I'd never seen us win a flag. 2017 takes it for me.

This year is right up there too, but for different reasons. It eliminates the salty neautrals calling "fluke, Bradbury", and cements us as a successful team over the last 3 years.

All that finals pain from 2013, 14, 15 is a far distant memory, but something we ultimately needed to experience with our players to push on and succeed.

What a time to be a Tiger.

Oh we're from Ti-ger-land....

I enjoyed one of the league's oldest and most historically significant clubs smashing the forced, corporate, manufactured expansion club that no one supports.

I'm not against expansion, but these campaigners need to wait their time before they get gifted a flag. And god we smashed them.
Couldn't agree more

Also enjoyed beating GWS

Depends. Are we voting which was a better win or which was more special?

Am I the only person that reckons our 2019 team would have smashed our 2017 team? Apart from Rance which may make it close reckon 2019 would have demolished them
Reckon it would be a close call without Rance and a fit and firing Cotch from 2017!

You can vote however you wish
2017 was a million more times special as it was my first.
2019 may have been playing a weaker side (though I'm not completely sold on that) but I think it was a better win. Played like we owned the joint.

Think this season was really remarkable considering what we went through but in the end had a real inevitable feel about it culminating in a walkover in the GF. So whilst I feel it was the bigger achievement it’s probably the one I’ll recall the least of the two and will rarely ever watch as it was all over and pretty mundane after half time. It’s actually made me feel pretty blasé about it and not really excited just content which I don’t like at all!

Has to be 2017.

Weren't we underdogs every single game of the finals? Plus the obvious breaking of the drought.

I was born just after the 1982 loss. So it was the first RFC GF appearance and premiership in my life. So it also holds that in my heart.

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 vs 2019

Back