2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know if anyone else listens to Twomey's podcast much, and it might be my tin foil hat slipping, but the way Twomey talks about Bailey Smith when discussing Gold Coast, he really gives the impression that Smith is not keen to leave Victoria.

Don't know if anyone else listens to Twomey's podcast much, and it might be my tin foil hat slipping, but the way Twomey talks about Bailey Smith when discussing Gold Coast, he really gives the impression that Smith is not keen to leave Victoria.
Perhaps he should just sign up to a VFL club then instead of playing in the AFL.

I reckon you can discard the hat on that one.

Yep, heard similar things about Smith from a couple of club recruiters. AFL won't do anything about it as Victorian clubs are benefitting.

Yep, heard similar things about Smith from a couple of club recruiters. AFL won't do anything about it as Victorian clubs are benefitting.
That's a shame. Thought he seemed like a really professional kid that would be happy to take his chance anywhere. Very poor form from Smith if this is true.

It’s a really easy thing to say that the AFL won’t do anything. My question is what would you like them to do?

You can ask to be traded but not where you want to go. The club can then trade you for best value. When you qualify for free agency, you can obviously go where you want.
If you are that unhappy about the club and the trade options; you can sit out for a year and then re-nominate for the draft. This is to prevent someone purposely getting delisted and becoming a delisted free agent.

It’s a really easy thing to say that the AFL won’t do anything. My question is what would you like them to do?

Push for 3 or 4 year contracts for draftees in the next CBA negotiation, so that you have better ability to settle in and retain players and don't have to pay them silly amounts for their 3rd and 4th years (as GWS, GC and I'm sure we have had to do).

That's always been the logical tradeoff for lowering the FA eligibility requirements but the situation largely suits large Vic clubs so no real effort has been made to negotiate for it.

Yeah, sports with a draft + trade system allow the clubs/franchises to have a lot more power than is currently the case in our sport.

The AFL ****ed up massively when it allowed free agency without getting anything back from the players in return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke English someone well in the mix for our mid range picks I think. Interviewed a few times and done character checks with his school. Us and blues have shown the most interest.
Good kid that should be fine moving away from home

That's a shame. Thought he seemed like a really professional kid that would be happy to take his chance anywhere. Very poor form from Smith if this is true.

Think we should take rumours like this with a pinch of salt. Remember the stories last year about Rayner which were complete tosh

Luke English someone well in the mix for our mid range picks I think. Interviewed a few times and done character checks with his school. Us and blues have shown the most interest.
Good kid that should be fine moving away from home

Hmmm .... the last time we had someone who played in a headgear (in the early 2000's) ......we uhmmm ....

There’s an alleged super trade possibly going down according to a post on the draft and trade board:

did anyone hear of the possible super trade on 3AW that will happen Monday. All trades look fair and risky at same time. Wonder who will come out on top with these deals.

Carlton IN’ Picks 4, 18, 31, 56, 67, 78
Carlton 2019 IN’ St Kilda First Round
Carlton OUT’ Picks 1, 71 & 2019 First Round, 2019 Crows Third Round

St Kilda IN’ Pick 1, 14, 35
St Kilda 2019 IN’ Suns Second Round
St Kilda OUT’ Pick 4, 67 & 2019 First Round

Brisbane IN’ Picks 43, 71
Brisbane 2019 IN’ Fremantle First Round
Brisbane OUT’ Picks 18, 35, 56, 78, Suns 2r 2019

Fremantle 2019 IN’ Carlton First Round and Crows Third Round
Fremantle OUT’ Picks 14, 31, 43, 2019 First Rd

Who is the winner?

It’s just a weird trade all around but it’s a talking point. If it did go down then I’d suspect that Noble is confident that McFadyen will last past 30. Other than that the other takeaways would be that he would rather trade into the top ten this year than have a late first and second round pick this year which seems fair enough.

If things go our way we could still be looking at a top five and top fifteen pick. That’s pretty good all things considered.

There’s an alleged super trade possibly going down according to a post on the draft and trade board:

It’s just a weird trade all around but it’s a talking point. If it did go down then I’d suspect that Noble is confident that McFadyen will last past 30. Other than that the other takeaways would be that he would rather trade into the top ten this year than have a late first and second round pick this year which seems fair enough.

If things go our way we could still be looking at a top five and top fifteen pick. That’s pretty good all things considered.

So basically, using this years results for 2019 future picks (I have my predicted pick in brackets next to each one based on where I think they will place), we have:

CARLTON IN 2018: 4, 18, 31, 56, 67, 78
CARLTON IN 2019: 3 (4)
CARLTON OUT 2018: 1, 71
CARLTON OUT 2019: 1 (2), 43 (51)

ST KILDA IN 2018: 1, 14, 35
ST KILDA IN 2019: 20 (19)
ST KILDA OUT 2018: 4, 67
ST KILDA OUT 2019: 3 (4)

BRISBANE IN 2018: 43, 71
BRISBANE IN 2019: 5 (3)
BRISBANE OUT 2018: 18, 35, 56, 78
BRISBANE OUT 2019: 20 (19)

FREMANTLE IN 2018: N/A
FREMANTLE IN 2019: 1 (2), 43 (51)
FREMANTLE OUT 2018: 14, 31, 43
FREMANTLE OUT 2019: 5 (3)

I do however think Fremantle has the biggest potential volatility out of all the teams trading their own future picks. If Hogan and Lobb click as a strong forward spine for them, and they can cope without Neale, then I can see them doing well. I don't think that will happen in reality, and see them being 3rd last, but we will see.

I struggle to see Gold Coast anywhere other than last unfortunately next year. Same with St Kilda. Carlton has a bit of potential to move up with their acquisitions in my opinion, but they were starting from such a low base that I think it is unrealistic to expect them to perform much better than second last.

To me this all means that we take on the most risk. I can see Fremantle ranging anywhere from bottom 2 all the way to top 10. One should always get rewarded more for taking on higher risk, but that really doesn't seem to be the case to me... It indicates to me, as you said, that they think McFadyen will receive a later bid than expected, as well as that they think there will be some significant bargains that will fall in this draft. Definitely gives us a very weak hand in this draft, but gives us a strong command of next years draft.

If I was St Kilda I would take that and run. 4 gets upgraded to 1, 67 gets upgraded to 35, while next years first gets split into 14 and what is nearly guaranteed to be 19 next year. That seems like an enormous win to me.

I would walk out pretty disappointed with that as a Carlton supporter. I think they could get a way better deal on their first pick from Gold Coast or Adelaide or Port in a straight trade. I guess it depends how much impact they think their acquisitions can make. I struggle to see them passing on Sam Walsh though unless it's for a really strong deal.

Fremantle supporters would also be pretty disappointed with that I think. Unless they have high priority on one of the top draft picks next year, I really struggle to see how it's worth it at all for them. Maybe they are predicting a massive run up the ladder with the Hogan and Lobb acquisitions?

Basically, I think St Kilda>>>>>Brisbane>>Carlton=Fremantle. The more I look at it though, it makes the next years first round to Gold Coast trade look even worse. I get it was to put more pressure onto Fremantle, but it looks like we are basically now turning back around and giving way more up than we got for basically the same pick.

Josh Williams - kicked a goal for North Melbourne with his very first mark and kick in AFL has been delisted after just 2 years on their list. He is a tall, pacy Queenslander with a great mark and ice-cool kick for goal... might be worth a look at for a rookie spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back