2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the thing I think that a lot of people tend to forget. You just simply can't look at picks in isolation. I know quite a few posters have mentioned about the De Goey at 5 thing for Beams but it just isn't that simple. De Goey quite likely would have gone home after two years at that time as well. It isn't just about drafting talent for non-Melbourne clubs. It is about drafting talent who will not go home and there is no exact science to what is already a lottery with the draft anyway.

Long point short, you simply cannot pass up an A-grader in Neale who actually wants to come to the club for a draftee who A. might end up a future superstar, B. Might go home after 2 or more years and C. may end up a bust. The choice of going for Neale in the circumstances that Qld clubs face is an absolute no-brainer.
Correct it's astounding how many people use the de goey example but never mention schache at 2 was a bust wonder why that is.

Correct it's astounding how many people use the de goey example but never mention schache at 2 was a bust wonder why that is.
Schache didn't work out for us, but he's not a "bust" yet.

Drafting is not an exact science, and some times people making the picks don't always listen to the recruiters here. A couple of times I have read on here that our recruiters favoured a different kid ahead of Schache (can't remember if it was Clayton Oliver or not), but were over ruled at the draft by some one higher up.

You can look at every pick and find success and failure stories. However there is a significant trend that higher draft picks having far more success stories than picks lower in the draft.

I'm not sure about others here, but my stance has always been that the addition of Neale, coupled with the loss of Beams, is basically a wash, and Neale by himself won't push up the ladder any faster than what a draftee who takes 3 years to develop might have.

I am constantly reminded on here that this is a team game, and 1 highly rated draftee by himself won't make a significant impact on our win loss record, yet that is exactly what people are arguing will happen and why we had to trade for Neale rather than taking pick 5 to the draft.

And just to be clear, I'm not arguing that we shouldn't have traded for Neale. What I have said all along was that giving up two probable top 5 picks for Neale was too high a price and may come back to bite us in the ass in 5 years time. I guess the clearest analogy I can make is, instead of possibly drafting two Clayton Oliver types/calibre kids, we're left with the possibility of Neale and a Sam Powell-Pepper type.

I think the clearest analogy is that the people at the club have the clearest picture of the draft and how possible draftees would fit into our long term plan

While I get that in overall terms I think it's fair to call him a bust in the context of our board because he definitely was for us. Even if he becomes the best FF in the last 20 years from here it does nothing to help us.

Drafting is not an exact science, and some times people making the picks don't always listen to the recruiters here. A couple of times I have read on here that our recruiters favoured a different kid ahead of Schache (can't remember if it was Clayton Oliver or not), but were over ruled at the draft by some one higher up.

You can look at every pick and find success and failure stories. However there is a significant trend that higher draft picks having far more success stories than picks lower in the draft.

I'm not sure about others here, but my stance has always been that the addition of Neale, coupled with the loss of Beams, is basically a wash, and Neale by himself won't push up the ladder any faster than what a draftee who takes 3 years to develop might have.

I am constantly reminded on here that this is a team game, and 1 highly rated draftee by himself won't make a significant impact on our win loss record, yet that is exactly what people are arguing will happen and why we had to trade for Neale rather than taking pick 5 to the draft.

And just to be clear, I'm not arguing that we shouldn't have traded for Neale. What I have said all along was that giving up two probable top 5 picks for Neale was too high a price and may come back to bite us in the ass in 5 years time. I guess the clearest analogy I can make is, instead of possibly drafting two Clayton Oliver types/calibre kids, we're left with the possibility of Neale and a Sam Powell-Pepper type.
Schache was a bust for us, regardless of what he achieves at the Dogs or elsewhere.

While I get that in overall terms I think it's fair to call him a bust in the context of our board because he definitely was for us. Even if he becomes the best FF in the last 20 years from here it does nothing to help us.
Beat me to it.

I guess the clearest analogy I can make is, instead of possibly drafting two Clayton Oliver types/calibre kids, we're left with the possibility of Neale and a Sam Powell-Pepper type.
Of course the chances of success are higher with early picks but it's because it is not an exact science that hypothesising these sorts of scenarios is pointless. We could get a Powell-Pepper or we could get a Tom Rockliff (pre-season draft) or Justin Clarke or Jack Crisp (rookie selections) or a Jonathan Brown, Elliot Yeo or Dan Merrett (all pick 30), or Simon Black (pick 31), or Joel Patful, Harris Andrews or any number of other successful late picks.

Of course the chances of success are higher with early picks but it's because it is not an exact science that hypothesising these sorts of scenarios is pointless. We could get a Powell-Pepper or we could get a Tom Rockliff (pre-season draft) or Justin Clarke or Jack Crisp (rookie selections) or a Jonathan Brown, Elliot Yeo or Dan Merrett (all pick 30), or Simon Black (pick 31), or Joel Patful, Harris Andrews or any number of other successful late picks.

I mentioned this earlier but..some of best young kids were drafted around pick 18 - Berry Witherden Starcevich Bailey McStay and Cox

Had we have kept pick 5, I still think Bailey Smith would have been an ideal choice. Will watch him with interest as I think he will be an top line A grader.

Don't care who we pick TBH so long as Berry Jr gets to us, would even be happy with using our 1st pick on him, think he will be a gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jessie Lonergan, Mitch Honeychurch, Jacob Townsend, would they be worth looking at during the dfa period in a cpl of days.

I guess with a planned mid season draft this year, its players like this, the delisted, the undrafted and state comp players that will be available. How will it work, can a club only use the midseason draft if they have an early retirement or long term injury. What order will it be in, is it the midseason ladder position or previous yrs draft order.

Jessie Lonergan, Mitch Honeychurch, Jacob Townsend, would they be worth looking at during the dfa period in a cpl of days.

I guess with a planned mid season draft this year, its players like this, the delisted, the undrafted and state comp players that will be available. How will it work, can a club only use the midseason draft if they have an early retirement or long term injury. What order will it be in, is it the midseason ladder position or previous yrs draft order.

I saw in an Age article in the last week or two that we were interested in a delisted free agent. Unfortunately I can’t find it now.

I saw in an Age article in the last week or two that we were interested in a delisted free agent. Unfortunately I can’t find it now.

Lower-placed teams Carlton, Brisbane Lions and St Kilda have already ruled out recruiting Menzel as a delisted free agent. He can be picked up next week by any club free of draft cost.

The Saints had shown some interest in Menzel prior to the trade period but had clearly cooled on the idea.

In Alex Fasolo, Carlton has already acquired a player with somewhat similar attributes to Menzel, a mid-sized forward who is strong overhead with goal sense but questionable pressure skills.

The Lions are considering other delisted players and are mindful they have mature players coming in Lachie Neale, Marcus Adams and another forward, Lincoln McCarthy.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/cats-not-offering-a-contract-to-menzel-20181024-p50bq8.html

Townsend likely ends up at sydney, pretty sure I read he has toured and possibly done a medical

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its laughable that you think schache isn't a bust,and I'll say again neale vs beams is a massive win for us on and off the field recruiting kid after kid year in year out simply doesn't work FACT.

I seem to recall when Voss was coach he was excited about drafting Zeibell ....forgive the spelling..... but was over ruled in favour of D.Rich.

Its laughable that you think schache isn't a bust,and I'll say again neale vs beams is a massive win for us on and off the field recruiting kid after kid year in year out simply doesn't work FACT.

Schache was a bust for us as a team but not yet in general terms as a high draft pick living or not living up to potential. Neale may be an important cog in a flag winning team or he may want to return to Fremantle in two years. Pick 5 may have been that important cog or returned home in two years. Neither road is a sure thing

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back