2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys,

We're doing a mock draft on the Tigers board and I chose the Lions. Just needing to know what are your list needs? How many picks will you be taking? From the outside in it looks like you need another highly skilled HBF and a Ruck/Forward?

Cheers guys and all the best for 2019!

Hey guys,

We're doing a mock draft on the Tigers board and I chose the Lions. Just needing to know what are your list needs? How many picks will you be taking? From the outside in it looks like you need another highly skilled HBF and a Ruck/Forward?

The club has said we'll use 4 picks with a focus on midfield depth and half backs with good leg speed

Hey guys,

Are you matching academy bids?

We have an academy prospect, Connor McFadyen who's a third tall/big bodied mid, who likely goes in the 30 - 40 range.

A lot of the board have a thing for Tom Berry at one of our picks in the 30's.

We have another academy kid who's likely a late pick to rookie prospect, in Kieden Coleman.

We don't need a ruck/forward, or any KPP's for that matter.

Good luck.

Are you matching academy bids?

We have an academy prospect, Connor McFadyen who's a third tall/big bodied mid, who likely goes in the 30 - 40 range.

A lot of the board have a thing for Tom Berry at one of our picks in the 30's.

We have another academy kid who's likely a late pick to rookie prospect, in Kieden Coleman.

We don't need a ruck/forward, or any KPP's for that matter.

Good luck.

Good to know, yeah I will match bids but depends when they come and what is on the board! Thanks guys

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the outside, with no connections to the club what so ever, and relying on media articles and some BF discussion about our academy kids, there looks to be some names missing that I would have hopped to make the squad. Tom Jeffrey and Tom Wischnat are the two surprise ommoisions for me.

Fun Fact: Kobe Tozer is another Lions academy member born in Geelong.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/275616acd755635295f17b5ca3dd42dd

ALLIES
COACH: Luke Power

Jackson Barling (Sydney Swans/Willoughby Mosman)

Connor Budarick (Gold Coast Suns/Labrador)

Charlie Byrne (Murray Bushrangers/Albury)

Jackson Callow (Tasmania/North Launceston)

Braedon Campbell (Sydney Swans/Westbrook)

Will Chandler (Murray Bushrangers/Corowa-Rutherglen)

Sam Collins (Tasmania/North Hobart)

Ashton Crossley (Gold Coast Suns/Burleigh/Palm Beach Currumbin)

Saxon Crozier (Brisbane Lions/Wests)(U17)

Jared Dakin (Tasmania/Launceston)

Alex Davies (Gold Coast Suns/Cairns Hawks)

Oliver Davis (Tasmania/Clarence)

Liam Delahunty (GWS Giants/Coolamon)

Hamish Ellem (Sydney Swans/Manly Warringah)

Tom Griffiths (Brisbane Lions/Maroochydore)(U18)

Tom Green (GWS Giants/Marist)

Errol Gulden (Sydney Swans/Maroubra)

Joel Jeffrey (Northern Territory/Wanderers)

Jack Johnston (Gold Coast Suns/Palm Beach Currumbin)

Ben Jungfer (Northern Territory/Warpaths/Woodville-West Torrens)

Will Martyn (Brisbane Lions/Aspley)(U18)

Matt McGrory (GWS Giants/Gungahlin)

Mitch O’Neill (Tasmania/North Hobart)

Luke Parks (Sydney Swans/North Shore)

Hewago Paul-Oea (Gold Coast Suns/PNG/Broadbeach)

Will Peppin (Tasmania/North Hobart)

Josh Rayner (Sydney Swans/North Shore)

Malcolm Rosas Jnr (Northern Territory/Darwin)

Bruce Reville (Brisbane Lions/Western Magpies/Maryborough)(U18)

Kobe Tozer (Brisbane Lions/Aspley/Bribie Island)(U18/U19?)

their is an interesting draft podcast up on the main The Draft Thread page featuring Pie for Life and D_P_S from Afl Draft central, a very interesting listen, a bit long at 75min, BUT some really interesting points.
They did a 1st rd mock draft and had us taking X O'Halloran and Jez McClennan respectively.
They both had Chayce Jones going top 15 and both rating him really highly.

With Beams gone and very little depth in the reserves we need to consolidate with mature age talent in the genuine on ball brigade who get in and under. We have Lachie Neale, Jarrod Berry, Zorks and Corey Lyons and thats about it.
Id love to see us use 35 in the draft on Michael Gibbons. He has shown he is capable against afl listed players week in week out for four years. Hes only 23 and would move anywhere and take on any challenge to realise his dream at the top level. http://williamstownfc.com.au/10-latest-news/1246-draft-me-michael-gibbons

While I agree our ball winning division could use some more help, I think that we shouldn’t overlook Rayner, Bailey and Starcevich’s future impact in that area. They might not all project as full time mids but they all look capable of winning their own footy and will be part of the onball rotations. We also have Mathieson who isn’t yet a write off and Keays is still on the list. Finally, I think McCluggage will move closer to the inside as he develops.

So yeah, while I’m happy to add a ball winner, I don’t think we’re in terrible shape. I actually think our wide running players (back flankers and wingers) is as big an area of need, based on team balance and the quality of those currently on the list.

I’d be happy if we secured a ball winning mid, a quality half back and a clever small/medium forward out of this draft.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-26/giants-delist-two-excat-among-five-resigned

Thought Tiziani looked good before doing his knee. Could be worth putting him on the rookie list for small forward depth.
Former Bushie. Has some ability, but more a medium forward than your high intensity small. Big issue will be whether he has lost anything after the ACL. I've always liked Lachie as a player, having followed him through three years of the TAC Cup, but if I'm honest probably not a need at this stage.

I'd be happy drafting the best available mids with our first 2 picks, and then McFadyen and Berry, and getting Coleman in the rookie draft. Not sure if Berry would last until then though.

I don't want us using our top picks on small defenders as you can find them as rookies. Hopefully the last rookie spot (are we taking 2 rookies?) is used on another defender with an elite kick and pace.

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back