No Oppo Supporters 2019 Trade and FA period - Incoming Targets news discussion - read the rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After everything you said about Finn, do you think Hawks have no depth on their list for B+ midfielders?

I think it is hard to pick a B+ mid knowing that's what they are, especially with a pick under 20. Normally they come from the rookie list, or a late pick. And Hawthorn normally like to pick players that have something unique about them, a step, or pace, or strength, or general athleticism, or a lethal foot. Despite the combine, i don't know if Finn has that. If Finn was an accumulator i would feel better about it all.

If you are hoping to snare Finn but worried that others may force us to bid early and use pick 11 you are doing this right.

Personally I'd just be more direct.

Any numbnuts recruiters of teams other than Hawthorn reading big footy Finn is no good, don't touch him with a ten foot pole.

The media are doing a good job talking him up. "Hawk Father Son rising up the draft".

Then on draft day their story will be Finn McGuiness the "slider".

If that’s what we bring in then it’s another year not playing finals and that’s not in the clubs strategic plan.

People said that after Jarman Impey was our biggest fish of the 2017 trade period, and we finished 4th. Sometimes filling needs can have a greater impact than just recruiting stars.

I think it is hard to pick a B+ mid knowing that's what they are, especially with a pick under 20. Normally they come from the rookie list, or a late pick. And Hawthorn normally like to pick players that have something unique about them, a step, or pace, or strength, or general athleticism, or a lethal foot. Despite the combine, i don't know if Finn has that. If Finn was an accumulator i would feel better about it all.

We had an accumulator(Lovell) as a first rounder , how did that pan out ?

Athleticism ? Look at his combine results ... I’d say he has that. Speed ? 2.96 over 20 ...

I think he ticks a lot of boxes. May never be a superstar ... but his development this year has been great ... hopefully we get him at what ever the price ... but we aren’t afraid to let players go if they exceed what we value them as.

It’s interesting they are pumping him up so much. Maybe to screw the Hawks over.

OR maybe just maybe he has genuinely improved so much over the year that his ceiling for improvement has risen considerably. Let’s see elite speed - tick, elite endurance- tick, tall mid who can play both outside/inside and knows how to kick a goal . Call me crazy but I think he has all the necessary attributes to become an a grade mid yet some here think he is destined to become a b grade mid at best. I’m really bullish on him and I think he will compliment our current midfield beautifully

OR maybe just maybe he has genuinely improved so much over the year that his ceiling for improvement has risen considerably. Let’s see elite speed - tick, elite endurance- tick, tall mid who can play both outside/inside and knows how to kick a goal . Call me crazy but I think he has all the necessary attributes to become an a grade mid yet some here think he is destined to become a b grade mid at best. I’m really bullish on him and I think he will compliment our current midfield beautifully
I had a journo text me yesterday talking him down. Which one is it? The media run agenda's flat out, but they need to get clicks at a minimum.

Finn is a story regardless. I just hope he's a Hawk when the rubber meets the road.

I had a journo text me yesterday talking him down. Which one is it? The media run agenda's flat out, but they need to get clicks at a minimum.

Finn is a story regardless. I just hope he's a Hawk when the rubber meets the road.

I get the whole media click bait thing but I really think that Finn is simply a player that draws polarising opinions. Call me glass half full but I’m in the camp that says that his upside is still significant.

Ross Smith thinks he’s a star, the only slight knock was his disposal by foot but his development has been so sharp in the 2nd half of the year it’s really just nitpicking. Outside of Rowell and Anderson, there’s not a better mid in the NAB.

Clayton Oliver is pushing to A grade status as a senior footballer, Finn is every bit as talented, in fact he may have a bit more upside as he has shown he can hit the scoreboard.

Clayton Oliver is not just pushing A grade, he's a bonafide elite inside mid. 2 times best and fairest and an All Australian. I can only think of Cripps and Fyfe ahead of him as pure inside mids.

I just find it hard to rate him as elite with that rabble... Finn plays a similar style of footy and has travelled a similar path of development as a junior, we should be excited by what Finn brings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just find it hard to rate him as elite with that rabble... Finn plays a similar style of footy and has travelled a similar path of development as a junior, we should be excited by what Finn brings.
Drafting is always a gamble not an exact science , Worpel was pick 45 I think and has been sensational yet Lovell was pick 23 and was a big bust as was Beau Dowler ,Mitch Thorp ,going further back Luke Brennan ,always a certain amount of speculation but surely it would have to reduce the risk of failure if the kid has all the right athletic performance attributes , right size and not only that has a real passion for the club already and is of good character. If he is bid on inside our 1st pick I’m kind of hoping deep down we match it . Couldn’t be any worse than the names I’ve mentioned surely .

Last edited:
I get the whole media click bait thing but I really think that Finn is simply a player that draws polarising opinions. Call me glass half full but I’m in the camp that says that his upside is still significant.

The rise he has made up draft boards is similar to the one that Bont made. Know one saw him going where he did so let’s just hope Finn doesn’t rise like he did which I don’t think he will but you never know.

GW tried giving him credit yesterday but it fell on deaf ears. Bloke has no profile.
When GW said that he (as in himself) hasn’t even watched Noah or others much this year... well I assume what he meant by that was that he hasn’t but MM has. That’s the guys job and our scouts too so you can’t really be lying when your actually telling the truth. Just because a certain club official says I haven’t spoken to player x or the agent it doesn’t mean another official from our club hasn’t.

Let the mind games begin 🤯

GW tried giving him credit yesterday but it fell on deaf ears. Bloke has no profile.

This is so they can send GW to a game and have him vigorously scribbling notes meanwhile MM is at another game watching the real target ;):p

As far as I can tell we aren’t going after Noah at pick 2 and only interested in Finn as a later pick. If he goes early we won’t be matching. Shame on both counts as I think it’s a mistake but we have our eyes on others, that’s my take.

Last edited:

What were Liam Shiels' outstanding attributes when he was playing TAC? He is the epitome of a B grade midfielder, and has been one who has been a great player for the club. Every team needs them.

I can't quite tell whether you're on a WUM here or not. Finn performed very well in the sprint test and in the two endurance tests, therefore he has top level pace and endurance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back