List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d say Steven 99% gone guys. Hindsight is always great but if we had our time again we trade him last year.
This is just my opinion but I think we will say to Jack that we understand that he’s gone through a tough time and we want to get him to Geelong but they also have to step up and ensure we end up happy with the outcome.
After the Hannebery backlash we can’t seem to stuff up another trade, especially for a well liked guy like Stuv.
Realistically I think if it’s a straight trade and Kelly/Hill not involved I think we end up with one of their young mids, there’s one in particular I know we are keeping a VERY close eye on.
We have also entered into negotiations with a KPP free agent. With money to burn I think he would be a solid get.
Thanks for passing along that info mate. Just ignore the couple of usual individuals that will no doubt give you a slap for contributing. Most of us on here really appreciate your input.

A free agent KPP is interesting. Certainly makes sense though considering our lack of decent tall depth and a viable 2nd on-field ruck option. Glad to see the club also isn't as blinkered as this board and its continuous obsession with the midfield. Shows we can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Assuming the player is not a genuine ruck, that leaves us 9 RFA or UFA options. Either Sam Day, Levi Casbault, Ben Reid, Harry Taylor, Adam Tomlinson, James Frawley, Scott Thompson, Justin Westhoff or Fletcher Roberts.

Tomlinson: Given previous rumours and the Gubby connection, would have to be the favourite. Very solid get for nothing.
Reid: This one interests me. Would make a nice pairing with Carlisle for a year or 2 if we can get him fit. Last week showed how far off our tall back group is.
Day: Worth the risk that he might come good. Still youngish. Insurance for Bruce and can 2nd ruck. Certainly an upgrade on Rowe.
Frawley: Would effectively replace Brown. Given the solid service Brown has given us (again for nothing) can see us going that route again. Provides leadership and would be nice to have the Frawley name back too.

Any of those four I would tick off as smart business for the cost of a list spot and a few $$ we have to burn. All 4 would make our list better. Not sure about any of the others though. Westhoff maybe. Seems perennially underrated the way Jason Blake was for us for so long. Or maybe Taylor for leadership. Looks kinda cooked though. The thought of Thompson, Casbault or Roberts is reasonably vomit inducing.

Anyway its good to see us not standing still. Personally fingers crossed it is Tomlinson. People on here will whinge that he isn't the quality of J. McGovern, P.Davis or H. Andrews, but he is clearly best 22 in a top 4 side, versatile and most importantly free …

Last edited:
Thanks for passing along that info mate

A free agent KPP is interesting. Makes sense though considering our lack of decent tall depth and a viable 2nd ruck. Glad to see the club also isn't as blinkered as this board and its continuous obsession with the midfield.

Assuming the player is some form of FA and also not a genuine ruck, that leaves us either Sam Day, Levi Casbault, Ben Reid, Harry Taylor, Adam Tomlinson, James Frawley, Scott Thompson or Fletcher Roberts.

Tomlinson: Given previous rumours and the Gubby connection, would have to be the favourite. Very solid get for nothing.
Reid: This one interests me. Would make a nice pairing with Carlisle for a year or 2 if we could get him fit. Last week showed how far off our tall backs are.
Day: Worth the risk that he might come good. Still youngish. Insurance for Bruce and can 2nd ruck. Certainly an upgrade on Rowe.
Frawley: Would effectively replace Brown. Given the solid service Brown has given us (again for nothing) can see us going that route. Provides leadership too.

Any of those four I would tick off as really smart business. Not sure about any of the others though. Maybe Taylor for leadership. Looks kinda cooked though. The thought of Thompson, Casbault or Roberts is reasonably vomit inducing.

Anyway its good to see us not standing still. Personally fingers crossed it is Tomlinson. People on here will whinge, but he is best 22 in a top 4 side, versatile and most importantly free
Whoever we get mg will have picked it first. The day a top 22 in a good sides means its the right player for lower sides is the time we should give it away. Mumford the right player for us? And I reckon nearly everyone has said we need another ruck if not 2. It still doesn’t mean you don’t prioritise your weakest area and that’s the midfield.

Steele has been lining up in the middle, and performing a run-with role.
If Crouch was in the team, he could line up in the middle less.
Gresham very good in the guts, but i'd rather have Crouch in there.
Steele hasn't shown much ability to play decent footy anywhere else though - he's a lock for an inside mid berth as far as I am concerned

I’d say Steven 99% gone guys. Hindsight is always great but if we had our time again we trade him last year.
This is just my opinion but I think we will say to Jack that we understand that he’s gone through a tough time and we want to get him to Geelong but they also have to step up and ensure we end up happy with the outcome.
After the Hannebery backlash we can’t seem to stuff up another trade, especially for a well liked guy like Stuv.
Realistically I think if it’s a straight trade and Kelly/Hill not involved I think we end up with one of their young mids, there’s one in particular I know we are keeping a VERY close eye on.
We have also entered into negotiations with a KPP free agent. With money to burn I think he would be a solid get.
Interesting...

Not a lot of quality kpp's that are FA's this year, most would probably be depth for us. Sam Day, Casboult?

We are keen on Tomlinson, but he's not really a KPP?

Stop being so petty Plugger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok. Let’s just accept it. You can choose to do that. I won’t. So many accepted paddy and robbo were coming back in a week after getting hurt in the final practice game because stav said it. I didn’t because it was totally illogical. I found that whole thing pretty ordinary. I don’t like people pretending to be in the know. You may. I will continue to question things that are illogical or in this case tells us zero. Naught. Nadda. Donuts.

Good to have you back mate don’t be a stranger

So many accepted paddy and robbo were coming back in a week after getting hurt in the final practice game because stav said it.

Paddy's hit didn't look bad at all, and Robbo wouldn't have been ruled out instantly either.
You're using hindsight to attack people who gave information as they knew it at the time. Just because it changed (or was not well known) doesn't mean they weren't passing on information heard from a decent source.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paddy's hit didn't look bad at all, and Robbo wouldn't have been ruled out instantly either.
You're using hindsight to attack people who gave information as they knew it at the time. Just because it changed (or was not well known) doesn't mean they weren't passing on information heard from a decent source.
No I am not. I think I may have even got a warning for telling him it was illogical. Certainly copped heaps off posters. It certainly wasn’t hindsight posting. I was certain they were out for a while after a day or two just from the information coming from the saints. Go back and look if you like. I don’t care about the source in that case because it was illogical.

Hope we don't lose Steven and Carlisle , because when fit they are in our best 5 players - I think we do a better job of retaining players than most clubs.
Also with a coach like Ratten and the atmosphere he brings to the club I'm sure we have a good chance of keeping both.
We need both fit and firing - watching Carlisle , he is no where near his best form and will only get better as the year goes on.

Brown is a difficult one , he by far our best Fullback atm , but we really need more offensive play from the back line - and if Clavarino , Joyce , Austin , Marsh are fit next year one of them need to make the step up - Austin has a year left on his contract and hopefully he can show he can play the position.
Marsh would be my selection at the moment to replace Brown atm.

The Dunstan conundrum to keep him or not
we have to realize he is our best option atm , but having Hunter Clark , Bytel , Steven , Hannebery all with injuries or improving if they get there act together it will be 4 players fighting for the position , then add on another mid we get during trade period and Dunstan will be excess.

Steele , Ross , Steven , Gresham , Hunter Clark , Hannebery / I don't want to see Dunstan go but something needs to change.

Our forward line should look better with Max King filling a role with Bruce and Membery.
However we have multiply small forwards now with Lonie , Long , Parker , Kent , Young , Hind and hopefully at least 2 or 3 can prove to be consistent performers.

Absolutely you don't get better by losing your best players. On keeping mids or any player for that mater before you have a better replacement, you keep Bruce until King is pushing him out of the side or you risk being worse in the immediate future. You also buffer the kids having a senior body. Geelong develop quickly because kids come in and are off he chain running free.

We also have a very small midfield group comparable to other sides. Essendon have 9 players who play through the mids, Geelong 6 regulars and reserves like Constable, Melbourne around 7, Collingwood 9 etc

We have Steele, Ross, Hanners, Stuv, Dunstan and Gresham as regular mids. Without Stuv and Hanners this year we really have 4. People are calling for us to trade out Dunstan and Ross, lose Stuv and replace them with Crouch and Hill. To me that's 3 out 2 in and we are still no better off. We would lose most games next year.

If we had a choice of geelongs young mids who would we take and why?, or would you prefer a first round pick?.

Saints supporter before he went to Melbourne

I see his name on sponsors list and he was on the jumper we had where you paid to get your name on it. He still gives cash for us and I think he's got a membership.

No I am not. I think I may have even got a warning for telling him it was illogical. Certainly copped heaps off posters. It certainly wasn’t hindsight posting. I was certain they were out for a while after a day or two just from the information coming from the saints. Go back and look if you like. I don’t care about the source in that case because it was illogical.

"The doctor came out and spoke to the group and (said) no, Robbo's fine. The doctor's almost said themselves we're probably overplaying this and being a little bit over the top in terms of being cautious."

Why didn't you let the doctors know that Robbo wasn't okay?

Ok. Let’s just accept it. You can choose to do that. I won’t. So many accepted paddy and robbo were coming back in a week after getting hurt in the final practice game because stav said it. I didn’t because it was totally illogical. I found that whole thing pretty ordinary. I don’t like people pretending to be in the know. You may. I will continue to question things that are illogical or in this case tells us zero. Naught. Nadda. Donuts.

You shouldn’t really get so wound up about someone passing on something they’ve heard.

Things change. Who cares. Move on.

The forum is boring as bat droppings without a handful of people throwing in things they’ve heard from others closer to the club. Which includes you BTW.

I’ve been told stuff by a few mates who have really strong sources inside the club and inside HQ. Most of it didn’t come off. Did I crack the shits or accuse him of making it up?

Move on Pluggs. Life is too short.

Now should we go after Ben King instead of a mid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The doctor came out and spoke to the group and (said) no, Robbo's fine. The doctor's almost said themselves we're probably overplaying this and being a little bit over the top in terms of being cautious."

Why didn't you let the doctors know that Robbo wasn't okay?
Mate I can’t remember how it went but what was said was totally illogical. You can agree with what he said if you like but my posts were at the time. There was no hindsight at all. As I said I think I even got a warning and was attacked by posters because I dared question stav. I wish he was right and I would have gladly said I was wrong.

Absolutely you don't get better by losing your best players. On keeping mids or any player for that mater before you have a better replacement, you keep Bruce until King is pushing him out of the side or you risk being worse in the immediate future. You also buffer the kids having a senior body. Geelong develop quickly because kids come in and are off he chain running free.

We also have a very small midfield group comparable to other sides. Essendon have 9 players who play through the mids, Geelong 6 regulars and reserves like Constable, Melbourne around 7, Collingwood 9 etc

We have Steele, Ross, Hanners, Stuv, Dunstan and Gresham as regular mids. Without Stuv and Hanners this year we really have 4. People are calling for us to trade out Dunstan and Ross, lose Stuv and replace them with Crouch and Hill. To me that's 3 out 2 in and we are still no better off. We would lose most games next year.
I don't think anyone is really advocating trading all of the guys you listed, but I think there are posters who think that any of them could be traded if it improves our overall position for our next flag tilt.

Without looking at the other teams you've mentioned's lists I'd wager that a fair number of the quality inside mid replacements you're talking about are in the 1st 22 in other positions when everyone is fit - that is the issue we have had (and Dunstan has in particular, but also an issue for Ross and Steele) - a lack of flexibility

Who cannot run out of sight on a dark night.
But he will be able to give it to Darkknight Langlands so he can run out of sight with it. Over and over and over. Again. Constable in my mind is a pure footballer. He knows how to read the tips of the waves and watch the windspray to find the fish. This 190cm specimen will find the pill, and will farm it out by hand in an almost Bontempellian way. Then he will trundle off awkwardly and somehow manage to get to eaxctly the right spot for a clinch. And he will halve or win that one too.

He is exactly what we are praying Dunstan will become. His most common 'plays like' comparison is one Patrick Cripps.

Be welcome to it then. Hope Geelong doesn’t loose the 2020 grand final by less than kick after missing the opportunity to improve their 22 this year.

Anything you give us won’t be worth what Stuv has bought to our club. I see no reason St Kilda should make this easy for Geelong.

He is also a RFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back