List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Potentially- sure.
But in this hypothetical situation where say richo gets sacked, ratts comes in and unleashes the goat.... who goes on a rampage as a dominating midfielder worthy of a top 10 pick....

We'd want to KEEP him, not trade him!

Acres doing that wouldn't fix our issues though by the way- we'd still need to bring in 1 or 2 additional A grade midfielders if we're any shot of making and winning finals.

As plugger pointed out earlier- we are not 1 gun midfielder away from success, we're a lot further back than that.

It's Saturday and I'm bored shitless...

There are a few teams with good mids who need different types to improve. I think the Dogs and Dees both have too many similar mids and might want to move one on to get some wing men in. If we could somehow do a three way trade to get one, it might be win win win.

Otherwise we should just grab a guy like Richard Douglas, Ed Curnow, Brandon Ellis etc who would all add something as FAs. Coniglio as a FA is the dream though.
Agree thats really what i think we need to do. Look at a team that needs something we have excess of and has excess of what we need. A team stacked with mids that some good ones cant get a look in is ideal. Myb even Collingwood. Sier or another for Phillips. Not sure Sier will really help us tho

Carlisle is an interesting option- particularly with Wilkie looking a great find and battle looking promising.
I think we could do with losing jake if it brought in an A grade mid, because contrary to popular belief- Carlisle isn't really a backman.
He's a loose man defender- effectively a giant roberton/gibson type.

He's elite as a loose defender, but just another regular joe blow as an actual backman if made to actually play on a forward.
I've seen it mentioned on here that jake could play full back or true chb if/when brown came out of the team- no chance.
Or if he did- he'd be totally ordinary, certainly no better than say wilkie.

On paper jake should be our go to guy for playing man on man against the likes of Cox, Ben Brown, Lynch etc- but he's not close to elite as an actual defender. He's just tall.

So yeah- with Wilkie/Battle coming on, and our vast array of half backs- I'm confident we could cover losing jake to bring in a gun mid.

Problem is though, I think jake's injury history and the position he plays would limit what we would get for him.
I can't see say a north melbourne trading cunnington for jake (he's probably too old for their needs at this point).
Nor would say the giants be interested in a taranto jake trade- because their backline is sorted.
Or say the swans with heeney- they wouldn't bite.

All of those clubs would be interested in Roma though I would think- to the point where it's not impossible that they would consider giving up an elite mid.
I do rate Carlisle, but if he has a good 2nd half of the year i think a team may be willing to give something decent up for him and we have a Clav, Battle, Joyce, Austin and possinly Marshall who could play his position.
Regarding Roma, he is the best proposition weve had in the ruck for years and us also flexible to hold his own fwd or back + he is still young ao wouldnt want to lose him

I do rate Carlisle, but if he has a good 2nd half of the year i think a team may be willing to give something decent up for him and we have a Clav, Battle, Joyce, Austin and possinly Marshall who could play his position.
Regarding Roma, he is the best proposition weve had in the ruck for years and us also flexible to hold his own fwd or back + he is still young ao wouldnt want to lose him
Apart from Battle, the rest are unproven.

Carlisle is untouchable IMO.

Please stop using that crap guide gringo. As if gaff is 135 in the afl. Biggest crap ever

He didn't play anyway. I agree though they are pretty rough guides but Yeo and Shuey are their cream mids. I'd say they rate some things over others but to get in the top 50 you need to be a gun.

We should try and get Gubby Allen to the club.
He's one of the best operato.....wait .......:think:..aww, never mind.

I hope he can work some magic, he was at clubs that had goos lists to work with.

Marshall is already playing at an elite level and we're being flogged every week.

If he's not stopping us getting flogged every week getting 25 possies, heaps of clearances, goals etc.... what makes you convinced him getting 30 possies every week etc next year is going to change anything?

Our midfield are being absolutely spanked every week because we've got B and C graders lining up against A graders in the middle.

Marshall could win the brownlow next year averaging 35 possies and 3 goals a game, and we'd still finish 15th if we keep the list broadly the same as this year.

Selling off Lenny Hayes at 20 to get 2 years out of a 30 year old Mark Ricchuto might have helped us while we were shit back in the day as well. It wouldn't have been smart though. I'm not actually saying that was a trade that was doable...it may not have been the right age so it's just an illustration.

We will probably finish out of the 8 for a few more years regardless. We are most like Carlton and GC as far as list profiles go and we will lose a heap of older heads next year. Goldstein won't make us top 8 now and in 3 years he'll be retired.

I love Bruce, but he shouldn't be applauded for playing significantly injured- he should be scolded!

This is a constant problem with our team over the richo years.
It seems that internally the culture is to reward blokes with respect for 'sucking it up' and putting their hand up for selection when carrying injuries.
Ie- "wow, how courageous is that- playing through adversity"

Sure, you don't want a team full of daniel wells types that will sit out with a papercut, and it's a reality that most AFL players play injured to some extent every week....
But we let it go too far I think- guys that are substantially hobbled/restricted are allowed to get selected by passing brief fitness tests where they can 'suck it up' and move freely for a short period... but always get found out in a game.

Bruce with his corkie is just the latest in a long line of these instances over the years (weller, newnes etc etc.)

Even geary in china- he was clearly well below his best before getting injured again... All the leadup press from the club was all about how remarkable he is getting back so quick etc.

The club/richo get sucked in by players wanting to show their courage and grit over and over again.

We have no one to replace him is the issue. We brought in Rowe for back up and he injured himself too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. I love marshall- but only rose coloured glasses would have you say that as of today he is the equivalent of, or better than todd goldstein.

2. Cashing in marshall for:
An elite mid with lots of years of elite football left, while simultaneously getting in an elite AA ruckman who has missed 10 games of football in 10 years and showing zero signs of slowing down anytime soon....

That's a short term fix?

3. On the contrary- those of you calling it blasphemous to ever raise Marshall's name as a trade option are bringing too much emotion into it.

To me it looks like you are blinded by the light from 1 shining diamond in amongst a pile of cow dung...
and you can't see that you'd be much better off overall selling the diamond so you could pay someone to get rid of all that poop.
Regarding point 1 that would depend on what you want out of a ruckman
If you just want hit outs then yes
If you want a complete player who then gets his share of contested ground ball then no

You're right.
We shouldn't even consider trading marshall, even for a young elite A grade midfielder because he could one day do a plugger and win a brownlow in a bottom 4 team.
I think Marshall is a ripper and will only get better but no team would give you an A grade mid for him , well maybe a worn out one who was an A and is now a C Grade mid

1. I love marshall- but only rose coloured glasses would have you say that as of today he is the equivalent of, or better than todd goldstein.

2. Cashing in marshall for:
An elite mid with lots of years of elite football left, while simultaneously getting in an elite AA ruckman who has missed 10 games of football in 10 years and showing zero signs of slowing down anytime soon....

That's a short term fix?

3. On the contrary- those of you calling it blasphemous to ever raise Marshall's name as a trade option are bringing too much emotion into it.

To me it looks like you are blinded by the light from 1 shining diamond in amongst a pile of cow dung...
and you can't see that you'd be much better off overall selling the diamond so you could pay someone to get rid of all that poop

Is that because you say so , Ok mate you tell us who will swap an elite mid for him , Not that he will be traded IMO , just garbage posted by some poor frustrated Journo , and then followed up by some on here

Is that because you say so , Ok mate you tell us who will swap an elite mid for him , Not that he will be traded IMO , just garbage posted by some poor frustrated Journo , and then followed up by some on here
Every pundit knows Marshall is a hell of a find , for a young guy who has just started his ruck craft we know he will only get stronger and with his ability to get the football he could be anything and people think we would even consider the guy as a trade for anyone would be insane.
We need a good ruck and we have know luckily stumbled upon one , now through draft or trade we need to secure a elite mid and it is achievable and who knows the amount of improvement in Hunter Clark , Gresham , Bytel , Steele to fill that elite void.

We have Hannebery to help the development of our young mids and with more time to add strength and stamina these kids can grow into something we are craving for.

People just have to chill out while these guys develop.

We have had a lot of failures like McCartin and Godard but we have snared most probably something better with Max King , Clavarino , Battle , Wilkie , Paton , Hunter Clark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back