2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We get hammered by Dangerfield, Bontempelli/Macrae, Martin, Trelloar and Cripps every time we play against them. We need another strong mid to curb the influence players like this have. The Dogs and Cats have been able to hurt us as evidenced in the last few weeks. Lots to consider - we definitely need another half back to cover Hodge so B.Smith is a suitable type. No doubt Ely was drafted for these reasons.

Talking Footy last night mentioned the crows will look to do a massive overhaul of there list. Who from that club is firstly gettable & secondly who would be a need for our best 22 or depth. In my opinion Brodie Smith would be a massive get, would be 28 start of next season, has an elite kick & means we would have arguably the best two kicks in the comp playing off our half back. Obvioulsy I think for that to happen Hodge would have to retire. Obviously one of the Crouch boys would slot into the midfield beautifully but don't think they are a chance to move.

Talking Footy last night mentioned the crows will look to do a massive overhaul of there list. Who from that club is firstly gettable & secondly who would be a need for our best 22 or depth. In my opinion Brodie Smith would be a massive get, would be 28 start of next season, has an elite kick & means we would have arguably the best two kicks in the comp playing off our half back. Obvioulsy I think for that to happen Hodge would have to retire. Obviously one of the Crouch boys would slot into the midfield beautifully but don't think they are a chance to move.
Having that David Noble connection helps. I don't think Smith will be a good replacement for Hodge though. Hodge is a one of a kind, that's what makes him special. I would be encouraging Hodge to play on another year, if he wants to. Imagine if Hodge was at Hawthorn still, they would've been playing finals these year.

Last edited:

Having that David Noble connection helps. I don't think Smith will be a good replacement for Hodge though. Hodge is a one of a kind, that's what makes him special. I would be encouraging Hodge to play on another year, if he wants to. Imagine if Hodge was at Hawthorn still, they would've been playing finals these year.

Pretty much dominated yesterday’s discussion here after a Crows supporter came on here and mentioned we were looking at him.

Matthew Lloyd had on footy classified Carlton getting all of coniglio , Martin , and paply . Are they really that much of a destination club ? Few early losses next year there will be all sort of comments about Teague .

Matthew Lloyd had on footy classified Carlton getting all of coniglio , Martin , and paply . Are they really that much of a destination club ? Few early losses next year there will be all sort of comments about Teague .

They will get 2/3. Cogs will be a Hawk.

Thought the same. Where has the Papley connection come from? Would've thought Sydney would be very reluctant to let him go and certainly not cheaply.

No way would I be giving up pick 19 AND Walker for Brodie Smith. I think pick 19 is probably slight overs. He will be 28 before next season starts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m all for getting Smith on the list, but not for the pies pick. Surely he is worth no more than a mid second rounder?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

AA quality small defender and contracted for a further two years. Yes he would be 28/29 at the start of next year but the price is still way more than a mid second rounder imo.

No way would I be giving up pick 19 AND Walker for Brodie Smith. I think pick 19 is probably slight overs. He will be 28 before next season starts.
Contracted players don't come cheap. Adelaide will be asking for 19 at the minimum, and likely more. They made us pay up for Charlie, fortunately he turned out to be a steal.

I'd rather go for Zac Williams than Smith, but I can't see GWS willingly trading away another experienced player when they're already probably losing Cogs, Patton and Tomlinson.

I understand that. Charlie was 23 though, and had just kicked 5 goals in a prelim. I'm not someone who was upset that we gave up pick 12 for him.

Brodie Smith is a fine player and I'd be happy if we got him, but he's nearly 28 and has recently done an ACL. I wouldn't be too happy or too upset giving up pick 19 for him, which indicates it is probably a fair trade. No way I'd be giving them an earlier pick or throwing in Josh Walker as steak knives.

I understand that. Charlie was 23 though, and had just kicked 5 goals in a prelim. I'm not someone who was upset that we gave up pick 12 for him.

Brodie Smith is a fine player and I'd be happy if we got him, but he's nearly 28 and has recently done an ACL. I wouldn't be too happy or too upset giving up pick 19 for him, which indicates it is probably a fair trade. No way I'd be giving them an earlier pick or throwing in Josh Walker as steak knives.
I agree with you, 19 is fair. But contracted players usually attract an extra tax, because the club they're leaving doesn't have to come to the table, they can walk away and keep him for another year. That gives them extra leverage.

Mind you, I had a quick look at the Adelaide board and the posters there who aren't absolute nuffies reckon he's worth a late first. So 19 could do it.

Reckon 19 would be pretty close for someone like Smith due to age and the fact that Crows look like doing a bit of a list shake up. I would like to add to our midfield to help with our centre clearances, but might have to look to next trade period for that one. We have some depth but not a lot of x factor in the middle. We have good ball winners, but not someone who can get the ball and put on a few steps to get around a tackle. Need a touch of speed in the middle still. Hoping Rayner can have a big preseason and increase midfield time next season.

Reckon 19 would be pretty close for someone like Smith due to age and the fact that Crows look like doing a bit of a list shake up. I would like to add to our midfield to help with our centre clearances, but might have to look to next trade period for that one. We have some depth but not a lot of x factor in the middle. We have good ball winners, but not someone who can get the ball and put on a few steps to get around a tackle. Need a touch of speed in the middle still. Hoping Rayner can have a big preseason and increase midfield time next season.

Let's just go ham and offer our first and second for Matt Crouch and Brodie Smith. Done!

I agree with you, 19 is fair. But contracted players usually attract an extra tax, because the club they're leaving doesn't have to come to the table, they can walk away and keep him for another year. That gives them extra leverage.

Mind you, I had a quick look at the Adelaide board and the posters there who aren't absolute nuffies reckon he's worth a late first. So 19 could do it.

Had a quick look at their board too, he’s seem genuinely rated by them.

Like others I think the GC pick would be on the money, however depends how close the Collingwood pick drifts. If it get within a few picks, I can imagine them digging their heels being contracted.

We get hammered by Dangerfield, Bontempelli/Macrae, Martin, Trelloar and Cripps every time we play against them. We need another strong mid to curb the influence players like this have. The Dogs and Cats have been able to hurt us as evidenced in the last few weeks. Lots to consider - we definitely need another half back to cover Hodge so B.Smith is a suitable type. No doubt Ely was drafted for these reasons.

Danger Bont Cripps and co will be literally shaking when they see Ely line up on them.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back