List Mgmt. 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Small forward was clearly a huge issue, and we seem to have addressed that via Mcreery, Ginnivan and Chugg. Small forwards are typically taken very late in the drafts, so we have drafted appropriately in that regards.

Can't help but be a little dissapointed that we haven't address the key defensive issue. The club obviously rates Keane highly, and must still consider Kelly as a defensive prospect as well as forward. But overall, I'd hate to see Roughead go down this year. I think we are definitely a key forward light as well, so was surprised we wouldn't take Callow.

I think we have had a very solid draft period all-round, but it would have been nice to have scored one of the highly rated key talls. Obviously, they were all gone by pick 8, so it would've involved a monster trade to get into the top 8 to score one. That would have likely cost 2 of our picks 14,16 and future 1st. So would have ended our draft very quickly last night with only 2 top end selections + Reef with a substantial deficit. This way, we have been able to bring in 6 prospects.

So we've made the most of our hand, but probably reflects the failure that was trade period by not getting a top 10 selection for either of Treloar or Stephenson.

I'd like us to as well - defender though if there is someone half likely. With Kelly, Tohill and this new kid, we've probably got enough KPF projects for now.
I’d still like to see Kelly in defence. I feel that’s where he plays his best footy.

Agree with you. And he'd be a loss if 2021 was a year where we were looking at flag only and anything else as a disappointment - like 2019 and to a lesser extent 2020. But it's going to be a year we are looking to develop some players whilst still being competitive. In these terms, he's not much of a loss, if at all. as we'll find someone new to the list, who will be as good or better within 12 months.
Yeah I agree he is no loss. Should be very replaceable. Treloar and Stevo are the ones it’s hard to replace

I’d still like to see Kelly in defence. I feel that’s where he plays his best footy.
I daresay that will be plan b if he doesn't cut it as a forward. But if he can cut it as a forward, we need him forward.

It's so different to how it used to be, these days with the lack of leading space, the defender gets to dictate the contest so much more often than the forward, so most KPPs would play better footy in defence. But unless they are going to be star KPDs, you'd play them forward if they are good enough to be effective there, because, unless their ground level game is top shelf so few KPFs are good enough to do much more than just provide a contest.

Yeah I agree he is no loss. Should be very replaceable. Treloar and Stevo are the ones it’s hard to replace
I hope for Stevo's sake he becomes the player we all thought he was going to be, but at the moment, he's not hard to replace. His potential is hard to replace, but his actual performance to date - not as much.

Last edited:
So am i correct in saying we have 37 senior listed players (can have a total of 38), 3 rookie (can have 4) and 2 cat B rookies.

So 42 total on the list and can have 44.

I have Noble, Ginnivan and Chugg as the rookies. I'm assuming that Magden and Keane have been promoted to senior list now.

So do we think we are going to take a delisted FA to fill the senior list to 38?

So am i correct in saying we have 37 senior listed players (can have a total of 38), 3 rookie (can have 4) and 2 cat B rookies.

I have Noble, Ginnivan and Chugg as the rookies. I'm assuming that Magden and Keane have been promoted to senior list now.

So do we think we are going to take a delisted FA to fill the senior list to 38?
wonder if you lads'll pick up Benny Crocker

There must be some real knocks on Callow.
I would have liked the club to have rookied Callow, however I wasn't holding out much hope.

Bucks said before the trade period that it was his view that the days of the stay at home Power Forwards were over and that the game was more suited to the mobile hybrid forwards. Callow's strength is reportedly his marking but the knock on him was lack of athleticism, agility and endurance. Clubs believe he may have already reached his ceiling.

I don't think we'll take a DFA. Might take a supplementary signing fro ma kid who missed being drafted. I'm hoping a couple train with us as we assess them.

I would have liked the club to have rookied Callow, however I wasn't holding out much hope.

Bucks said before the trade period that it was his view that the days of the stay at home Power Forwards were over and that the game was more suited to the mobile hybrid forwards. Callow's strength is reportedly his marking but the knock on him was lack of athleticism, agility and endurance. Clubs believe he may have already reached his ceiling.

I agree.

No reason he can’t prove them wrong. Best way would for him to come to Vic and perform. If he does that you’d think a spot somewhere is available ala Riccardi.

I don't think we'll take a DFA. Might take a supplementary signing fro ma kid who missed being drafted. I'm hoping a couple train with us as we assess them.

I just feel we are a key defender light on the list. Would like a 'break glass in case of emergency' defender. Either a big bodied state league player, or Oscar McDonald.

But we could perhaps look at bringing someone in mid-season if we have a few injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i saw that fox footy gave a rating to each team for the draft. Not unusual. Are they serious? Did the draft teams get an extra points for dressing nicely? How can you make an assessment the next day? Yes, we caught the reef cheaply but the reef might end up an average player and it wont look that slick. I'm not sure we can assess this draft in 2 years time...maybe in 3 or 4 we might be able to give a better indication.

Enough to say that the Pies turned over a few players and the decisions were due and sometimes overdue. We're still reliant on the younger players who have been there for few years, to take a few strides. The Browns, nathan murphy, kelly, the irish.... these are the ones that need to do something or we will reliant on no injuries.

There is a feeling that we've stripped off the deadwood and we're now ready to renovate...

He would play a mix of wing and half forward. 4 spots on bench so plenty of scope for him being picked. He has played always for seasons now and next year we will be looking for experience especially if a few injuries kick in.

Was clearly told he will not be played on the wing - he had no impact as a HFF.
If you’re saying he fills a bench spot in best 22, then I don’t think that was inline with his ambition and so prompt his departure. So bench spot is a moot point that was never a possibility.

Agree he is a soldier but my argument is he is best 22. Maybe he would have dropped out down the track but that hadn’t happened .

Was he best 22 though? You could make a strong argument he wasn't by the end of 2020 and certainly couldn't justify the 600K. I was a fan of Flipper as well.

Anyway, we've drafted some really strong talent that will make it hard for our fringe types to keep getting regular games (JT, WHE etc)

There were many fans crying out for Gunstan and Brust during trade including experts floating the Gunston trade idea. It looks like we are addressing them with late selections. McMahon models/likens his game to Gunston and Ginnivan to Brust. Now if these kids get close to that in a year or 2 we will be laughing. Then there is Henry/Rozee? Macrae/Macrae? Reef/Cripps????

Geez you’re pretty tough to please if your not stoked with this haul. All these kids to come through together should leave a lot of fans extremely hopeful about our imminent future!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I just feel we are a key defender light on the list. Would like a 'break glass in case of emergency' defender. Either a big bodied state league player, or Oscar McDonald.

But we could perhaps look at bringing someone in mid-season if we have a few injuries.
I view this year as a development year (I still think we'll be competitive though) so I wouldn't go a state leaguer or OMac, but would have liked us to draft a future prospect. I view Howe as being more than capable of being our break glass in case of emergency KPD.

Minimum senior list is 36 so I doubt we’ll end up taking another senior player

Pretty sure this is the first time we have ever drafted a Finlay, a Reef, a Caleb, a Beau ( we did have a Bo though)!!!! a Liam (we could have taken Picken but we didn’t). Amazingly we have drafted our first Oliver despite it being an old fashioned name ...although there was one player with that surname.

There’s now two Isaacs and they are both on our list together.

And we have drafted our 37th Jack (not counting numerous johns/ Jackson’s)

Last edited:
So where we traded in 24 and 30, getting them to bid on Reef and use up our 41 and 42 was to protect not the 24 (which we then traded back to get Adelaide’s 2021 3rd) so much as to protect the 30?

It’s marginal but I guess I could see it.
I don't think we got a good enough deal for this to have been a plan where we prompted the bid. I just think we went in with a plan to either use future 1st to trade up for a KPP, which we couldn't make happen, or to wait until a Reef bid and then to try to trade it then.

Can't really complain with the intent of what we did.
Started the night with 2 picks inside 30.
Finished with 5 inside 31 and 6 before 50....and banked up enough points for Daicos next year.
They went in with a plan and in fact multiple plans and executed based on how the cards fell.

Above all else we took bigger bodied type players too as opposed to short people.
Spread in terms of need to balance the list too.

Now the proof will be in the pudding as to who goes on to make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back