List Mgmt. 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Was he best 22 though? You could make a strong argument he wasn't by the end of 2020 and certainly couldn't justify the 600K. I was a fan of Flipper as well.

Anyway, we've drafted some really strong talent that will make it hard for our fringe types to keep getting regular games (JT, WHE etc)
I agree I am not worried about the loss of Phillips. I just take comments that he wasn't best 22, that Rantall might be a good Trelaor replacement, that Stevo isnt a big loss because he was not much chop in the covid hub as unrealistic.

I am still pissed with how we have run the list down, bad decisions were made and it's almost because we have a lot of new players to look and and wonder about their potential that the mess is forgiven. My view is Eddie and Bucks should be on notice at a minimum but i think the anger has subsided and we will go back to "all is ok".

I don't see us as having drafted strong talent. 9 picks from the last 2 main drafts are picks 17, 19, 23, 30, 31, 40, 44, 45 and 51. That's not really strong talent to me. Teams that have done really well from 2020 draft are Dogs, Adel, Ess, Syd, NM. Next GWS, Hawks have a preferable pick up. A lot of teqams were not invested in this draft which is also a worry

We went in balls deep, have given up a lot to do so and picked out an ok hand. Just based on where they have come from I don't see why you would expect this 9 to make it hard for our fringe players to get games. Not many if any will be ready to really press in 2021. Maybe I am trying too hard not to get excited because I want the club not to keep pissing in our pocket and real change to come from 2020.

I agree I am not worried about the loss of Phillips. I just take comments that he wasn't best 22, that Rantall might be a good Trelaor replacement, that Stevo isnt a big loss because he was not much chop in the covid hub as unrealistic.

I am still pissed with how we have run the list down, bad decisions were made and it's almost because we have a lot of new players to look and and wonder about their potential that the mess is forgiven. My view is Eddie and Bucks should be on notice at a minimum but i think the anger has subsided and we will go back to "all is ok".

I don't see us as having drafted strong talent. 9 picks from the last 2 main drafts are picks 17, 19, 23, 30, 31, 40, 44, 45 and 51. That's not really strong talent to me. Teams that have done really well from 2020 draft are Dogs, Adel, Ess, Syd, NM. Next GWS, Hawks have a preferable pick up. A lot of teqams were not invested in this draft which is also a worry

We went in balls deep, have given up a lot to do so and picked out an ok hand. Just based on where they have come from I don't see why you would expect this 9 to make it hard for our fringe players to get games. Not many if any will be ready to really press in 2021. Maybe I am trying too hard not to get excited because I want the club not to keep pissing in our pocket and real change to come from 2020.
How about you wait and see how they all perform over preseason instead of getting hung up on the number they were selected at?

How about you wait and see how they all perform over preseason instead of getting hung up on the number they were selected at?
True.

Still the number is all we really have to go on despite what we think of their highlight reels etc ( some exceptions to that). A lot of positive opinions here also, maybe overly. I just see us with too many kids picked in the mid late draft. 18 kids on our list of 40 who have 44 games experience between them. We are vulnerable. We are a chance of forgiving the club too easily.

True.

Still the number is all we really have to go on despite what we think of their highlight reels etc ( some exceptions to that). A lot of positive opinions here also, maybe overly. I just see us with too many kids picked in the mid late draft. 18 kids on our list of 40 who have 44 games experience between them. We are vulnerable. We are a chance of forgiving the club too easily.
A moderator commenting on overly positive opinions.
Hmmm interesting.
Things have changed a lot on this board.

True.

Last year technically one of the oldest lists, now probably one of the younger lists. I will take this one. Of the three we gave away, Stevo is the one who could give us nightmares, Phillips can only play one spot.
Treloar will hurt short term, but long term l think we will have his spot well covered.
Off season stuff up for sure, at the trade table. Drafted well,
So hopefully they learnt from this.
The draft actually gives me a little bit of hope for next year that we can hold our position next year, and even improve beyond that

I think we need an experienced key defender as a DFA.

Unless the club has faith in Keane and Kelly (who I think should be developed as a forward ) or thinks Lynch can reinvent himself.... I just don’t see that the depth is there.

I’m wondering the same thing about Lynch. Probably behind Cameron in the ruck pecking order. Could he develop into a lockdown full back?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m wondering the same thing about Lynch. Probably behind Cameron in the ruck pecking order. Could he develop into a lockdown full back?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He doesn't look agile enough to me. But neither does Roughy and he's servicable. So maybe

Pls share key takeaways
- Reef dropping down the draft order was critical for us and first bit of luck we’ve had in a while. Especially after Adelaide not selecting him opened it up for us.

- Was asked about drafting tall midfielders (192, 193cm) and if they were here to stay
Said it was horses for courses

- Focusing more on a balance for Inside grunt as opposed to outside speed.

- We’ve had to have players on the inside but we want them on the outside receiving

- Rookies we picked today and beau mccreery have serious speed

-was asked if whether selecting players from different states is an issue. He said no but he also said Matt Rendell said it was (lol)
Just have to back out program/system

- Reef and Poulter are in positions sitting behind Pendles and Sier easing the physical pressure of Pendles and develop the young boys into their positions talking about a ‘cycle of evolution’

-Caleb Poulter was at the pub with Lachlan Jones having beers having a draft party there lol.

so sounds like Sier will be getting more of a go.
Ginnivan, Chugg, mccrerry hopefully be our outside running ball users with good disposal.
Poulter and Reef will be in and under the pack helping Taylor Adams win the ball and a few flags for us. :thumbsu:

Hopefully this link works

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=768225
If not, you can find it here

goes for about 10 mins.

Completely agree.

Surface level, big tick for the club last night - all that talk about wanting to ‘get into the draft’ came through with 5 picks in 31.

But we’ve all heard how Nathan Murphy was a steal, Rantall & Bianco were sliders. It’s early days for all 3 but they haven’t played and we were lauding their arrivals.

- Kennedy, Broomhead - Shaz, Freeman

Hopefully we look back and this was similar to Geelongs 1999 draft;
Joel Corey, Paul Chapman, Ling, Enright.

Yep or like our 2014 draft - Moore, De Goey, Maynard.

Grundy is a star. Kennedy and Broomy flopped.

Freo and Schaz were decimated by injuries.

Yeah I think you've made your mind up to be negative about the whole situation and that's your call.

It's time to move on.

We nailed some really strong talent last night, get a tad excited.

Macrae, Poulter, Henry and Mcinnes will all push for Round 1 selection. Bookmark it.

Only time will tell but obviously given Covid and the lack of footy, there was always a chance for some bargain picks irrespective of where they sit numbers wise and can only assume Hine and co saw this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only time will tell but obviously given Covid and the lack of footy, there was always a chance for some bargain picks irrespective of where they sit numbers wise and can only assume Hine and co saw this
Yep but the flip side of that you are punting on the unknown so yes greater chance of finding a bargain but also greater chance the ones you pick are duds also

Yeah I think you've made your mind up to be negative about the whole situation and that's your call.

It's time to move on.

We nailed some really strong talent last night, get a tad excited.

Macrae, Poulter, Henry and Mcinnes will all push for Round 1 selection. Bookmark it.
I think Poulter playing SA U18’s and Reef not playing U18’s at all, plus coming off an injury, means they may not really be round 1 propositions. Henry is a chance and Macrae a longshot.

Can someone simplify for me the ultimate return we got from our 2021 first round pick? I know it is complicated, but what did we actually end up getting?

It could have been a valuable standalone pick to be traded next year (especially if it ends up 8-12), but we've traded it for a few later picks by the looks of it.

Can someone simplify for me the ultimate return we got from our 2021 first round pick? I know it is complicated, but what did we actually end up getting?

It could have been a valuable standalone pick to be traded next year (especially if it ends up 8-12), but we've traded it for a few later picks by the looks of it.
Picks 24, 30 + future round 4. Which we turned into Poulter and a key forward in McMahon

Poulter McMahon and some points for Daicos.

Dont know what Callow your talking about. Unless you think all AFL players should be skegs...

View attachment 1026029

Hes just afl ready not even that big imo. #25

Athletically tested very similar to most our players we picked btw.

I'll see your image with another image:

OJ230920SB007.JPG

He's 18 and clearly doesn't have a mature AFL standard physique in terms of core strength or muscular development (not that he would be expected to at this stage) and yet he tips the scales at the 194cm / 101kg.

Some examples of mature-bodied AFL KPF's for comparison (numbers taken from footywire):

Levi Casboult: 201cm / 101kg
Harry McKay: 204cm / 99kg
James Stewart: 199cm / 96kg
Josh Bruce: 197cm / 101kg
Aaron Naughton: 195cm / 89kg
Tom McDonald: 194cm / 99kg
Josh Kennedy: 196cm / 102kg
Tom Hawkins: 198cm / 103kg
Sam Weideman: 195cm / 97kg
Matt Taberner: 198cm / 99kg
Jake Riccardi: 195cm / 92kg
Daniel McStay: 195cm, 100kg

and the list goes on...

Callow has an immature physique and is clearly lacking in that respect in comparison to literally any of the players listed above and yet his weight is up there with the bigger specimens. Feel free to compare him side by side with any of the players listed above (or any other established similar-sized KPF's on an AFL list) if you still think there isn't a marked difference.

Based on those comparisons he does appear to be carrying too much weight (note I'm not saying he's fat, but he is heavy for his size) and, given the concerns about his athleticism that have been reported pretty widely, it looks like he needs to both lose weight and improve his functional strength rather than just relying on weight (increased athleticism will likely come with that change) if he's going to make it onto an AFL list.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back