List Mgmt. 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for confirming. Yes no surprise at all then at his non-drafting, even mid season draft 2021 could be a stretch, will probably still be training only at that point?

I think there’ll be quite a few clubs monitoring his rehab. Be interesting to see who jumps first.

- Reef dropping down the draft order was critical for us and first bit of luck we’ve had in a while. Especially after Adelaide not selecting him opened it up for us.

- Was asked about drafting tall midfielders (192, 193cm) and if they were here to stay
Said it was horses for courses

- Focusing more on a balance for Inside grunt as opposed to outside speed.

- We’ve had to have players on the inside but we want them on the outside receiving

- Rookies we picked today and beau mccreery have serious speed

-was asked if whether selecting players from different states is an issue. He said no but he also said Matt Rendell said it was (lol)
Just have to back out program/system

- Reef and Poulter are in positions sitting behind Pendles and Sier easing the physical pressure of Pendles and develop the young boys into their positions talking about a ‘cycle of evolution’

-Caleb Poulter was at the pub with Lachlan Jones having beers having a draft party there lol.

so sounds like Sier will be getting more of a go.
Ginnivan, Chugg, mccrerry hopefully be our outside running ball users with good disposal.
Poulter and Reef will be in and under the pack helping Taylor Adams win the ball and a few flags for us. :thumbsu:

Hopefully this link works

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=768225
If not, you can find it here

goes for about 10 mins.
Thanks for posting FG. That'a a good interview.

He is a very polished player, has great forward sense, has pace, very nice kick and a great footy brain, this was told to me by someone in the under 18s recruiting department. Could play round one
Looks like your man was right about Ford.

Yeah I agree he is no loss. Should be very replaceable. Treloar and Stevo are the ones it’s hard to replace

We don’t even have to fully replace the contributions of Treloar and Stevo. Reality is that Treloar’s replacement won’t get 30+ possessions, but if they can garner the same number of clearances, work as hard defensively as they do offensively, and use the footy better, then we’re not too far behind. If Stevo’s replacement can hit the scoreboard, be more team oriented, offer forward defensive pressure, then we’re not too far behind.

So am i correct in saying we have 37 senior listed players (can have a total of 38), 3 rookie (can have 4) and 2 cat B rookies.

So 42 total on the list and can have 44.

I have Noble, Ginnivan and Chugg as the rookies. I'm assuming that Magden and Keane have been promoted to senior list now.

So do we think we are going to take a delisted FA to fill the senior list to 38?

I think the senior list is 36, with Keane still a rookie.

A bit of a random takeaway from today’s draft roll out press conference.

Did anyone else find it unusual that 3 of the draftees (Reef excluded) mentioned they had only spoken to the club once each?

Is that common or would it have been because of COVID or us not thinking we’d have a play on Macrae, Henry etc? I’m sure they were talking to those around most players and watching them closely but it seems only talking with them once (where you’d get your best vibes) is not really doing your full due diligence. In saying that all the Vic boys seem like they have good heads on their shoulders so hopefully it all pans out well.

Although not knowing how a draft would play out I suppose you’d have to speak to 80 kids twice to have all bases covered. Maybe it’s just unrealistic.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

To be fair there are still plenty of fans who would vividly recall Grundy/Broomhead/Kennedy and Scharenberg/Freeman as being recent false dawns for the club.

We need these selections to yield difference-making players.

Yeah, don’t need all of them to become A-graders. Be nice if they did but it’s just unrealistic. If a couple do and a few of the others regular best 22, we’ll have done well from this draft.

Did anyone else find it unusual that 3 of the draftees (Reef excluded) mentioned they had only spoken to the club once each?

Is that common or would it have been because of COVID or us not thinking we’d have a play on Macrae, Henry etc? I’m sure they were talking to those around most players and watching them closely but it seems only talking with them once (where you’d get your best vibes) is not really doing your full due diligence. In saying that all the Vic boys seem like they have good heads on their shoulders so hopefully it all pans out well.

Although not knowing how a draft would play out I suppose you’d have to speak to 80 kids twice to have all bases covered. Maybe it’s just unrealistic.

I heard it other Drafts where some Prospects have said they not spoken to the Team often or once.

I say might not be letting on how keen you are for a Prospect

Sidebottom also returns . Sier was coming good and got injured. Tyler Brown is another who might be ready to take the next step.

We lacked numbers in the youth department, and now we don’t. The odds of one of them advancing quickly has therefore improved, just on sheer numbers compared to last year.

Finally Treloar wasn’t especially damaging last year despite his high output. Wishful thinking perhaps but I suspect we might find we wont suffer from Treloars absence.

Not wishful thinking at all timmy I don't think we'll suffer
hamstrings are shot no speed at all
does NOT run both ways
and can't hit a side of a barn by foot or hand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, don’t need all of them to become A-graders. Be nice if they did but it’s just unrealistic. If a couple do and a few of the others regular best 22, we’ll have done well from this draft.
If we got 2 A graders and 2 best 22 from this haul we will have smashed it out of the park. Would be a sensational result.

I think those 2 boys in particular would be pretty safe in the fact they're clearly solid citizens and both have a brother in the system, so they'd have seen first hand what it takes and whether they've got what's required. Sometimes it'd take just one interview to know they're a safe bet.

The minute you interview someone 2, 3 plus times you're either very interested or you're using a kid's life as a puppet to create a smokescreen. Generally I'd suggest multiple interviews makes for strong interest.

Very happy with how last night panned out, and the answer to your question may lay within (sorry, this will end up quite long-winded):

Hawthorn, after taking DGB without issues trade us 41 & 42 for 62, 69 and a future second.

With our first pick in Pick 16, we bid on Jones as the only NGA/FS player remaining from the top 15. No chance of getting him, not a list need whatsoever. Port had positioned themself to match a bid knowing it was coming, so they were always going to. The bid basically costs them 38 & 39.

Immediately our picks from Hawthorn which were originally 41 & 42 both come in two spots each. That's a pick upgrade for free! Genius, and happens solely due to our bid coming when it did.

We take Henry with 17, GWS take Angwin and we take Macrae.

We seemed to know GWS weren't keen on Reef McInnes with their first couple of picks. Now, did we tell them if they didn't bid on Reef with their first few selections, we would then trade them our future first? I bet we did.

And were we ever going to trade out our future first for some decent 2020 picks before a Reef bid? Definitely not.

The speculation on here that we told GWS to bid with their pick before they trade it to us makes perfect sense to me. Post-bid, we trade up and get Pick 24, 30 and a Future Fourth from GWS for our Future First.

Straight away we bid on Coleman, which is win/win because we either get Coleman (unlikely, but would've been awesome) or Brisbane's pick gets swallowed up and our pick 30 moves forward a pick (the Coleman pick cost them 29). Again, free pick upgrade, our doing.

Now it gets a little bit more risky, but the draft has really opened up by this point:

We trade back 25 to 27 and a Future Third from Adelaide. Now, either we psyched Adelaide out and told them we were going to take Cook (he was probably the best SA lad available at the time), or they suspected that St Kilda were going to. Maybe St Kilda had spoke to Cook multiple times? Maybe we had spoken to Cook multiple times and they thought we'd take him? We may have also promised not to take Sam Berry.

At this stage we realise we don't need pick 59 and it has points for Fremantle, and we know they'll take O'Driscoll, so we again trade back a few spots whilst gaining 2021 points. Fremantle jump at the opportunity as it moves them up 3 spots and gets them the points.

The big risk at this point was St Kilda or Hawthorn taking Poulter. Either way, unless we were going to take Matthew Allison (St Kilda's pick at 26) or Seamus Mitchell (Hawthorn's pick at 29), I'd say they were two very calculated switch back which gained us two future selections.

Again, maybe the Saints or Hawks hadn't even spoken to Poulter, or had only spoken to him once and hadn't shown the player anything to suggest they'd take him.

Maybe I'm over-analysing the shit out of this whole thing but gee I'm happy with the way last night played out.

I'd love to know if Henry was our top selection draft-board wise and if so, where did we have him? I meant to put it towards the member forum 😭

Both Ginnivan and Chugg sound like exciting enough pick ups, wonder if they will both be eyeing off forward spots. Chugg appears to have played more defense, however reads as having some nice attributes we could use in our forward half and given our back line is already pretty stacked. Ginnivan being linked to a Toby Greene type excites me (minus the kung fu kicks and on field behavior hopefully). Beau McCreery also plays as that small forward, so nice to see we've identified and targeted an area of need.

Outside of that Macrae, Poulter and Reef as quality future mids (all ranked top 30 pre draft I believe?) are a nice haul, and with the Daicos's, Browns, Rantall and Bianco the future midfield looks promising. Henry seems a great replacement for Stevo and finally taking a KPF that we desperately needed was a relief. Don't know a lot about McMahon but seems a good size and apparently has good speed, would've liked another in today's draft so hopefully a Callow or Baldwin get an invite to train over the summer and show enough to warrant a list spot.

Was a bit worried with us coming off a really bad trade period, but with the draft hand we were dealt (even though we dealt it to ourselves) I think we've done really well.
recruiter mate liked chugg as a rookie...

but wish Hine would go some speculative talls like Rutugolea here. Always seems like the NQR undersized mid / FP types...

I think the club genuinely love the bloke, but perhaps more in a VFL capacity
obv best mates with De Goey... but despite being a good trainer, looks more a distraction & attention seeker, rather than valuable locker room guy. Club will pass. Too many stupid posts on JDG's insta

For me this is tonight was the final event in the disaster that was our 2020 off season. We have developed a very unbalanced list and as we shed more of our elite talent in the next few seasons we have little quality coming through the ranks. Our drafting from 2015 onwards, now 6 drafts, has been a mess

Left on our list from after 2014 we have the following draft picks (from the main draft)
2015 32
2016 35, 59
2017 39,50,
2018 13, 29
2019 40,45,55
2020 17,19,22,30,31,44

We now have 18 players out of a list of 40 who have less than 44 games of experience between them. (10 player 0 games, 3 players 1 game, 1 player 2 games, 1 4 games, 1 nine, 1 eleven and 1 fifteen.) All our 6 top 10 picks on the list comes from 2014 or before. It will be amazing drafting from Hine if this list turns into a good one in the seasons ahead. He is basically playing a poker game with no access to the picture cards. Very hard to win

This isn't a knock on the 9 kids we have drafted in 19/20. None of us can really tell if any of them make it. I like the look of Henry and Macrae in particular but I am just guessing like most of us. Truth still is we shipped out A grade talent a few weeks ago and on numbers will struggle to replace that. List very unbalanced now for mine.

I'm not sure what you were expecting leading into the draft? I feel like our mistakes had already happened. Hine managed to turn a mediocre draft hand into a much improved one with some clever live trading. Given where we started the night I think it was a big win.

It's hard to predict how these draftees will go but my read is we look to have brought in some very good midfielders. With Reef, Macrae, Poulter then Daicos next year I feel confident we get some hits in that group. And size! Key forward, the good ones were already out of the draft but I am glad we brought in a developing key forward in McMahon. Then we have some energy forward of the ball with general/small forwards with Henry who is quality and the pressure that McCreery (highest f50 tackle nos in the SANFL) and Ginnivan bring, appreciating also this position is often found later in the draft.

Then the real question is what do we do with our cap space? We won't see the fruits of that this year but when you talk of replacing A-Grade talent i'm comfortable we have a warchest to do it. I think we will look to get an established mid and key forward with that, and given the money we had walk out the door we are positioned for that.

I do appreciate the frustration, this off season has been nothing short of shite, but I do reckon last night went as good as we could have hoped.

I don't mind it. Does my head in that talking in an interview is such a huge selection criteria for so many jobs that you aren't paid to talk. Talk to them once to get a vibe, but ultimately draft them based on what you've seen they can do and other sources for information about character. don't know what else you're going to get from a follow up interview, other than a vibe.

I'm not sure what you were expecting leading into the draft? I feel like our mistakes had already happened. Hine managed to turn a mediocre draft hand into a much improved one with some clever live trading. Given where we started the night I think it was a big win.

I think they're getting too much credit for the trading. Ultimately we traded a future 1st and a future 2nd for pick 30,31 two future 3rds and a future 4th. It really was the classic bundle up a lot of not much for something good, which we all usually laugh at. We're really rating it highly because Reef slid through so we got two kids with a bit of potential as well as Reef. I think Poulter is going to be a good one too - the other two sound good too, but we might not have needed to trade in order to draft them. We may have essentially traded a future first for Poulter and a future third.

I think they're getting too much credit for the trading. Ultimately we traded a future 1st and a future 2nd for pick 30,31 two future 3rds and a future 4th. It really was the classic bundle up a lot of not much for something good, which we all usually laugh at. We're really rating it highly because Reef slid through so we got two kids with a bit of potential as well as Reef. I think Poulter is going to be a good one too - the other two sound good too, but we might not have needed to trade in order to draft them. We may have essentially traded a future first for Poulter and a future third.
Who cares? We were always going to get rid of the 2021 1st anyway. She'll be right.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who cares? We were always going to get rid of the 2021 1st anyway. She'll be right.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really like the sound of the kids we drafted, but I think this board is bi-polar regarding trades. Calamity over a non-calamitous trade period, followed by euphoria over a bunch of pick swaps that weren't very good pick swaps - the first one was bloody ordinary. The one with GWS was ordinary too, but we salvaged a little of what we'd lost by trading down a couple of times and gaining some future points.

Completely agree.

Surface level, big tick for the club last night - all that talk about wanting to ‘get into the draft’ came through with 5 picks in 31.

But we’ve all heard how Nathan Murphy was a steal, Rantall & Bianco were sliders. It’s early days for all 3 but they haven’t played and we were lauding their arrivals.

- Kennedy, Broomhead - Shaz, Freeman

Hopefully we look back and this was similar to Geelongs 1999 draft;
Joel Corey, Paul Chapman, Ling, Enright.
agree... think Bianco & Rantall may struggle to get into this team now. Have some v good young mids to compete with

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back