Training 2020 Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

No need to get personal, just because the facts don't actually support your side of the argument.

Being right does not make me senile, grumpy, or crazy.
Oh I think there’s every need to get personal after some of the personal garbage you’ve been posting of late.

Putting that aside, your assertion that a running defender is somehow actually a midfielder is quite ridiculous and should be called out

Why do I need a shovel, if I wanted to go I can just take the hole you dug yourself!
I'm not the one spouting stupidity, suggesting that Rance was ever a midfielder - or even in a defacto outside midfield position. That's digging yourself a very deep hole.

My argument is based on fact. Yours is based on 1960s style static football thoughts, which haven't been relevant for almost 20 years.

I'm not the one spouting stupidity, suggesting that Rance was ever a midfielder - or even in a defacto outside midfield position. That's digging yourself a very deep hole.

My argument is based on fact. Yours is based on 1960s style static football thoughts, which haven't been relevant for almost 20 years.

Perhaps this article will help with your silly assertion.

In it we see Smith talking about his role as a defender across half back and that a “move” to the midfield is not on the cards I.e he’s not in the midfield.

Hahahaha, the fact that you can't see the obviousness of that being a joke directed at the ludicrous nature of your reasoning is extremely eye opening!

Wowsers... Take a lap Vadar!

Trade bait

Will end up being a repeat of Ricky Henderson if we let Rory go.

Don't get me wrong, right offer and I'm trading/letting go due to the circumstances we find ourselves in but there will be a price to pay for this one. Especially if Rory finds his way to a Collingwood/West Coast etc.

All Australian Brodie Smith in 2014:
72% of possessions in the defensive half, including 33% inside the defensive 50

Other Crows in 2014:
Jaensch: 76% defensive half
Reilly: 84% defensive half
Mackay: 62% defensive half
Henderson: 78% defensive half
B. Martin: 54% defensive half
Douglas: 52% defensive half
Brown: 84% defensive half

Other Crows in general:
Atkins 2017: 59% defensive half
Seedsman 2017: 62% defensive half
Laird 2017: 76% defensive half
Smith: 68% defensive half

Premiership outside midfielders of 2014
Brad Hill: 51% of possessions in defensive half with 13% inside defensive 50
Issac Smith: 56% defensive half, 20% in D50

Doesn't look like the same sort of role to me

Last edited:
I thought he played back with a part-time midfield role in 2014.

I'll be honest, I've blocked out most of my memories of 2013/14.

Half back is an outside midfield position so it does count.

Will end up being a repeat of Ricky Henderson if we let Rory go.

Don't get me wrong, right offer and I'm trading/letting go due to the circumstances we find ourselves in but there will be a price to pay for this one. Especially if Rory finds his way to a Collingwood/West Coast etc.
Hawks will snap Rat up if he becomes available cheap....odds on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top is Brodie Smith's 2017 season, bottom is Rory Atkins

View attachment 834033

View attachment 834034
The interesting comparison would be how many minutes Rory Atkins spent standing next to his direct opponent compared to Brodie Smith.

Something tells me that would be an even more lopsided graphic.... Primarily because they clearly played different positions in 2017.

Still an outside midfield position.

The last Adelaide AA wingman I can think of is Anderson, in the early 1990s. However, he was developed by Essendon and only returned to Adelaide in the twilight of his career. Even our premiership wingmen weren't anything to write home about - Vardy was the best of them and he was nowhere near AA standard (Koster, Connell & Thiessen were the others).

Any way you care to look at it, our shortage of AA wingmen goes back a long way prior to Campo's influence.

You're forgetting Simon Tregenza Vader. The rest we tried have basically failed such as Ricky Henderson, Brent Reilly etc.

I'd be interested to see the heatmaps for DMac and Seedsman, both of whom are clearly regarded as midfielders. Rat has to be one of the least defence-minded player on our entire list.

Brodie's red/orange extends all the way to the back of the centre circle, and his yellow goes all the way to the F50 arc. Brown's red/orange barely extends outside the D50, and the yellow doesn't even make it to the centre of the ground. Rat's red/orange is more clearly centred on the wing, but his yellow doesn't extend any further forward than Brodie's.

What this tells me is that Brodie covered a more ground than Rat, and a waaaaaay more than Brown.

Brown's heat map is what an archetypal defenders' should look like. Brodie's is very different - it's a hybrid of Rats' and Browns', which supports my argument that HBF is a defacto midfield position and not a pure defensive position as Betts & Peter would like to argue.

Two more, here we have Tom Doedee (top) and Jake Kelly (bottom) for 2018

Screenshot_20200305-163848__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200305-163709__01.jpg

Here's Brodie Smith again:

screenshot_20200305-160226__01-jpg.834033

You're forgetting Simon Tregenza Vader. The rest we tried have basically failed such as Ricky Henderson, Brent Reilly etc.
Trigger was never an AA selection, and was around the same time as Anderson.

Reilly wasn't drafted as an outside midfielder, though he did end up being used there occasionally. Henderson was, but he was a rookie selection who was speculative at best and turned out better than we had any right to expect from that draft pick.

The primary reason why our outside midfielder stocks have been so poor is that we just haven't made them a draft priority. Consider our top-25 draft picks over the last decade:
2010 - Brodie Smith - outside midfielder (#1)
2011 - no picks inside top-25
2012 - no picks inside top-25
2013 - Matt Crouch - inside midfielder
2014 - Jake Lever - tall defender
2015 - Wayne Milera - outside midfielder (#2)
2016 - Jordan Gallucci - midfielder who is neither good inside or outside
2017 - Darcy Fogarty - tall forward
2018 - Chayce Jones - inside/outside midfielder (call him #3)
2018 - Ned McHenry - small forward
2019 - Fischer McAsey - tall defender
2019 - Harry Schoenberg - inside midfielder

There really are only 3x outside mids on that list - Smith, Milera, and Jones. Of these, Smith has 1x AA selection, playing at HBF as a rebounding defender - a position which I regard as a defacto outside midfield position. Jones has only played 8x AFL games, and his career lies ahead of him. Milera's pre-season form has been outstanding, a dramatic improvement on his confidence sapped 2019.

Two more, here we have Tom Doedee (top) and Jake Kelly (bottom) for 2018

View attachment 834062
View attachment 834063

Here's Brodie Smith again:

screenshot_20200305-160226__01-jpg.834033
Thanks for that!

Smith's heat map really does extend a lot further up the ground than the other defenders you've provided - Doedee, Kelly, and Brown, all of whom rarely venture outside the D50. By the same token, he clearly didn't spend as much time on the wings as DMac, Atkins and Seedsman.

Smith's heat map is really a hybrid of the two - part defenders' profile (red predominantly in D50), part wingman (yellow all the way to the F50 arc). He's clearly not a full-time midfielder, but he gets far more of the ball between the arcs than any of the true defenders. This is why I refer to him as a defacto outside midfielder - sort of a part time defender and part time mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2020 Pre Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back