List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we going to trade out anyone?, if so, surely we will have the picks to satisfy the Tigers for Higgins.

Interesting listening to Goddard talk about leaving St Kilda. Makes it pretty clear it was Pelchen that basically forced him out.

Seriously how much of a disaster was Pelchen.

Thank god we have a competent off field team now. Looking like another A grade trade period coming up.

Even with the addition of Crouch, I still think we are the best fit for Treloar. Do the Doggies really need him?

Well in this hypothetical he would be replacing Dunkley. Dunkley couldn't even fit and was forced to the forward line.

Treloar would be a terrible investment for the dogs IMO. They already have Bont, MacRae, Smith, Hunter, Libertore etc.

Interesting listening to Goddard talk about leaving St Kilda. Makes it pretty clear it was Pelchen that basically forced him out.

Thank god we have a competent off field team now. Looking like another A grade trade period coming up.

He forced out Goddard, Dal Santo, McEvoy and Ross Lyon.

He was leaking information on Saintsational to undermine RL from the moment he arrived at the club, really just a pathetically unprofessional individual.

To be fair, we were well over the cap at the time apparently.

He wasn't great though

It's the lack of pace that has me double guessing. He seems to want to come to the Saints for more midfield time, but it's not like we're bursting with speed in the engine room. Gresh is okay, but I wouldn't say fast, Jones probably our fastest & Seb is okay once he gets going, but he'll be moved around now that Crouch is in. I think we need a quick small...and not sure Higgins fits the role. My mate was also saying that Higgins most annoying trait are these loopy 20 metre kicks that puts everyone under pressure. It kind of all goes against the gameplan Ratts wants... whether it's forward or mid. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Yeah, I can't see him getting many midfield minutes with us, he's slow and doesn't kick many goals as a forward so I'll get excited when he performs.

He'll be fringe for us too IMO.

It would be great to take him on, but he's as much a liability for a new club as he is for Collingwood.

I'm happy either way.
Just like with crouch- we've made it clear that if we were to get treloar, it wouldn't be by overpaying what he is objectively worth.

Of course treloar isn't worth anything close to 900k x5 as a player, just as crouch of course wasn't worth 750-800k x5.

Treloar is a better player than crouch, and getting both those guys in would give us everything we need for a REAL shot at a flag in the next 3 years.
So i suspect we have a number in mind- ie if the pies and/or treloar were able to make the equation something more like 750k x 5... then I reckon we'd jump all over him.

I don't think that is likely to happen (200-250k x5 would surely be a league record price that a club has paid to have someone NOT play for them), so my money is on him staying put for a year.

(The fact that he has held off meeting with the dogs for so long makes me think he's really not keen)

That's a win for us too though I think.

Next year we would then be looking at trying to snag any of treloar, josh kelly or zac merrett- that's a great list of A grade targets to spend the next 12 months speaking to.

Well in this hypothetical he would be replacing Dunkley. Dunkley couldn't even fit and was forced to the forward line.

Treloar would be a terrible investment for the dogs IMO. They already have Bont, MacRae, Smith, Hunter, Libertore etc.
Dunkley was the only one to have an impact in the forward line in the final against us. Bont and Libby are fair in the forward line but not great. If you have a deep midfield some of them need to impact forward. Losing Dunkley and gaining Treloar is a step backwards despite Treloar being a better player.

I'm happy either way.
Just like with crouch- we've made it clear that if we were to get treloar, it wouldn't be by overpaying what he is objectively worth.

Of course treloar isn't worth anything close to 900k x5 as a player, just as crouch of course wasn't worth 750-800k x5.

Treloar is a better player than crouch, and getting both those guys in would give us everything we need for a REAL shot at a flag in the next 3 years.
So i suspect we have a number in mind- ie if the pies and/or treloar were able to make the equation something more like 750k x 5... then I reckon we'd jump all over him.

I don't think that is likely to happen (200-250k x5 would surely be a league record price that a club has paid to have someone NOT play for them), so my money is on him staying put for a year.

(The fact that he has held off meeting with the dogs for so long makes me think he's really not keen)

That's a win for us too though I think.

Next year we would then be looking at trying to snag any of treloar, josh kelly or zac merrett- that's a great list of A grade targets to spend the next 12 months speaking to.

Collingwood are only offering him to get the Salary off their cap. If they only end up losing 400K a year of their cap they might as well just delist Phillips.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know about that. I asked my die hard Richmond mate about Higgins because I know very little about him. He called him desperately overrated, slow, a crappy kick, and handballs way too much, but can kick a fluke goal from time to time. He concluded by saying that St.Kilda can have him for free as far as he's concerned, as we would be doing the Tige's a favour. He's usually pretty fair and a good judge of a players ability.
Jury's out.

if this is your Mates genuine opinion on Higgins can you ask him how he enjoyed watching his first season of footy this year?

I hope we do that just to force Dildo's hand, like the Blues did with Shiel.
Put the pressure on him - could make things interesting.

I hope we do that just to force Dildo's hand, like the Blues did with Shiel.

I agree.
Remember when we were trading for Carlisle and Clarkson put in a bullshit bid on him.
If we suggested a 1st for Caldwell, on decent pay, the worst thing that could happen is that he'd end up here. But more likely Essendon would be forced to come to the party.

Time to call Caldwell’s manager, and the Giants and throw that first rounder on the table.

That would be pretty sweet little payback for dodoro getting the hawks involved with carlisle years ago.

Ameet was crafty enough to get sydney involved meaning we walked away with carlisle and a ripper deal still, despite hawthorns interest making us cough up a bit more than we were going to.

Jake got nervous about potentially ending up in the PSD because the trade was going down the wire near deadline- and sounds like he very nearly switched his nomination to the hawks just to avoid the uncertainty.

Perhaps Jye is equally happy to forego a bit of coin and switch his nomination to us if we can provide him certainty that a trade can be done way before deadline?

Especially now that he knows that the bombers are neck deep into dunkley- all of a sudden our crouch trade isn't a huge differentiator.

More likely to stay at the pies on 900k for an extra year i suspect, no matter how uncomfortable it would be to do an extra year there.

He's already been taking 'pay cuts' for the last couple of years from the pies backending his money- i can't see him being too keen on accepting more actual pay cuts.

From his (and everyone bar the moron pies) perspective he's done nothing wrong- he agreed to a deal and he's owed the money.

In fact he has gone above and beyond in agreeing to back end the money to help the pies out- they are now using his own generosity against him.

If he needs any pointers on doing the bare minimum for 12 months at a club he doesn't want to play for- he has the perfect mentor right there:

images

He also has a perfect example of the Karma Bus always being on schedule ... I love watching Buckley's face whenever the big prize is slipping from his grasp ... it's one of footy's true pleasures :)

It's the lack of pace that has me double guessing. He seems to want to come to the Saints for more midfield time, but it's not like we're bursting with speed in the engine room. Gresh is okay, but I wouldn't say fast, Jones probably our fastest & Seb is okay once he gets going, but he'll be moved around now that Crouch is in. I think we need a quick small...and not sure Higgins fits the role. My mate was also saying that Higgins most annoying trait are these loopy 20 metre kicks that puts everyone under pressure. It kind of all goes against the gameplan Ratts wants... whether it's forward or mid. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Ratts made Butler a much better and more disciplined player than he ever was at Richmond. AA form better.

Ratts can do the same with Higgins.

He forced out Goddard, Dal Santo, McEvoy and Ross Lyon.

He was leaking information on Saintsational to undermine RL from the moment he arrived at the club, really just a pathetically unprofessional individual.

Funny Goddard regurgitates this every year ...Dal Santo ...doesn’t

Remember Brendon at the start of his final year going on media street saying he would be exploring
free agency at the end of the year ( Which is he total right by the way) then gets bitter when club
used the same system.. reeks of sour grapes .

Still waiting for movie release he promised when at Bombers ...most supporters I know moved on
appears Brendon hasn’t , yet talks Essendon is great trying to convince himself of it.

To be fair, we were well over the cap at the time apparently.

He wasn't great though

The plan had merits but was poorly implemented.

Trading out players with value is fine if you're doing so during a series of drafts that strong and not already pilfered by new franchises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back