List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just been listening to Road to the Draft on AFL.com and they spoke about Josh Ward who reportedly "wants to remain in Melbourne if he can".
Finn Callaghan (Vic) and Neil Erasmus (WA) are others who supposedly have indicated their desire to stay in their respective states.

Now none of the three are going to be available at our first pick and there is an argument that interstate clubs 'benefit' from knowing of their wishes (and avoid picking them), but once again it does illustrate the importance of the academies and the potential difficulties clubs from 'non AFL' states face.

Might be worth pointing out that all 3 are likely to go in the top 10 this year, so can afford to be more honest knowing that they will be picked up.
Players less sure of their draft standing may be more reticent to express their desire to stay at home.
I think the AFL know this and their continued support of academies is vital if they want to maintain expansion of the game. Two edged sword. Vic kids will migrate back to vic if selected. Must maintain academies to the angst of vic clubs and fans.

Yep. What are Gold Coast and GWS meant to do. I mean basically they are being locked out from top talent because those players are basically already saying they will go home at the earliest opportunity.

Stop drafting these players would be a start and back your development

You can have pick 1 but if the top 5 players all want to stay home then essentially you have pick 6 and that hardly seems fair.

Back your development I’m over clubs having a sook especially GC. I actually hope Luco leaves his development has been stuffed

Stop drafting these players would be a start and back your development

So you're saying interstate clubs should make their drafting decisions based not on best talent available, but on other circumstances like less go-home factor etc? I would've thought that "reaching"...

So you're saying interstate clubs should make their drafting decisions based not on best talent available, but on other circumstances like less go-home factor etc? I would've thought that "reaching"...

You back your development. It’s that simple take the best player and sell your system

What if the best player is a kid with a big go-home risk though? You said above to stop drafting them.

First and foremost you back your system. If you have a woeful system a player won’t want to come.

GC a perfect example terrible system luckily they have changed lately. Hope Luco leaves though

Yep. What are Gold Coast and GWS meant to do. I mean basically they are being locked out from top talent because those players are basically already saying they will go home at the earliest opportunity.
So, what is the solution?
The US system, where the clubs own the players and trade them at will?
Longer contracts? Both at the draft and later?
I have said before and say again the AFL needs to fund academies in each state.

First and foremost you back your system. If you have a woeful system a player won’t want to come.

GC a perfect example terrible system luckily they have changed lately. Hope Luco leaves though

Weird that you are contradicting your earlier statement. Your opinion seems to have changed from "don't draft those players" to "back your system in" in the space of an hour.

Even weirder that you're actively rooting for a player to leave another club? Particularly one that is struggling. If the Suns manage to keep Lukosius, and he is happy to stay at the Suns, good for them and good for him.

Weird that you are contradicting your earlier statement. Your opinion seems to have changed from "don't draft those players" to "back your system in" in the space of an hour.

Even weirder that you're actively rooting for a player to leave another club? Particularly one that is struggling. If the Suns manage to keep Lukosius, and he is happy to stay at the Suns, good for them and good for him.

I want to see him play in a better system GC sucks for development

The problem is the situation is getting worse. More and more potential draftees are dictating who they get drafted by.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do Victoria and South & Western Australia need academies?

They don't. If anything the Northern Academies should be bolstered.
Victoria has an academy system - the private colleges.
WA and SA similar but not as ingrained.
Those states and the AFL pay SFA to develop those players but get the full benefit. They are the ones getting the free ride, not the northern states.
Get all the states on an even playing field. The AFL pays for them but the clubs run them. They progress to the draft.
No more whinging about academies, no more NGA, no more father son.

Why do Victoria and South & Western Australia need academies?
So the recruiters don't have to travel so far and wise to watch potential draftees. it reduces costs for the clubs and the AFL's carbon footprint. Or to be even more cynical, they don't want local clubs mucking up the development of potential elite players.

Draft Advent Calendar
Advent Calendar Draft Day 19:

Taken at pick 40 in the 1994 draft & wearing guernsey #19 we have Michael O'Loughlin.
Indigenous Team of the Century
2005 Premiership Winner
4th most games played for the Swans
2nd most goals kicked

The AFL, as well as Norf and Dawks, have treated Tas in a disgraceful manner. Senior and junior footy has suffered as a consequence. SFA $s have been invested there. My Tas mates all detest the malignant influence of the AFL.

Pretty sure Mr The King! would agree.
Hey GUH, if we get Jack Williams in this year's draft and Billy King next year, we'll only have to find another 17 namesakes to get the 1945 Grand Final team back together.

I think the AFL know this and their continued support of academies is vital if they want to maintain expansion of the game. Two edged sword. Vic kids will migrate back to vic if selected. Must maintain academies to the angst of vic clubs and fans.

Or trading without concent comes in and they can toughen the **** up and start to appreciate that they have an opportunity to earn what most kids their age can only dream of.

The US systems almost always draft out of university, so they are usually at least 21 years old and are already accustomed to being away from home.

You can't really compare the two scenarios, but the US system is based on drafting adults, ours is based on teenagers.

The US systems almost always draft out of university, so they are usually at least 21 years old and are already accustomed to being away from home.

You can't really compare the two scenarios, but the US system is based on drafting adults, ours is based on teenagers.

Also in the US they have a culture of 18 year olds moving out as soon as High School is over so they can go to University, often in a different state, whereas in Australia teenagers tend to just go to their local university and as a result everyone imagines living at home in their early 20's.

Also in the US they have a culture of 18 year olds moving out as soon as High School is over so they can go to University, often in a different state, whereas in Australia teenagers tend to just go to their local university and as a result everyone imagines living at home in their early 20's.

I do wish we had the American system where the clubs retain the power in trading though. You want to leave that is fine but we get the most we can to the club we can get the most return. Enough of players nominating clubs until Free Agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back