List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or trading without concent comes in and they can toughen the **** up and start to appreciate that they have an opportunity to earn what most kids their age can only dream of.

There is no way in hell trading without consent comes in, the money just isn't enough to do that for any except the top handful of earners at each club.

There is no way in hell trading without consent comes in, the money just isn't enough to do that for any except the top handful of earners at each club.

Yes it can't happen for that very reason.

Moving house and moving states can be very expensive and for the players on even the average income for an AFL player they cannot be reasonably expected to pay that expense for something they did not even choose. Basically the AFL would be forcing them to take a $50,000 pay cut when you take into account selling their current home and then buying a new one.

I do wish we had the American system where the clubs retain the power in trading though. You want to leave that is fine but we get the most we can to the club we can get the most return. Enough of players nominating clubs until Free Agency.
I wish we had the American system so my kids would move out.

Yes it can't happen for that very reason.

Moving house and moving states can be very expensive and for the players on even the average income for an AFL player they cannot be reasonably expected to pay that expense for something they did not even choose. Basically the AFL would be forcing them to take a $50,000 pay cut when you take into account selling their current home and then buying a new one.

You shouldn’t be able to nominate clubs though. Nominate a state sure but that’s it.

Agree completely there. Is a player wants to go back to Adelaide then the club of that player should be allowed to negotiate with both Adelaide and Port Adelaide.

Same with Melbourne and WA. That is until that said player qualifies for Free Agency

I was gonna put this in the media thread but I'm scared of bedford. Herald Sun have re-ranked the top 10 of the last ten drafts, and it's pretty decent, albeit you could go back and forth over certain rankings, and I think it's kinda silly to be doing the 2020 draft after one year. But maybe the thing that stood out to me most is that aside from their great trading in recent years (May, Lever, Langdon etc), Melbourne have also done really well through the draft. Of the re-done drafts, they had bloody good representation:

2020 - Jake Bowey (#4)
2019 - Luke Jackson (#1), Kozzy Pickett (#3), Trent Rivers (#7)
2017 - Bayley Fritsch (#3)
2015 - Clayton Oliver (#1)
2014 - Christian Petracca (#1)
2013 - Christian Salem (#9)

So they've managed to end up with the three best players in the respective drafts in that time while also getting some bang for their buck with picks outside the top 10. All credit to them.

FWIW, the Swans had a good showing too:

2020 - Errol Gulden (#1)
2018 - James Rowbottom (#10)
2015 - Tom Papley (#4), Callum Mills (#5)
2014 - Isaac Heeney (#6)
2012 - Dane Rampe (#5), Jake Lloyd (#8)

And to his credit the journalist (Marc McGowan - a favourite of mine) did acknowledge others like Campbell, McCartin etc. who are still developing and/or haven't played enough yet.

Draft Advent Calendar
Advent Calendar Draft Day 18:

Let's talk Joe Scanlan who wore #18. A tough defender & Bloods captain in 1928, 30-31 who played 148 games. When the Bloods signed the great Laurie Nash, it was Scanlan as South Melbourne committee member who was smuggled on board a steamer when he travelled to Tasmania to avoid tipping anyone in the media off.

So when next we talk Tippett/Franklin secret signings...remember the above and know we have form! :tongueoutv1:

And possibly a third option;
(I do like the casual way he just holds the ball in one hand at ~1.04)

Williams 195cm, 95kg late birthday (1 Dec 2003).
Played mostly fwd;
2021 averages: 14.5 disposals, 9.2 hitouts, 5.9 marks, 2.7 goals per game (WAFL colts)
Coming from a basketball background, the 17-year-old has only focused solely on footy the past few years.

WAFC STATE TALENT MANAGER ADAM JONES SAYS:
“We think Jack is a really good key-position prospect. He’s a big kid and going to have a really big frame.
“He’s got a big tank, big work ethic and he’s a pretty smart footballer.
“He’s still got aspects to improve in his game with his body work and different things but he’s a really intelligent and coachable kid.
“I’ve got great confidence that he’s going to keep improving once he’s in the system.

Full write up here from rookieme (ex draftcentral)
Key Forward/Ruck
SNAPSHOT: “A versatile tall prospect who thrives aerially and consistently kicks goals up forward, while also rotating through the ruck or even to defence.”
DRAFT PROJECTION: 25-50
SUMMARY:
While there are couple of knocks on his game overall, Williams is one of the more natural key position prospects available. He reads the ball well in flight and is a viable marking target, as well as a proven goalkicker. Having put in a body of work across a full season, including representative action, he should be in good stead to attract some interest onwards of the second round.

I know Williams is seen primarily as a fwd, but I don't see any particular reason why he couldn't transition to defence.

Twomey has JVR ranked 21, Bazzo 33 and Wiliams 34 in his October ratings.

Last edited:
So the recruiters don't have to travel so far and wise to watch potential draftees. it reduces costs for the clubs and the AFL's carbon footprint. Or to be even more cynical, they don't want local clubs mucking up the development of potential elite players.
The Northern state Academies is the one and only small advantage they have over the major states. Why would they (we) want this evened out for all clubs. They already have a huge advantage over the northern states with "I want to go home" draftees".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose each club would need to offer the player the same terms.

Yes, I imagine the player in question can set the terms but any club that meets those terms are allowed to participate in the trade negotiations and the team that has the player now is allowed to trade the player to any club that meets the players terms in terms of contract length and overall salary.

Put this here, rather than former player thread, as he was cut in this list management period.

Every person delisted from an AFL club feels disappointment but former Sydney defender Matt Ling felt a deep sense of frustration too as his body has finally shaken free of the injuries that denied him from training and playing consistently in all but the past 12 months.

Ling understands and accepts Sydney’s decision to cut him without any rancour, but he hopes to get another crack at an AFL club where he can show the speed and dynamic left foot that saw the Swans use their first round pick in the 2017 national draft to fill a need for run out of defence.

Article does outline the rotten luck he had with injuries, including injuring his ankle on the mornnig of Sydney's flight out of NSW to avoid lockdown and missing 8 weeks.

Hope this guy gets a decent injury free run, probably at state league level next season, to show his wares.

(As an aside as with Kaiden Brand, Ling shows his professionalism, unlike Sam Gray).

Put this here, rather than former player thread, as he was cut in this list management period.

Article does outline the rotten luck he had with injuries, including injuring his ankle on the mornnig of Sydney's flight out of NSW to avoid lockdown and missing 8 weeks.

Hope this guy gets a decent injury free run, probably at state league level next season, to show his wares.

(As an aside as with Kaiden Brand, Ling shows his professionalism, unlike Sam Gray).

He worked hard but unfortunately things didn’t go his way, but his body looked cooked when he was given a chance. He was so slow and lacked any explosiveness whatsoever

I hope Ling can make it, but as Superstar swan said, he lost everything that made him a first round pick. He was a fast classy ball user who couldn't take the game on and struggled to hit targets...

The pile on Sam Gray is completely misguided and unnecessary

He was asked a question and answered honestly, he shouldn’t be criticised for that. The club isn’t perfect, nor is it above criticism

FWIW James Bell isn’t AFL standard and was gifted games all season above the likes of Gray, he’s got every right to be miffed

He was asked a question and answered honestly, he shouldn’t be criticised for that. The club isn’t perfect, nor is it above criticism

FWIW James Bell isn’t AFL standard and was gifted games all season above the likes of Gray, he’s got every right to be miffed

It’s hard to be too harsh on Gray. We don’t know what was sold to him when he was recruited to the club. Yea he didn’t really deserve many games but like you said neither did others like bell. Would be frustrating for a player to see their career fall apart while others get a bit extra lee way

Will Dean or Aleer make it as far as 16? Josh Gibcus look as though he will go very early. These are the three LPB Sheehan picks out of the mob. I am not a huge draft watcher I admit so have no idea.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

He chose to go onto radio to have a go at his previous employer.

It was unnecessary, it achieved nothing, it was unprofessional.

I'm assuming you didn't watch the reserves.
Throughout the season Gray played for himself. By comparison another experienced player in Clarke did all the things you expect a midfielder to do, including blocking, shepherding, the 1%s.

Gray is nearly 30, he's played over 100 games at AFL level.
He complained about feedback and direction from the coaches and said it wasn't up to the level he received at Port.
He was delisted by Port at the end of 2019, after playing 20 games in the season. So I suppose that is a fair level of feedback.

Maybe I'm harsh on Gray but I really dislike individuals who publicly have a go at their previous employer for perceived affronts.
And how many of our former players have had a go at the coaches/club like he did?
Brand and Ling certainly haven't.

You know maybe Gray is the issue, not anyone else and he should be called out for it.

Per the kicking-as-a-midfielder conversation, I would say that I agree with RUNVS call that they need to be an above average kick, in that when their moment to do a good kick arrives, they don't fumble their lines, they just execute the pearler on the odd occasion when it's required. Other than that, I wouldn't make foot skills a key criteria for an inside mid.

I'd be looking more at someone who can fit into our midfield as a functioning cog, rather than the next Brownlow Medallist. If we think about who our gamebreakers are/will be, I would say in the back half Blakey, in the front half Heeney, and between the arcs Gulden/Campbell. They're our supreme, matchwinning talents who we'd want to put on a clinic in a big final. Finding mids who can identify these players and get it to them is what I'd be looking for, so key attributes of good awareness and decision-making skills, rather than speed or elite kicking.

(I still think we already have said mids we require and that a mid we draft this year will be somewhat surplus to our needs, but if we're going down the midfielder route and want to add to our depth, that is the approach I would take.)
You forget game breakers come in very different forms. At Melbourne Max is definitely a game breaker. Same applies to Hickey and Warner here. Any player who has an X factor can be a game breaker. Petracca, Fitsch, Rivers etc.

Foot skills and good decision making are imperative in the new model mid. The old adage of he only needs to be a battering ram don't cut it anymore. The great sides all have very good decision makers in the mids. Dees are a great example. They are the one to model on. Not the older style of Cats and Hawks. Both Cats and Hawks mids got slaughtered last season. They make bad decisions, give the ball up and are far too slow. Both need an injection of speed and good decision makers.

We are building a midfield made up of sharp, quick, strong mids who make good decisions.

Mills: Can give the ball up with a lapse of concentration but field kicking is generally sound and he makes good decisions by hand and foot.

Rowbottom: A bullocker and wriggle. He sees ball gets ball. He also uses ball well. Able to extract when most would give it up as a dead ball. Hand and foot skills good.

Parker: Sometimes makes dreadful decisions both by foot and hand but field delivery is generally good. Just needs to take the better option at times not the closest. Needs to stop that indiscriminate kick out of packs.

Florent: Clever little bugger. This bloke is the classic rover in the Bartlett fashion. Run through, take ball off ruck hands and run, run, run. His decision making and delivery can let him down. Lack of concentration or understanding of what forwards want is a problem. But when he gets it right he is sensational. He also has the ability to dodge and weave through traffic. Clever.

Warner: Hard as steel and twice as dangerous as a sword. He hits packs at speed. He gets ball out or he receives and flies. Very fast and strong through the hips. Good luck tackling him. His delivery could use some tweeking but usually very good. By hand perfect.

Papley: Speed daemon out of the centre. His disposal is elite and not too many are going to catch him.

Heeney: Rarely visits the centre square these days but his ability to take the ball away from an opponent's hands is uncanny. He delivers well both by foot or hand. Makes the odd clanger due to overthinking.

Gulden: gets in, gets it, goes. His disposal is elite and his decision making is almost perfect. Draws frees, due to height. Lethal left foot. Mcdonald is going to love his delivery next season. Not to mention Bud

Campbell: Similar to Gulden. Not as aggressive. Lethal left foot. Hands are lightning. Fast, fast, fast. Mcdonald is going to love his delivery going forward. Not to mention Bud

Sheather: From what I have seen he has improved with every outing. Hard, delivers well and makes good decisions. No frills mid.

Ronke: This bloke came to the Swans as a mid not a small forward. He is better suited there as far as I am concerned. Benny is really hard in and under. Putting him back into the mids might get his confidence back. He has ability but no confidence due to ongoing injuries.

We need another player who can make good decisions, deliver and has speed as well as bulk.

But do we take a mid at 16? Possibly. But we do need a key back and the best ones are available in the front part of the draft. Our second pick will still get a pretty sound mid.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back