Preview 2022 AFL Grand Final, Geelong vs Sydney @ 2:30pm at the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Holmes doesn’t play and O’Connor comes in, our side is weakened. Hopefully we would move smith or Duncan up the ground. But Holmes would be a big loss. Replacing him with Parfitt or Menegola would make me much less concerned.
But the problem is they both haven’t played for so long now they might struggle with the intensity of the game.

Last edited:
Scott has said Holmes is ticking the boxes & it's looking promising

Holmes himself just now has said he's ticked every box so far this week

While this from before thee parade,

Holmes:
Watched his post morning hammy test interview.... above
He avoids direct eye contact, has a nervous smile,
Gives vague open ended answers,looks sheepish,
Quick to move away from further questions.
This is not good body language....
Holmes is borderline at best.

Stokes already injured, Varcoe, injured in the prelim, Chappy hammy, and Bartel head knock in GF, iirc.

Considering the above plus Ipod and Gazza Jr both injured in Q1 of 2011 and 2020 grand finals
There is a high probability of a player becoming injured in the GF
Talking an already injured Holmes is a huge risk.... not worth taking.
If Holmes admits some concern and misses he becomes a hero
If he plays then breaks down early and Cats lose... he becomes a villain.
Cats have the players to cover for him

I'm sure the Club will make the right call

No player has been more instrumental in our new game style than Holmes; his absence will make a significant difference.

If he misses, then weather conditions might determine the choice of replacement - Parfitt would be very handy in the wet against the Swans smalls.
I think I would throw in my boy Atkins and a few others TBH. Agree though Holmes (Flash) has been a revelation

Holmes:
Watched his post morning hammy test interview.... above
He avoids direct eye contact, has a nervous smile,
Gives vague open ended answers,looks sheepish,
Quick to move away from further questions.
This is not good body language....
Holmes is borderline at best.

Considering the above plus Ipod and Gazza Jr both injured in Q1 of 2011 and 2020 grand finals
There is a high probability of a player becoming injured in the GF
Talking an already injured Holmes is a huge risk.... not worth taking.
If Holmes admits some concern and misses he becomes a hero
If he plays then breaks down early and Cats lose... he becomes a villain.
Cats have the players to cover for him

I'm sure the Club will make the right call
Yep they will make the call.

Unfortunately for Max I think that will be not to take any risk. So he won’t play. I hope I am wrong but feel as gutted for him as I did when it first happened.

So my view is late change and Holmes out with MOC into 22. Parfait sub.

All the arguments for mena (while logical around wing role) I think are moot. He hasn’t played enough footy and we have smith and Duncan to cover wing and MOC and Parf are more flexible.

I’ll be saying the same thing if we lose this year, been the best team all year, 15 games winning streak, hate to loose it all in the final game.
Personally, I won't have the same feeling tomorrow should the Cats lose (unless they kick themselves out of the game) as I've felt the Dees were the best side. Injuries and poor form at the pointy end of the season were their downfall.

Yep they will make the call.

Unfortunately for Max I think that will be not to take any risk. So he won’t play. I hope I am wrong but feel as gutted for him as I did when it first happened.

So my view is late change and Holmes out with MOC into 22. Parfait sub.

All the arguments for mena (while logical around wing role) I think are moot. He hasn’t played enough footy and we have smith and Duncan to cover wing and MOC and Parf are more flexible.
But Menegola has already been told he's in if Max out

Less anxious or nervous than last week. A bit fatalistic. We have been great, and after 15 straight, a flag would be a fitting result, but I really rate our opponent. They have looked strong all year.
I love CS and our organisation, he has kept us in contention basically all his tenure which is ridiculously good, and our young boys are all hitting form together and seem to be inspiring our seniors.
Everything is in shape for us to win, and it would be a bitter pill to not win.
However, if Sydney do get up, they are nearly the least hated team I could think of to do so. We are strong favourites, but they are even on every line, and have multiple match-winners as well.
And you?
Even you're being positive!

Personally, I won't have the same feeling tomorrow should the Cats lose (unless they kick themselves out of the game) as I've felt the Dees were the best side. Injuries and poor form at the pointy end of the season were their downfall.

I’ll be upset if we don’t bring this one home after the standard of footy we have produced this second half of the season.

Dees were rated too highly, got arrogant and rode off the cliff. It was deserved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you guys think of the occasion getting the better of us? That is, if we play within ourselves and not true to our game style that has worked so well. A bit like we played in the first 1-1.5 quarters v Pies. I worry (about a lot of things) but the mental challenge of producing on the big stage. It feels like there is 10 years of build up and the sheer weight of expectation on them.
No chance.. Cats too experienced with good leaders
Will steady any early nerves of a slow start if within touch.
The only concern is Swans get away to a huge early start
Potential mental demons of previous finals may surface.
Scott must remind them of Cats quick scoring ability
They will work their way back into contention.

One player wont win or lose us the game.
Its going to take a team effort.
As long as there is no Dusty at Sydney...
Heeney is very capable, and due a great game.
Watching out for him, I hope we are, apart from their other guns.

Its just dawned on me that tomorrow could very well be the last time we see Selwood run out for the Geelong Football Club, have been dreading this moment!!!
NO better way to see him off than LINGY handing him the Premiership Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back