List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Campbell is on struggle street trying to find a spot at senior level imo

Doesn’t get big enough numbers to be a mid
Not too worried about the numbers side of things. Our midfielders don't exactly blow up the stats sheet anyway.

I just want to see a bit more midfield craft from him. Like reading the ruck's taps, winning some clean clearances etc. He still wins too many of his touches in general play rather than in stoppage situations where a mid can be most damaging.

To be fair I thought he showed a lot more in the back end of the year when he was playing at centre bounces in the VFL. Just needs to put his head down and keep working at it.

You talk as if we just need "a tall", "any tall will do", without considering specific needs. For someone who hates players who are versatile, you seem not to care what kind of talls we get.

I’d rather have been in a position to get a forward (key) but Melbourne took the only realistic one. Happy enough with Barnett (a ruck) or Hayes (defender). They aren’t my number 1 choice but there isn’t a forward I’d take that’s left and don’t say Keeler.

I actually have massive concerns for him going forward. I’m not sure where he fits at all. What’s his role…tricky one and one I can’t answer
Look. He was a proven goal kicker atHF, FP in the juniors. As a SMALL FORWARD. He played mids too. But NEVER played back. Longmire was the genius who decided he needed to play back so he would be a two way runner. He was never very defensive unless there was a goal in it. Then he was a terrier. But players would run off him. Longmire wanted to teach him the error of his ways by playing him back. Good idea? For his defensive game at AFL level, probably. For his whole game overall. No. He is more value in the forward line. He played on a wing, yes he did not have the tank last year, a couple of time. He did not have the tank because of being played in the back pocket. Not very much space to run into out of there. Usually operating in very confined spaces.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Campbell is on struggle street trying to find a spot at senior level imo

Doesn’t get big enough numbers to be a mid

The reason he doesn't get big enough numbers is his tank. I watched him closely in the reserves and he would comfortably average good numbers in the first half but then fall off a cliff and have almost no impact in the second half.

I'm curious to see what the peeps from other clubs are saying about the draft (and us in particular). Can someone post a link to the thread? I had a bit of a look via the forums thread but got lost. I did have a look at the draft threads from some of the other clubs last night (Hawthorn, GWS, West Coast). The West Coasters were happy with their draft haul. Hawthorn were mostly aghast at the trade they did with us and underwhelmed by the selection of Weddle instead of Allan. GWS had nothing to say which made me think there must definitely be some other threads where PMBangers etc were posting.
Try searching 'Konstanty' or 'Swans' or 'Beatson' or 'Rowston' in the search bar and it will probably bring up a stack of comments referencing any or all of them. You'll have to sift through all the comments you've likely already seen on the Swans board, but I'm not sure of any better way

Do we really want him as a defender? Ideally I’d have him off a wing but does he have the tank? Wingers need to get the ball 30 times he struggles getting it 15!
What winger averages 30 touches?

Langdon, Acres, Isaac Smith, Jordan Clark, Ellis, Daicos - the leagues better/full-time wingers - all averaged about 21 touches.

Look. He was a proven goal kicker atHF, FP in the juniors. As a SMALL FORWARD. He played mids too. But NEVER played back. Longmire was the genius who decided he needed to play back so he would be a two way runner. He was never very defensive unless there was a goal in it. Then he was a terrier. But players would run off him. Longmire wanted to teach him the error of his ways by playing him back. Good idea? For his defensive game at AFL level, probably. For his whole game overall. No. He is more value in the forward line. He played on a wing, yes he did not have the tank last year, a couple of time. He did not have the tank because of being played in the back pocket. Not very much space to run into out of there. Usually operating in very confined spaces.

Still like him to play off a wing in preseason whether it be reserves or top side. I recon a high HFF is his position with Gulden playing more your true winger.

What winger averages 30 touches?

Langdon, Acres, Isaac Smith, Jordan Clark, Ellis, Daicos - the leagues better wingers - all averaged about 21 touches.

Which is still way more than Campbell and his 8-12 touches. Think he’s a HFF, not a small forward but a high HFF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is still way more than Campbell and his 8-12 touches. Think he’s a HFF, not a small forward but a high HFF
Yeah of course, he's had 2 years in the AFL, the first of which were plagued with injury, that's enough to make the call. I'm for him playing forward in seniors until he builds fitness, even then he could well stay there on results.

Yeah of course, he's had 2 years in the AFL, the first of which were plagued with injury, that's enough to make the call. I'm for him playing forward in seniors until he builds fitness.

Him not getting the pill was the same as he was drafted too. He needs a set position I hope we do this early.

Him not getting the pill was the same as he was drafted too. He needs a set position I hope we do this early.
He was a forward! Who then got some mid time closer to drafting.

Over It Ugh GIF

It's not a gamble, according to your definition, Gruzewski is rated in the 20s by most.

Not on my board he’s not and he sure isn’t ahead of Hotton, George, Barnett and Hayes one will be there at 27. Take one of those, plus there’s Hustwaite too. Plenty of mid sized options we don’t have to take a tall at pick 27

I hope @27 we get Cowan

Then in the late 30s Van Es or a KPF

Then because Cowan goes LTI list

We take 2 rookies (knobel as a rookie ruck here would be awesome) and maybe Bradtke or Lemmey (if he is not picked)

1 cat B (Edwards)

And still have a spot for mid season draft

With our first pick next year we get best player - several great KFP next year - their is about 10 or so really good ones

Hopefully our Clearly is post 20 pick next year

And Cabor is post 40

That way we might be able to move some picks into 2024 also via swap
They had us taking Cowan at 17, now 19. So, I will he will be there at 27?

Not on my board he’s not and he sure isn’t ahead of Hotton, George, Barnett and Hayes one will be there at 27. Take one of those, plus there’s Hustwaite too. Plenty of mid sized options we don’t have to take a tall at pick 27
Ok. Well I have no idea what your basis for selecting players is then. Other than "don't reach, except for mids, but no vanilla mids", "talls never come on as expected", "too versatile, don't like him" or "I care about the ratings until I randomly don't" or "I like taking a risk, until suddenly I don't".

Maybe we can use the Dawk's 2023 3rd rounder to jump back up the order if we include our 27.

Pretty unlikely. More likely we hope he is there at 27, and if not there is that younger ruck someone mentioned the other day we could pick up with our next pick. Can anyone remember his name from a dozen or two pages back?
If we got Hayes and that other young ruck, that'd be a pretty good haul.
I would not be surprised if we rookie Knobel

KB mentioned him in an interview as an example to a point he was making

Also mentioned Barnett first on that point

The other point I wanna make is

Just cause we have 2 potential academy related selections next year

It does not mean we will draft them both

Eventually we will get to the point where we might have multiple academy kids and multiple first rounder academy kids

Or get to a situation where other kids are better than our academy kids at later picks

We gotta be open to the idea of drafting best talent irrespective of anything

I'd be hesitant to use 27 on a ruck even if available .

We need replacements for buddy/Reid.

Realistically a ruck is going to take 5 years to have any sort or impact.

In 5 years time heeney and Mills are In the closing stages of their careers, along with a few others. For me a key forward is of greater importance ( and for the most part influence games much more than rucks). Whilst they still take a while to come on, they are much harder to fund.

Hickey has been the best ruck we have had since Mumford and he was on the scrap heap and hadn't shown much In 12 or so years. Imo we take best kpf available and get a ruck in the latter stages / rookie draft

Ok. Well I have no idea what your basis for selecting players is then. Other than "don't reach, except for mids, but no vanilla mids", "talls never come on as expected", "too versatile, don't like him" or "I care about the ratings until I randomly don't" or "I like taking a risk, until suddenly I don't".

Best available has always been my number 1 policy until we get to pick 40 odd (3rd onwards). Happy to punt at the 3rd onwards. Best available the first two rounds. Think I’ve been very consistent saying best talent available is my philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back