List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I saw that earlier in the week and find it incredulous. They just committed 7 years to Brodie Grundy at $700k per year.
Max Gawn ain't a bad sideshow either. Do they know he is moving to Sydney next year, or what?
Rucks take years to develop, Demons can afford to be patient with what they have. They can use the bait of getting him to train with the two best rucks in the business. Doubt any kid would say no to that.

Reckon you should have a look at his highlights - the kid can certainly tackle.

But in any event, he’s a real long-shot. My gut feel is that we might go for George, noting Kinnear’s “Logan and that’s about it” comment.
A year out with an ACL isn’t great - but we’ve shown recently that we are a club with patience for ACL rehabs.

Yeah, there was a defensive marking contest there which he won. More looking for a Fox type than a rebounding half back, but you do know more about the WA kids so I won't be unhappy.

For me, the "Logan and that's about it" comment lends itself more to KPFs than someone like George. Maybe we're aiming for a smaller forward line with Heeney, HHK and the likes of George, an older Parker as targets, but we seem pretty stubborn on playing 3 talls at the moment, so I don't know if that'll change. To me, then picking up Keeler or Gruzewski would make more sense. Maybe Lemmey with our 3rd if we want to take a risk.

Considering our transition over the past 4-5 years in recruiting and the last 3 or so years in tactics, I wonder if we might be more tempted to move towards a more mobile forward line. We have 2 players in Hayward and Heeney who mark the ball as talls with their good vertical leap. Could we consider George as another player in that mould who could form part of a forward line less reliant on tall forwards.
With the disposal efficiency of our elite ball users we could make more use of medium forwards rather than bomb long to talls. Plus it takes a lot of power away from the intercepting defender types if we can just out work them.
I'm ok with say 2 talls instead of 3, but even with Heeney, Hayward on board, we haven't seemed to move to that model at all, stubbornly so at times.

Rucks take years to develop, Demons can afford to be patient with what they have. They can use the bait of getting him to train with the two best rucks in the business. Doubt any kid would say no to that.
I bloody would, the poor kid would have zero chance of getting on the field for 5 years, when he looks like the type who could play within a season.
Just based on the rumour I'd have my manager on the phone ASAP to dissuade them if I were him.

Yeah, there was a defensive marking contest there which he won. More looking for a Fox type than a rebounding half back, but you do know more about the WA kids so I won't be unhappy.

For me, the "Logan and that's about it" comment lends itself more to KPFs than someone like George. Maybe we're aiming for a smaller forward line with Heeney, HHK and the likes of George, an older Parker as targets, but we seem pretty stubborn on playing 3 talls at the moment, so I don't know if that'll change. To me, then picking up Keeler or Gruzewski would make more sense. Maybe Lemmey with our 3rd if we want to take a risk.
I’m just struggling to recall the last A-grade key forward who wasn’t taken top 20 in the draft.

Rarely does the 2nd or 3rd round produce a quality key forward.

Reckon you should have a look at his highlights - the kid can certainly tackle.

But in any event, he’s a real long-shot. My gut feel is that we might go for George, noting Kinnear’s “Logan and that’s about it” comment.
A year out with an ACL isn’t great - but we’ve shown recently that we are a club with patience for ACL rehabs.

On his highlights Gilbey doesn't look like much to me in terms of upside for senior football. Not particularly big, nor strong, nor fast. Meh

I’m just struggling to recall the last A-grade key forward who wasn’t taken top 20 in the draft.

Jack Darling? Do you count Oscar Allen? WCE have had a couple but you are correct they are rare.

On his highlights Gilbey doesn't look like much to me in terms of upside for senior football. Not particularly big, nor strong, nor fast. Meh
He is very similar to a young Jordan Dawson at the same age.

And whilst he’s not (yet) big nor strong by AFL standards, he is fast, very composed, with an incredible kick.

At the start of this season, he was rated alongside Busslinger and Hewett among the top WA prospects.

Injury and illness screwed his season (Ginbey, Allan and Jones went past him as a result) - but he potential upside in Gilbey is huge ….. although yes, I’m slightly biased as he’s a Claremont boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is very similar to a young Jordan Dawson at the same age.

And whilst he’s not (yet) big nor strong by AFL standards, he is fast, very composed, with an incredible kick.

At the start of this season, he was rated alongside Busslinger and Hewett among the top WA prospects.

Injury and illness screwed his season (Ginbey, Allan and Jones went past him as a result) - but he potential upside in Gilbey is huge ….. although yes, I’m slightly biased as he’s a Claremont boy.

If we are looking for a risk-reward pick him and George are surely in the top couple

Do we need an A grade, Coleman challenger though? Ben Brown (47) and Jack Darling (26) have been capable of kicking a stack of goals. Logan, the best of Amartey/McLean, and someone capable of 30-40 odd goals is maybe going to have to do.

I just don't know what we expect. We're not going to get one of the best KPFs at the draft again in a long time. If we're hoping to be up the top for a while, the best we'll be able to do is cobble together picks to maybe get us to around pick 10, but which time if there's gun KPFs around, they'll be gone (or we'll end up picking a mid anyway). We couldn't even get up the board to be in a position to get Jefferson (we probably had other targets anyway). We're also not in a position to win the big names at the trade table without COLA either.

Without going through a long rebuild with heaps of high picks, we're just not going to get the prized KPFs. So you do the best you can. Our 2nd best KPF this year, where we made a GF, was Reid (pick 38).

I bloody would, the poor kid would have zero chance of getting on the field for 5 years, when he looks like the type who could play within a season.
Just based on the rumour I'd have my manager on the phone ASAP to dissuade them if I were him.
Couldn't agree more. If I was ranking clubs in terms of ruck needs, Melbourne would be right at the bottom. Them trading up to get one to sit in the VFL for 5 years would be truly bizarre.

Couldn't agree more. If I was ranking clubs in terms of ruck needs, Melbourne would be right at the bottom. Them trading up to get one to sit in the VFL for 5 years would be truly bizarre.
As Gawn gets into his 30s, would expect him to play more forward, opening up some limited ruck minutes. Barnett also impresses going forward, so they in a year or two's time, could play him as a fwd/ruck, Gawn the same, and Grundy as main ruck.

It’s taller than usual at least thought you’d be happy lol
I think a bit deeper than going "oh he's 190cm, therefore he's a tall". We need an actual ruck, and actual KPPs. Ideally someone like Gruzewski would be a little bigger, but at least he's peformed as both a lockdown defender and as a forward target.

I think a bit deeper than going "oh he's 190cm, therefore he's a tall". We need an actual ruck, and actual KPPs. Ideally someone like Gruzewski would be a little bigger, but at least he's peformed as both a lockdown defender and as a forward target.

We will take one plus a KPP as a Cat B in Edwards

All the clubs in front of us are in a position to take a risk with him. I'll be shocked if he's still available come our pick

Depends there are still some talents there, Hotton, Cowan, etc.

via BloodySwan above, can't reply to just a quote.

View attachment 1563582

I'd love Barnett, but doubt he lasts to 27, was ecstatic he got to 20 for us, but well. Hustwaite more of a need than any of the medium forwards, outside mids or flankers. Key defender is less of a need than ruck or KPF, but outside of Barnett, Keeler or Gruzewski (the latter 2 probably available at 27) there's not a lot on offer there. So we may just grab one of the medium or tall defenders at 40. Hotton would be tolerable, but not what we really need. O'Hehir sounds like a half back/outside mid, again not what we need. Fine with getting someone like that with a rookie pick, as long as we grab a ruck before or after then.
Realistically, who of the teams ahead of us tonight do you think will take him? GWS have three rucks in their mid 20's with AFL experience and a clear need for a small/med forward, West Coast have Nic Nat, Bailey Williams, Hugh Dixon (FWIW i think they are most likely), Essendon have a gun young ruck in Draper, North have Goldstein with Xerri as the heir apparent and the Bulldogs have English and Sweet (and Lobb). I think he lasts until pick 27 and will be there for us if we want him, unless another team trades up ahead of us to get him. Collingwood I could see possibly doing it, also Melbourne have been mentioned as interested.

Melb just signed a project ruck as a cat B player

They could do with another ruck though. They have 3 on their list, Gawn, Grundy and this kid but I think they'll more likely pick one up through the SSP

Jack Darling? Do you count Oscar Allen? WCE have had a couple but you are correct they are rare.
Bruce Ben Brown - I don’t think one of the Carlton forwards was taken top 20

Also some of the GWS and Brisbane

But they were in comprised drafts etc

Hawkins J Brown but they were father and sons etc

Plus remember a lot of high draft pick talls are duds

Look at two no 1 forwards of GWS - Patton and Boyd

Also Hogan has not been super successful for a no1

Etc numerous top 10 talls get delisted or just become mediocre players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad