Preview 2022 Rd 17 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday July 10 @ 4:40PM - Team Post #655

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I expect Bossy to make a statement - especially towards players not playing their part defensively.
Durdin might not survive and Motlop might but I've given him another week, due to his defensive efforts.
I would expect our coaches would demand more consistency and leadership from players such as Newnes. No more excuses - that was really poor on Friday night, both defensively and offensively. Cerra is very luck and will survive.
I'd also swap Cottrell for Setterfield, as I believe he does well playing wing. If he brings a more offensive side, as in attacks the goal mouth more, he would be ideal. I'm not sure that will happen at this moment.
IMO - If Martin is fit, he plays. He creates and makes things happen. Is a dangerous option up forward for us.

In: Weitering, Owies, Martin
Out: Honey, Newnes, Motlop(unlucky)

Newman Young Plowman
Saad Weitering Docherty
Walsh Cripps O'Brien
Martin Curnow Fisher
JSoS McKay Durdin
TdK Kennedy Hewett
Cerra Owies Kemp Cottrell
Setterfield

This team looks better balanced and skilled through the wings and flanks. Let's see if the coaches agree.

Not sure why people are calling for dropping
  • Motlop - (3 goals) a small forward that can hit the scoreboard is exactly what we have been screaming out for, since young Betts, Garlett & Yarran...
  • Kemp - Played on resting ruckman giving 10+ cms in height... He conceded less goals than Plowman who played on the smaller 188cm Membry...
Not sure either will be dropped this week...

I don’t think he attended one centre bounce knee was heavily strapped he didn’t look right to me.His kicking was off also hindsight maybe another weeks rest would have been advisable

Was his knee strapped like that at start of match?
Seems strange he picked up a knee injury while having a few weeks off to recover from hammy tightness??

I don’t think he attended one centre bounce knee was heavily strapped he didn’t look right to me.His kicking was off also hindsight maybe another weeks rest would have been advisable
Yep not one centre bounce. Find it odd they brought him back to play wing while also playing Newnes, Obrien and Cottrell.

The reason Voss wants to play all of Cotts, LOB, Newnes, Cerra is the lack of overall 2 way runners and that might not change on a bigger WA ground

Motlop won't be dropped, Durdin's pressure was fine, so too Honey but struggled to get in the game

Still think the changes will be simple

In: Weitering Owies
Out: Honey Setters

Sub Lucky dip

The reason Voss wants to play all of Cotts, LOB, Newnes, Cerra is the lack of overall 2 way runners and that might not change on a bigger WA ground

Motlop won't be dropped, Durdin's pressure was fine, so too Honey but struggled to get in the game

Still think the changes will be simple

In: Weitering Owies
Out: Honey Setters

Sub Lucky dip
I tried the 'lucky dip', and put numbers of all available players on pices of paper, and then drew one out of a hat. Picked 9...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine when Motlop gets more fitness. Certainly shown enough tricks for mine and seems to have the right attitude.

Bored so wanted to do a little ladder predictor.

After this round I think we can safely rule out Port and GC who are 2 games outside the 8 with 7 games to go. GC hit by injuries too.

Bulldogs a slim chance given they have a tough remaining fixture. They are capable of getting on a hot streak, they'll need English and even Bruce back to be a threat. Unlikely.

Melbourne, Geelong, Brisbane and Freo are locks on 44+ points.

That leaves 5 teams battling for 4 spots. Collingwood and Richmond virtually locks given their form and fixture.

I think it comes down to 2 spots for us, Sydney and Saints. Those 2 teams are a bit flaky, so if I had to put money on it I'd back us to make the 8.

I just updated my predictor and us finishing 8th, a game ahead of 9th WB.

Two games and percentage off Richmond at 4th.

Playing freo week 1 away.

Couldn't be much worse other than not making it.

Positively, if we can beat melb or Geelong and get revenge on the Pies...we could go to 4th still.

Small forwards are only as good as the pressure they exert and ability to impact on maintaining territory - part of that is stopping easy exits. People focus on goals but I see them as outcomes of team pressure and an ability to execute in congestion as far as smalls go. Teams that allow for permanent joe goose loose smalls as permanent fixtures - good luck with that.

The team has gone from no small forwards to a handy bunch in Honey/Owies/Durdin/Motlop - I dont count Fisher as he is being played as genuine high HF link man - I don't know what Martin's role at Carlton is anymore tbh- so much concentration on Charlie and Harry he gets few aerial opportunities and few touches - but he is a good finisher close to goals and has amazing core strength for his size.

Honey/Motlop and Durdin are still climbing the learning /experience curve- we missed Owies smarts and positioning in the last couple of games - but Honey was instrumental in generating a couple of goals through his core strength and speed and ability to win had ball close to goals and give off . Durdin was quiet- whoever was on Sinclair wasn't.

I don't see Honey as the automatic out for Owies - space will suit him and good luck to defenders trying to match his speed off the mark and strength.

Weitering comes back in hopefully - but as I suspected last week Boyd was the huge out for us against St Kilda - Newnes isn't a natural defender he is much better on a flank has a tendency to panic a tad back there - I don't understand how Voss didn't send Newnes to wing when he sent Cottrell to HF to cover for Hill that was the natural move.

Plowman - well I'm only holding to him as a starting player atm due to the outs we have. Not a good sign for Stocker that he didn't get the call up tbh.

Newman has been absolutely immense in defense for us for months now - really under rated player by too many on here - Young has grown into a starting player - irrespective of who becomes available down the track IMO.

West Coast are definitely better than the wreck covid and injuries had them in at the start of the year but if we are serious we should still be winning this game.
They will get Kennedy back but missing McGovern, Sheed and Yeo.

For us we get Weiters back (thank god) and I don't think Owies should be an automatic selection but the coaches seem to think he is.
I am unsure how the outs will work as Voss has usually made a statement after our losses this year.

My guess
IN - Weitering, Owies
OUT - Newnes, Honey

Newnes replaced in the back 7 by Weitering, Plowman to play small - Weitering/Young/Kemp to Kennedy/Darling/ruckman

It's not who you play. It's when you play them.

Certainly would have preferred to get West Coast earlier in the year when they had no players and our injury list was under control.

Now they have most of their players back and we have a huge injury list.

This game starting to look more like a 50/50.

Forget talk of thrashings. I'll be happy to just take the 4 points at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back