Autopsy 2022 Rd 4 Listless Blues Smacked On the Gold Coast

Who played well for the Blues in Round 4 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This was when Teague would sack the young blokes and play his mate cohort. There needs to be a statement but selective;

Out: Fisher, Newman, Plowman, O'Brien, Boyd, Cripps (hammie)

In: Dow, Stocker, Kemp, Durdin, Pitto,

No more walk up starts, insipid performances need to be called out. Somehow Owies and Martin survive, but those 50's in the third eventually cost the team the game
I’m a big wrap for Kemp but he’s not doing much at VFL level.

I'm sorry but I just can't let the Chol thuggery go.

Multiple punches followed by a brutal elbow.

The MRP will come out with a soft one week suspension and it'll fly under the radar.

He should be given a Gaff like suspension.

Horrible performance. Big review required for this game BUT it is not alarm bells yet. We are still 3-1 (think most would have had us 2-2 at this point). Have had forced changes every week and lost our captain and our best player in the 1st. Game was lost in the midfield which they dominated due to Witts (exacerbated with Pitt out). Hopefully get a few players back this week and bounce back next week at the G'.

Felt De Koning got an unfair grilling tbh
Tends to happen when people build up unrealistic expectations of a player. When the player fails to live up to them they pounce. A young player who is still developing and at least a couple of years away from being able to assume first ruck duties on a regular basis, IF it happens at all. He may end up being an upgraded version of Levi which would work too.

Just want to make one comment in defence of TDK...

Yes he got absolutely destroyed, but Witts is a unique proposition in the ruck. There's the big-bodied dour types like Nankervis, Pitto etc, and then there's Witts, right up there in a division all of his own. He is that big and that strong.

So although he got flogged today, that doesn't necessarily mean it will happen against all the bigger rucks. It was an extremely hard day for TDK and he would have felt embarrassed out there at times, hoping he can fight back hard next week.

IN: O’Mac, Stocker, Durdin, Pittonet, Dow*

OUT: Young, Setterfield, Fisher, Fogarty, Cripps*

Lucky to survive:
Cerra
Martin*

Good today: Silvagni, Docherty, Saad. Literally everyone else putrid.
I'd give plow another chance with big Omac coming in, but we are definitely missing a medium/tall defender for 3rd up.
I'd love to see Parks find some form.

Poor selection and game strategy is to blame for a lot of this result.

Going to humid GC with an undersized HB as the sub instead of an inside mid rotation was genuinely dumb. Exactly what I was trying to say over the last week, Dow should have been immediately into the 22 as an extra rotation due to the conditions and in the event that we lose a mid (was bound to happen at some point). It was the obvious move all week, I was genuinely shocked when Dow wasn't selected.

We were never going to win the ruck contest to needed to stack the midfield with our best contested players to at least stop the ball from coming out easily. We would have only won a low-scoring gritty midfield battle today with the ruck mismatch we were facing, but we tried to complete in an open game instead and got pantsed since we were also down an marking interceptor. Baffling decisions, allowing the midfield battle to be open against a good clearance team with a much better ruck, and having no stop-gap in the event that we lose the clearance by not playing an interceptor.

Really bad selections this week, we matched up very poorly.

We’re still pretenders unfortunately until we back up our performance week after week. We just made the Suns look like a good side. Embarrassing to say the least. Our system and lack of urgency completely let us down.

Huge pressure now on next week as this undid much of our good work this season. Hopefully we swing the axe and make a few earn their spots in the side.

Out: Cripps inj, Fisher, Plow, Setters, Martin, Fog
In: Dow, Motlop, OMac, Stocker, Durdin, Pittonet

Cousin usually always tells me that he's not confident "but we'll give it an honest crack."

After Pitto was a confirmed out he said they'd beat us because our MVP was out and Witt woule get a free run.

Sure enough Witt gave Weller and Noah the ball all day.

With Cripps out I'm not shocked at the result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a positive note, I thought Boyd showed some good composure when he came on and used the ball well. Hope he gets another game, he at least tries to provide some meaningful overlap run.

Plowman is a genuine millstone around the neck of the defence. Doesn't intercept mark, doesn't provide any run, doesn't want the ball in his hands. Yes he provides good defensive contests at times but he's not a modern defender. I feel since he's come back in we've looked a lot less sound back there.

TDK tried hard but is clearly not up to the #1 ruck role yet. Don't want to criticise him too much -- he is where he is with his development, it's not his fault he was thrown in the deep end today -- but I certainly hope this puts to bed any of the TDK #1 Ruck commentary around here for the rest of the year.

Hard to put too much blame on our forwards and backs when our midfield was so poor. Add to that the typical Metricon-humidity fumbling and skill errors, several of which handed goals to the opposition on a platter, and it was just an ugly game.

No need to panic just yet. Will be shocked if we are as bad as that again next week.

Anyone else have a dreaded feeling all weekend that this sort of game was
Coming? Then it did.
Yes but Gold Coast have been playing well and against good Opp. This was not the Gimme game that everyone has been suggesting, but I'd have thought we'd have taken it a bit more seriously than we did and still play hardball. Mr. Hyde Vossy really needs to come out. The Honeymoon is well and truly over.

Don’t think we’ll be dropping anyone and making statements. Just make the right changes and back the system. There is no need for panic yet.

Stocker for Boyd, Pitt for Fogarty, McDonald for Young. Cripps the other obvious out.

Hmmm...

Of all the weeks to lose Pittonett, this would be about the worst, or the worst behind Melbourne. TDK at the moment is an almost footballer, and he does his best work ahead of the ball, not around it; Pittonett has also a habit of winning a clearance or two himself once the ball hits the deck, where TDK gets lost and goes to ground the moment one looks at him. Jack is more than serviceable as a second ruck, but not against Witts he's not.

Then, you have the hard tag on Miller, but the failure to get the back arm on just so many tackles. See, we're not a high tackling team and so 66 tackles looks pretty good, but how many times did they get a handpass off when they shouldn't have? Rowell and Walsh as a matchup is ****ing stupid; way to negate Walsh's best attribute, his endurance and his gut running by having him trying to outpower the strongest player on the park now Cripps is subbed. Swap the tag around, and all of a sudden Rowell isn't feeding Anderson and they're less clean in their exits.

Disposal issues in dewy conditions. If I were Luke Sayers, in about three weeks I would be taking no small amount of issue with scheduling games against the Suns away in the late afternoon/night. Best case scenario: one team plays out of their skin as far as ball handling goes (tonight, the Suns did) while the other team goes to water; worst case scenario is both teams can't handle the ball, and it becomes a 'first to thirty wins' match. It's worse than pelting rain, because then at least the ball gets hard enough to stick.

If I were Michael Voss, our players would not see a dry ball again this season. This is Australian Rules footy; you need to be able to pick up a wet ball. If you can't, the twos are playing decent footy and you'll fit right in.

But the truly troubling part about this is that, after all the hubub at the conclusion of last season, our injury issues continue. We had 8 Carlton listed players out there in the reserves. We lost Durdin and Pittonett in the leadup, and Cripps during the game. Gov is down.There's a level of reasonable expectation that comes into play when we talk about how it's unlikely you're ever going to get your best 22 out there at any given time, but are we going to get anywhere near our best 15 players out there at any given time?

Now, this should take nothing away from GC's performance. This would be inside their best 5 performances ever, from a team performance across 4 quarters and from playing against conditions. They have every right to be happy with how they played today.

I'd be very interested to go over the game with an umpire's representative, so they can tell me how on EARTH we managed to win the free kick count, and what exactly constitutes advantage so that we can successfully play on, because there were a number of fast breaks after we were awarded frees that were pulled back because 'no advantage' despite there being very, very clear advantage.

Anyway, we return to Melbourne and lick our wounds, and hopefully come up with a better kicking game to work with when we're getting smashed round the ball.

Yes he got absolutely destroyed, but Witts is a unique proposition in the ruck. There's the big-bodied dour types like Nankervis, Pitto etc, and then there's Witts, right up there in a division all of his own. He is that big and that strong.

So although he got flogged today, that doesn't necessarily mean it will happen against all the bigger rucks. It was an extremely hard day for TDK and he would have felt embarrassed out there at times, hoping he can fight back hard next week.
Good post.
I think posters were annoyed with his outcomes, not his effort - you could see he did try all day, but 80% of what he did was pretty ugly and not helpful for the team.

In defence of TDK, Witts would have smashed Pittonet as well.. but TDK was not the reason Touk Miller and Anderson walked the ball out of every clearance with zero pressure from our kids.. that came down to a lack of effort and a group of players far too reliant on Cripps and who have got used to being down hill skiers.

There is no excuse for Jack Martin, he must be the most over rated player in the comp.

Doc & Saad tried there guts out, the rest need to have a good hard look at themselves.

Witts is a great ruck, but I’m struggling to see which rucks TDK could actually compete against?

He doesn’t strike me as a natural ruckman and relies on a lot of luck to win hitouts.

It puts our whole stoppage setup out of wack every time he inevitably losses the tap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Rd 4 Listless Blues Smacked On the Gold Coast

Back