Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL makes e-sports like money on the draft
On draft night itself, sure. But it makes a non-trivial amount of money from all the build-up and discussion and articles and debate throughout the year. You can find draft-related articles and videos, supported by advertising, pretty much all year round on the AFL website.
And the less indirect benefits are big - keeping people engaged with footy well into cricket season.

On draft night itself, sure. But it makes a non-trivial amount of money from all the build-up and discussion and articles and debate throughout the year. You can find draft-related articles and videos, supported by advertising, pretty much all year round on the AFL website.
And the less indirect benefits are big - keeping people engaged with footy well into cricket season.

The draft is a fizzer. The league has tried various formats & gimmicks, only a few people care and they can’t give it away to broadcast channels

It can’t figure out how to make it work, and not for a lack of trying

In the NFL, the gold standard, people engage because people watched those players in college, and the draftees will make an immediate impact to their team. The stakes are enormous

The exact opposite of here. It’s never going to be money spinner with such public disinterest, and people won’t ever care about random names they’ve never really watched or rooted for, who are years away from really making an impact

The draft is a fizzer. The league has tried various formats & gimmicks, only a few people care and they can’t give it away to broadcast channels

In the NFL, the gold standard, people engage because people watched those players in college, and the draftees will make an immediate impact to their team. The stakes are enormous

The exact opposite of here. It’s never going to be money spinner with such public disinterest, and people won’t ever care about random names they’ve never really watched or rooted for, who are years away from really making an impact
I wonder if they went down the track of a national U18 comp where all teams had a U18 side and games were played as curtain raisers to the main games. Sure it would cost a fortune to set up but it would allow all clubs to have a group of youngsters to play and get national attention and maybe make the national draft at seasons end for places on main AFL lists more interesting because we get to see the kids week in week out leading into the main game.

There are probably many different ways something like this could work in terms of how players can get onto clubs U18 lists. Just a thought

I wonder if they went down the track of a national U18 comp where all teams had a U18 side and games were played as curtain raisers to the main games. Sure it would cost a fortune to set up but it would allow all clubs to have a group of youngsters to play and get national attention and maybe make the national draft at seasons end for places on main AFL lists more interesting because we get to see the kids week in week out leading into the main game.

There are probably many different ways something like this could work in terms of how players can get onto clubs U18 lists. Just a thought

No one cares. No one would watch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard Darren Jarman is making a comeback.
Not quite sure that's the type of big body you mean though.

One of my best mates played for North Adelaide. He often talks about his days under Andrew Jarman, when Darren would take kicking drills, station himself in the centre of the ground and, off one step, lace blokes out on the tit like he was shelling peas. They don’t make ‘em like Darren anymore.

One of my best mates played for North Adelaide. He often talks about his days under Andrew Jarman, when Darren would take kicking drills, station himself in the centre of the ground and, off one step, lace blokes out on the tit like he was shelling peas. They don’t make ‘em like Darren anymore.
Arguably the best kick in the modern era

Draft will always be a fizzer.
Fact is there's no hype because nobody knows who these kids are.

Its not like the NBA or NFL where you've followed these dudes for 2-3 years at college level before they make a pro team.

Correct .....most don't even watch the State League comps, so watching U18's is a fantasy

I actually think people would be more likely to watch the U18s if it was marketed properly.
At least you're seeing the next crop of stars, not the ones that didnt make it (state league).

One of my mates played under Andrew. Said the same thing. He then became a runner and was suspended for 3 games for hitting a South Adelaide player.
Saw him at a Norwood game and said the fruit hasn't fallen far from the tree 🤣🤣

I actually think people would be more likely to watch the U18s if it was marketed properly.
At least you're seeing the next crop of stars, not the ones that didnt make it (state league).

It’s a good point. We still have the Sanfl, WAFL and VFL vying for attention. Ideally we have a national u20 prior to draft and get people focused on the talent coming through

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back