List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be quite annoyed if he leave tbh. Spent so much time developing him to be a consisted AFL quality Key forward, going through his ups and downs. Now, when we finally have got him where we want him to, he might leave. In saying that, l understand if he wants to leave just because of the money, but l don't see why we wouldn't match the number of years or give him at least 4 years or so. He isn't going to be delisted or anything.

Considering our shortage of KP types and especially if McStay does decide to leave. And the fact that we won’t have much of a draft hand this year.
I wonder if there would be any interest in trying to get Charlie Comben in, apparently we had some interest a couple of years ago when he was out of contract. He still has one year to go on his current deal and he isn’t getting game at North.
Not sure if that is due to injury though.
Heard he is looking at getting out.

Got more Brownlow votes than the number of games he played. BuntonRules :thumbsu: .
My grandmother grew up in a milk bar/shop on Brunswick st in the 30's. Late Saturday mornings the players would come in after work for their smokes and snacks etc before the game. Bunton, smallhorn, ruthven etc. One of her stories involved bunton and how modest he always was. Apparently walking off the ground after the final game of the home and away season one year he made an out of character throwaway comment to the umpire about doing well enough to get some brownlow votes which would have guaranteed him another medal. Umpire took it the wrong way and didn't give him any when all the papers gave him best on ground. At that stage brownlow votes were published each week so everyone knew what was going on.

Considering our shortage of KP types and especially if McStay does decide to leave. And the fact that we won’t have much of a draft hand this year.
I wonder if there would be any interest in trying to get Charlie Comben in, apparently we had some interest a couple of years ago when he was out of contract. He still has one year to go on his current deal and he isn’t getting game at North.
No.

My grandmother grew up in a milk bar/shop on Brunswick st in the 30's. Late Saturday mornings the players would come in after work for their smokes and snacks etc before the game. Bunton, smallhorn, ruthven etc. One of her stories involved bunton and how modest he always was. Apparently walking off the ground after the final game of the home and away season one year he made an out of character throwaway comment to the umpire about doing well enough to get some brownlow votes which would have guaranteed him another medal. Umpire took it the wrong way and didn't give him any when all the papers gave him best on ground. At that stage brownlow votes were published each week so everyone knew what was going on.
That was a story my Dad told me. I always thought it was just Dad embellishing everything about Bunton like he did about Bradman and Phar Lap. The 3 heroes of the Depression era.

But no one could work out how Bunton didn't get votes in that game which would've given him 4 Brownlows.

That's just so weird to hear that explanation over 80 years later.

Small world. Thanks for that Soren.

After Fullarton's game on the weekend I've got a bit of hope for him as a 3rd tall when injuries hit. I still think it's more than likely Dan stays but if he were to leave we would still have a Daniher, Hipwood, Fort tall forward set up with the mot dangerous small forwards in the game so I don't think it's a huge issue. If Fullarton can build on his game I like him as depth in that position as well. Still need a young developing key forward at some stage but I don't think it'd be a huge hit to our window if he were to leave.

I saw him as a ruck prospect only.

After Fullarton's game on the weekend I've got a bit of hope for him as a 3rd tall when injuries hit. I still think it's more than likely Dan stays but if he were to leave we would still have a Daniher, Hipwood, Fort tall forward set up with the mot dangerous small forwards in the game so I don't think it's a huge issue. If Fullarton can build on his game I like him as depth in that position as well. Still need a young developing key forward at some stage but I don't think it'd be a huge hit to our window if he were to leave.
I quite like Tom Fullarton and think he is pretty hard done by on here at times.
I think Prior is showing how hard it is to perform at AFL level with just a game or 2 here and there. With a run of games he is really showing how good he can be.
If Fullarton and Payne and Dev and these guys were given the same opportunity they might grow into the guys we are searching for.

I quite like Tom Fullarton and think he is pretty hard done by on here at times.
I think Prior is showing how hard it is to perform at AFL level with just a game or 2 here and there. With a run of games he is really showing how good he can be.
If Fullarton and Payne and Dev and these guys were given the same opportunity they might grow into the guys we are searching for.

Even when you are in contention, you have to regenerate.

That's very true.

Too many players get written off on the basis of a few games where they're given a role ,they get nervous ,don't want to stuff up ,and it inhibits their abilities.

Look how long it's taken Rayner to look like a good player. Some players are given the years to develop. Others get given one or two chances and they're gone.

That's very true.

Too many players get written off on the basis of a few games where they're given a role ,they get nervous ,don't want to stuff up ,and it inhibits their abilities.

Look how long it's taken Rayner to look like a good player. Some players are given the years to develop. Others get given one or two chances and they're gone.
Like Connor Ballenden.
Played 3 games of AFL and then delisted.
Now might get redrafted in the MSD.
If he gets the opportunity, I hope he gets the opportunity, if you know what I mean 😭

Don’t think we are in a position to offer Mcstay 600k plus tbh . Whilst he is a nice player I think clubs will be coming hard for players like Bailey when he is out of contract so we want to have some dollars aside for him .

I actually think we could turn andrews into forward leading out of the goal square . As good as contested mark in the game and leave hippy and Daniher to roam up the ground . I’d then have Payne to fill andrews spot . Obviously this isn’t our best option Mcstay forward is that but not sure our cap can afford to pay him turbo bucks .

I do like the two ruck, or forward ruck/ruck forward set up.

But, stating the obvious, you need the right players for such a set up.

I did like Fullerton’s game on the weekend. He crashed packs, or floated across and took some good contested marks, which has always been his weakness. He’s very good when the ball hits the ground, he’s good below his knees and has fast hands.

But he’s better suited playing up the flanks than out of the goal square.

Looking around at other clubs, I really don’t see anyone who would realistically be available that I’d be that keen on.

I do like what we’ve seen from Lane this year, he’s really come on much faster than I expected.

Going forward, I would hope Lane and Fullerton continue to develop, to be our next ruck and forward ruck pairing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've re-signed Henry Smith so he could be a KF prospect who could play deep.

McStay didn't set the world on fire either when he started. Smith could be our investment for long term.

Anyone available in the short term who could replicate some of what McStay brings to the table? Linking play and crashing packs? I was screaming for us to get Jack Hayes in last year's drafts and he would have been the best replacement I can think of, but now he's taken.

Just don’t see it with Fullerton just looks way to soft . And always a step behind the play . Maybe that will develop with more game time but just don’t think he has the natural contested side or the mongrel to compete at this level .

Just don’t see it with Fullerton just looks way to soft . And always a step behind the play . Maybe that will develop with more game time but just don’t think he has the natural contested side or the mongrel to compete at this level .
I would have agreed, based on last year’s performances, but he played a much better game on the weekend. I’m not ready to say he’s a better player just yet, as I’d like to see more from him at AFL level, but that’s unlikely if McStay is back this weekend.

Don’t think we are in a position to offer Mcstay 600k plus tbh . Whilst he is a nice player I think clubs will be coming hard for players like Bailey when he is out of contract so we want to have some dollars aside for him .

I actually think we could turn andrews into forward leading out of the goal square . As good as contested mark in the game and leave hippy and Daniher to roam up the ground . I’d then have Payne to fill andrews spot . Obviously this isn’t our best option Mcstay forward is that but not sure our cap can afford to pay him turbo bucks .
I think Mcstay is a very much wanted or important cog for our movement.
His ability to take those down the line boundary marks is right up there with the best as well as his kicking ability once he has marked.

That's the way we play and as in the last few weeks we have missed him in that role, of course compounded by Joes absence as well.
The Hawks probably outmarked us all over the field , I know , Adams comes back in down back solves that area, but we need Dan marking on the boundary especialy if we continue to play territory football instead of possession footbal.
Could this be a role for Fullortan as that marking forward that works the wing, ( would you call that a half forward's role?)
Is he mobile enough , what's his field kicking like, I have really only what I've seen to go off, maybe ,so a ?

I have said before imo we need to work on our running game as well , so would like to see more overlapping run in our game , but I'm guessing Fages is more than happy to keep us playing the way we move the footy, maybe with a consistant high pressure at each contest.
That will get us a win against most teams until we come across someone that outmarks us and runs away with the footy.
Broken record right.
So yes I think at this stage he is up there for team performance.

I have said before imo we need to work on our running game as well , so would like to see more overlapping run in our game , but I'm guessing Fages is more than happy to keep us playing the way we move the footy, maybe with a consistant high pressure at each contest.
That will get us a win against most teams until we come across someone that outmarks us and runs away with the footy.
Broken record right.
So yes I think at this stage he is up there for team performance.
We don’t really have the players to play a proper running game. Generally you need players who can run fast and are good kicks.

Out of defence, usually Starcevich and Answerth are playing an accountable, defensive role, so aren’t always in position to be involved in the beginning of a chain.

Rich lacks the leg speed to run through the opposition, so usually kicks to target.

Which leaves Coleman as our only defender who could be the first receiver in a running game.

Inside the midfield, we only really have McCluggage and Zorko who can run past opponents.

Neale and Lyons are only options if they’re open and in acres of space.

Rayner is similar to Rich, while he’s got that burst of power to break packs and tackles, he’s not running from arc to arc as a hand ball receive option.

We’ve got the players on the outside to be weapons, but our system requires them to hold their width, but we do utilise them in such situations as much as possible.

Ashcroft is very, very good at being a run and carry option from defence to offence. You can already see this at NAB league level.

So to Fletcher on a wing. But he often doesn’t get used enough by his team at U18 level. The next development for him will be to see if he can put on some size to play inside.

Anyone available in the short term who could replicate some of what McStay brings to the table? Linking play and crashing packs? I was screaming for us to get Jack Hayes in last year's drafts and he would have been the best replacement I can think of, but now he's taken.
In my view, you pay more for McStay to pardon the pun stay at the club and not let hime leave. Key forwards dont grow on trees partculalry those with over 100 games and goals. IF it means a smaller player has to leave, so be it, they are easyier to replace. Ive probably harped on to much about Dan but Im desperate for him stay such is his importance I think.

We don’t really have the players to play a proper running game. Generally you need players who can run fast and are good kicks.

Out of defence, usually Starcevich and Answerth are playing an accountable, defensive role, so aren’t always in position to be involved in the beginning of a chain.

Rich lacks the leg speed to run through the opposition, so usually kicks to target.

Which leaves Coleman as our only defender who could be the first receiver in a running game.

Inside the midfield, we only really have McCluggage and Zorko who can run past opponents.

Neale and Lyons are only options if they’re open and in acres of space.

Rayner is similar to Rich, while he’s got that burst of power to break packs and tackles, he’s not running from arc to arc as a hand ball receive option.

We’ve got the players on the outside to be weapons, but our system requires them to hold their width, but we do utilise them in such situations as much as possible.

Ashcroft is very, very good at being a run and carry option from defence to offence. You can already see this at NAB league level.

So to Fletcher on a wing. But he often doesn’t get used enough by his team at U18 level. The next development for him will be to see if he can put on some size to play inside.

Ashcroft , yes please then, come on down.

I would have agreed, based on last year’s performances, but he played a much better game on the weekend. I’m not ready to say he’s a better player just yet, as I’d like to see more from him at AFL level, but that’s unlikely if McStay is back this weekend.
Fullarton played very well on the weekend. Better then I seen him at VFL level.
He marked well and did not get pushed out of the way.
If he continues that form in the VFL and works on it he could be a lot better player.

McStay showed things from when he started I think people forget.
looking highlights 2014

In my view, you pay more for McStay to pardon the pun stay at the club and not let hime leave. Key forwards dont grow on trees partculalry those with over 100 games and goals. IF it means a smaller player has to leave, so be it, they are easyier to replace. Ive probably harped on to much about Dan but Im desperate for him stay such is his importance I think.
Not at the expense of loosing a Bailey or starcevich in my opinion . They are both becoming elite .

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back