List Mgmt. 2022 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe not excepting our best one to jump ship
I don’t really buy this excuse. Tarrant told them he wanted out before trade period. They had trade period, draft, rookie & SSP to address the lack of depth.

They also knew he was disheartened by the hub, yet proceeded to play hard ball with him.

Regardless, Tarrant is mid 30s, well past his best (Richmond supporters think he’s a liability) and even if he stayed, our future back 6 would still be in all sorts.

So instead of acquiring an inside mid in Brodie that fits our list profile, we obtain Greenwood who has 2 seasons in him?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He wasn't even on the cards at that point. We were just going to pass brodie all together

I don’t really buy this excuse. Tarrant told them he wanted out before trade period. They had trade period, draft, rookie & SSP to address the lack of depth.

They also knew he was disheartened by the hub, yet proceeded to play hard ball with him.

Regardless, Tarrant is mid 30s, well past his best (Richmond supporters think he’s a liability) and even if he stayed, our future back 6 would still be in all sorts.

His attitude was disappointing if reports from the hub were correct. Probably should have moved him on then.

A bloke like McDonald stepped up as a leader. Tarrant sooked.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the acquisition of Greenwood and losing Cunnington both really close to each other?

I like Brodie and the hope was he was just in need of a new home but I thought it was logic at the time we weren't bringing in new mids who'd shown nothing in their current system and MacPherson was at least a body in an area of need. Put it down to missed opportunity for sure but it's not ridiculous we didn't want to make that gamble.

His attitude was disappointing if reports from the hub were correct. Probably should have moved him on then.

A bloke like McDonald stepped up as a leader. Tarrant sooked.
Mate I respect you but please stop spreading that crap about Tarrant. It's fair for people to say that he's past it, etc. I get that. But people who know nothing of the contract situation disparaging the bloke is pretty ordinary.

We need reinforcements there for 2023 onwards. Tarrant is better than Walker, but one year of either is making no difference from then onwards.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the acquisition of Greenwood and losing Cunnington both really close to each other?

I like Brodie and the hope was he was just in need of a new home but I thought it was logic at the time we weren't bringing in new mids who'd shown nothing in their current system and MacPherson was at least a body in an area of need. Put it down to missed opportunity for sure but it's not ridiculous we didn't want to make that gamble.
The fact it was coming with pick 19 was a no brainer. We desperately needed that pick.

The fact Brodie has gone on to average 31 possessions adds salt to the wound.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The fact it was coming with pick 19 was a no brainer. We desperately needed that pick.

The fact Brodie has gone on to average 31 possessions adds salt to the wound.

I get that and I was surprised at the time that we weren't linked to Brodie once even though he was the one that ended up in the deal but flip side if we were in Freo's position (especially having just lost a highly rated mid) I'm sure we could have made that gamble. Maybe we would have had Cunnington's issues were a known quantity earlier. It's Brodie he's doing well, it's equally nice MacPherson can't get out of the VFL.

I get that and I was surprised at the time that we weren't linked to Brodie once even though he was the one that ended up in the deal but flip side if we were in Freo's position (especially having just lost a highly rated mid) I'm sure we could have made that gamble. Maybe we would have had Cunnington's issues were a known quantity earlier. It's Brodie he's doing well, it's equally nice MacPherson can't get out of the VFL.
I would of taken a NEAFL player for 3 years if it was attached to pick 19...

McPherson will be delisted at years end. Dickhead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would of taken a NEAFL player for 3 years if it was attached to pick 19...

McPherson will be delisted at years end. Dickhead.

McPherson gave up. He’d rather see out one more year then sit on a beach in Surfers . Fair play I guess. Beats getting your arse smacked in Franga on a Sunday night.

North should genuinely consider trading their first round pick this year (assuming it's top 5~) for an established player.

I said it last year before we solidified the #1 pick and that meant JHF, but I would love NMFC to make a genuine push to bring Harry McKay over to North from Carlton to play with his twin Ben.
If we keep this crap up for the next 18 months it will be Ben joining his twin Harry..

Another huge turnover coming up I would suspect. I've counted 10 blokes that probably won't get another contract at year's end:

Aaron Hall
Jed Anderson
Josh Walker
Kayne Turner
Kyron Hayden
Lachie Young
Matt McGuinness
Patrick Walker
Todd Goldstein
Tom Lynch
Atu Bosenavulagi

I'd personally consider giving Lachie Young and Atu another year, but wouldn't be surprised if that didn't happen.

We're a bit bare in the draft pick department arent we?

Depending on Cunners we might keep Jed for another and i could live with Young, Hall and Atu get an extra year.

It seems we're building our list from the inside out (midfield first, then work out). I'm personally a believer in the total opposite, but both can work if done properly.

This will naturally mean our list will look much stronger in the midfield than anywhere else, and that make sense when you watch on matchday, where we are often matching it or winning it at stoppages, and then looking lost after that.

The puzzling thing is how you enter a year as skinny at the key defender position as we have.

I think we did the right thing, although we may have handled a pick different if we knew we'd get JHF.

We had Larky, Mckay and the club had big raps on Chom (rightly so). We could spend picks doubling up on what we have or going for very hit n miss rucks early. I think building the middle out which we 100% needed and seeing how our talls develop a bit is the right path, then target the right talls via FA when we know exactly what we need.

Need to look at guys not getting games and or guys with injury issues that we can get on the cheap
We need to stop looking for a pot of gold out of other club rejects and start to looking at trying to improve the players we actually have.

We can bring in 10 million players, but if we don’t have the right coaches to develop them, then we are just adding more list cloggers.

I refuse to believe that just about very player on our list is just a spud, I am now starting to think that there are deeper issues like our coaching group.

For whatever reason for many years now our development of players has been up there with the worst in the league.

We have seen new coaches come into system with lists that are hardly choc full of talent and they are playing good competitive footy on the back of good structures and a sound gameplan. I can’t even decipher what our game plan is and the structures are a dogs breakfast.

I don’t expect us to rack up wins but I expect to see something that resembles an AFL Football side. I actually think there are VFL sides out there that would have a fair chance of beating us at the moment.

It will only get better when we can actually start to see some form of improvement. Real improvement in game style, intent, skill level etc. not this fictional improvement that the club is attempting to con us with to keep us interested. To do that you need a quality coaching group.

We can talk about players from different clubs as much as we want, but until we sort out the current mess the list is in, it’s all just a big waste of time.

We can’t expect to delist 10 players a season and improve, it’s just not feasible. It’s also not great for your club culture.

You could argue that the biggest place of investment this club should be making at this stage of a rebuild is in player development. Can we confidently say we have the right people at the club to develop this group?

Last edited:
He was on less $$$ than my man Brodie, and we seen a need for more pressure in our forward line.

To be fair not a lot of people would have predicted that Brodie would’ve had such a resurgence considering his output at GC, but ive always been adamant he would be an elite inside mid if he was allowed to freely hunt the footy. Obviously had a big pre-season at Freo too, because his fitness is on another level compared to when he was on the Gold Coast.
Who knows in our system Brodie might have turned out to be a massive flop and we would be lamenting another wasted deal.

Our record of bringing players into the system and turning them into AFL quality footballers is actually appalling.

CCJ is the perfect example. Looked Like something to work with in the Richmond setup and on current form with us looks like a potential list clogger.

Name the last North recruit that has come into the system and played to a high level standard? I am going back as far as Higgins and Dal Santo, and let’s be honest they didn’t really require any development.

Paul Ahern was another talented footballer that we turned into a massive shittruck. There is a fairly long list of players we have brought in from other clubs that have turned into busts.

We need to stop looking for a pot of gold out of other club rejects and start to looking at trying to improve the players we actually have.

We can bring in 10 million players, but if we don’t have the right coaches to develop them, then we are just adding more list cloggers.

I refuse to believe that just about very player on our list is just a spud, I am now starting to think that there are deeper issues like our coaching group.

For whatever reason for many years now our development of players has been up there with the worst in the league.

We have seen new coaches come into system with lists that are hardly choc full of talent and they are playing good competitive footy on the back of good structures and a sound gameplan. I can’t even decipher what our game plan is and the structures are a dogs breakfast.

I don’t expect us to rack up wins but I expect to see something that resembles an AFL Football side. I actually think there are VFL sides out there that would have a fair chance of beating us at the moment.

It will only get better when we can actually start to see some form of improvement. Real improvement in game style, intent, skill level etc. not this fictional improvement that the club is attempting to con us with to keep us interested. To do that you need a quality coaching group.

We can talk about players from different clubs as much as we want, but until we sort out the current mess the list is in, it’s all just a big waste of time.

We can’t expect to delist 10 players a season and improve, it’s just not feasible. It’s also not great for your club culture.

You could argue that the biggest place of investment this club should be making at this stage of a rebuild is in player development. Can we confidently say we have the right people at the club to develop this group?
Hey man did you know we turned over the list? I keep being told we turned over the list.

Don't question any of those decisions, or our development, or our game plan, or our structures, or our list management. Don't compare us to other clubs with similar list turnover.

Just know that we turned over the list. And we need to keep turning over the list. More list turning overing will get us out of this hole.

In ten years time we'll still be nowhere, going "we need to cull 33 year old LDU, the 30 year old Tom Powell and 30 year old Will Phillips, and then bring in a few fourth round 18 year olds. Then in 5 years we'll be right as rain. Just wait."

Sorry for the hyperbole and exaggeration, and I'm being a bit cheeky towards posters who are good people, who I get along with, and who are thoughtful and considered. I'm just a little bit over being told that we turned over the list and that singularly rules out all the other stuff we're seeing that is extremely worrying. And then we keep turning it over until the players coach and develop themselves into three peat hall of famers.

Those of us who are criticising list management decisions, development, structures, game plan, selection, coaching decisions, etc. Absolutely know that we have turned over the list and have low expectations accordingly. It's the fact that we haven't even met those low expectations and appear to be visibly regressing compared to late last year that we're looking for ALL reasons why this rebuild might be going off track.

Building a successful side isn't just about buying all the ingredients from Coles and throwing it in the oven. You've got to do all the right things with those ingredients to get the cake you want, and sometimes you can get a damn good cake even if you're missing an ingredient or two.

Now I'm hungry.

Last edited:
Any George Hewett types at the end of the year that will be open to us in free agency? A cheap, mature player that can plug a hole.

Use the rookie drafts and SSPs for mature talent, teams such as St. Kilda and Fremantle have mature aged players picked up such as Jack Hayes, Sam Switkowski, Lachie Schultz and Callum Wilkie.

Kinda disgraceful list management how we haven't really done anything with the rookie drafts and SSPs over the past few years but instead rookie players who we know wouldn't make it like Will Walker, Kyron Hayden and Jared Polec.

Any George Hewett types at the end of the year that will be open to us in free agency? A cheap, mature player that can plug a hole.

Use the rookie drafts and SSPs for mature talent, teams such as St. Kilda and Fremantle have mature aged players picked up such as Jack Hayes, Sam Switkowski, Lachie Schultz and Callum Wilkie.

Kinda disgraceful list management how we haven't really done anything with the rookie drafts and SSPs over the past few years but instead rookie players who we know wouldn't make it like Will Walker, Kyron Hayden and Jared Polec.
My main concern is that if you're a player manager, and a guy who is 25-26 or whatever comes to you and says "what about North?"

You're saying no, unless we pay significant overs or give out a very long and secure contract. Because there's every chance that contract is your player's last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back