List Mgmt. 2022 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the idea of getting more top 30 picks.

But have a look at how those picks are got. Trading mid career good players like Shiel and lol Polec.

This is the worst part of the list.

Do you trade the #1 pick for 3 picks inside 30 if Brady sees depth?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Zurhaar is the only one with that kind of currency. And he's one of our few blokes who actually attack the ball.

We're not turning this around without free agency. And we'll struggle with that because few will want to come to us.

Last edited:
Go to the draft, and draft best available, whether that’s midfield or Key position. As I’ve said 5,000 times we need to get creative to get more picks inside the top 30. Split picks, use futures, I don’t care how it gets done but it needs to happen the next two years. At minimum we need 8 picks inside 40 the next couple of years. If the kids don’t have some sort of leg speed do not draft them. The game is based on movement more than ever and we have had a history of drafting blokes that either can’t run or can’t run fast enough.

Use the rookie draft to pick up a couple of young-ish mature role players. Physical hard running types that can take the pressure off our younger developing players. Players that are proven at the level below but could still develop into AFL players. Players like:

Nathan Freeman (mid)
Mitch O’Neill (mid)
Tom Lewis (mid)
Ryley Stoddart (half back)
Casey Voss (half back)
Dyson Hilder (key position player)
Mitch O'Neill looked worthy of another chance after what he did at South Adelaide last year. Surely he'll be picked up in the MSD this year.

Agreed. Mundy and Hurn are the two I came up with to bring in as leaders mostly because they hold skill sets we haven't got or had in a long time.

Mundy works hard both ways, and he'd be hitting Larkey, Zurhaar on the tit. If he isn't, then I'm sure he would give them feedback as to what they need to be doing for their mids to give them a chance.

Hurn because we haven't had a good defensive organiser in forever. As bad as West Coast are, their intercept game is still pretty good, and he's above average in almost every key stat.

They're very very short term fixes but I think they'll give our blokes something that they can't get from playing with guys their own age, or our current leaders.

We still need to target the Pearce, Grimes, types for longer term holds. Picking up some older blokes for no draft capital to replace some of our current not-gonna-make-it types would do wonders for us I reckon. They may only play a year but the effect would be felt for more.
Grimes would be a similar pick up to Hurn. He would be 32 by then, so would still have a bit in the tank. He is Richmond's general and a very good reader of the play and organiser.

If we end up with the number 1 pick again and best available is a mid, we need to start thinking about who we are trading from the current group or if we can trade down for 2x top 10 picks, a player and a top 5/10 pick etc etc

The Will Phillips pick looking baffling as it stands list wise. Not saying he won't be good, just that we would be better balanced at present if we went kpp.

2017 draft - LDU(4), Sleevo(6)
(2020)
2018 draft - TT(8), Taylor
2019 draft - 1st traded(8)(Serong picked)
2020 draft - Phillips(3), Powell(13), Lazarro
2021 draft - Hornet(1)
2022 draft - (1) best available

Is there a comparable midfield with as many high end picks in the league?

Freo - brayshaw(2), Serong(8), Brodie(9)
Sun's- rowell(1), Anderson(2), others??

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

we can do a few things in the next couple of months

1. Retire lynch to open up a msd pick 1
2. Put polec on inactive list to open a second MSD pick
3. Fill the Remainder 2 cat b spots (tassie indigenous players or some Irish jet) on 6 month contracts if they show something extend it otherwise cull at years end

2017 draft - LDU(4), Sleevo(6)
(2020)
2018 draft - TT(8), Taylor
2019 draft - 1st traded(8)(Serong picked)
2020 draft - Phillips(3), Powell(13), Lazarro
2021 draft - Hornet(1)
2022 draft - (1) best available

Is there a comparable midfield with as many high end picks in the league?

Freo - brayshaw(2), Serong(8), Brodie(9)
Sun's- rowell(1), Anderson(2), others??

Nope. Plus Cunners (no.5) and Simpkin as first rounders. The midfield is done. If they're not confident that they can get the group of blokes you mentioned to perform at the level required for us to win a flag then I'm seriously concerned.

It's time to address other parts of the ground.

Last edited:
Zurhaar is the only one with that kind of currency. And he's one of our few blokes who actually attack the ball.

We're not doing turning this around without free agency. And we'll struggle with that because few will want to come to us.

We may…SHOULD… be in a position to overpay some FAs for 2-4 years.

Throw 4 years at MCStay? I would. $$$

Massive go at Angus Brayshaw with promise of mid role? 100%

Kane lambert? Absolutely. $$$

Jayden short? Give him something to think about $$$ Hell yes.

Bailey dale? $$$

We have to attack based on what we can offer. Money and any role they want basically.

We may…SHOULD… be in a position to overpay some FAs for 2-4 years.

Throw 4 years at MCStay? I would. $$$

Massive go at Angus Brayshaw with promise of mid role? 100%

Kane lambert? Absolutely. $$$

Jayden short? Give him something to think about $$$ Hell yes.

Bailey dale? $$$

We have to attack based on what we can offer. Money and any role they want basically.

Do you seriously think any of these players would want to come to North?

FA’s don’t come to clubs that are a mess. They usually look for an opportunity to move to a club that can play finals and win flags.

You might get the odd one by massively overpaying, but long term does that really achieve anything?

FA’s don’t come to clubs that are a mess. They usually look for an opportunity to move to a club that can play finals and win flags.

You might get the odd one by massively overpaying, but long term does that really achieve anything?

All are long shots. But we have to be opportunistic. Like greenwood.

Maybe Brayshaw gets the shits with no time in the guts. Maybe Richmond gives heaps to Bolton or balta and short gets the shits.

We need something to help the young fellas through.

Poor cunners has bigger challenges. Brown and taz left. Polec has failed. Young walker and turner are deep reserves, at best.

This part of our list is terrible.

All are long shots. But we have to be opportunistic. Like greenwood.

Maybe Brayshaw gets the shits with no time in the guts. Maybe Richmond gives heaps to Bolton or balta and short gets the shits.

We need something to help the young fellas through.

Poor cunners has bigger challenges. Brown and taz left. Polec has failed. Young walker and turner are deep reserves, at best.

This part of our list is terrible.

I would think there is a 5% chance of us landing a decent FA, that’s how big the mess is.

Players will not want to come to a side that is getting belted by 10 goals a week.

This team has no identity and is currently the laughing stock of the AFL.

Put in the same situation would you come to North? I know I wouldn’t if I was a professional footballer.

Nope. Plus Cunners (no.5) and Simpkin as first rounders. The midfield is done. If they're not confident that the group of blokes you mentioned to perform at the level required for us to win a flag then I'm seriously concerned.

Pretty much where I'm at list wise too

To be fair, a few of them players have won flags so MIGHT be enticed, but as you said, we are just so far off it we look like a basket case at present

Nope. Plus Cunners (no.5) and Simpkin as first rounders. The midfield is done. If they're not confident that they can get the group of blokes you mentioned to perform at the level required for us to win a flag then I'm seriously concerned.

I kind of agree with you.

But I see lots of similar types. All bulls not a heap of gut running.

If Sam Walsh’s twin was the best player in this draft, I’m taking him.

True. If that's the case then we offload one or find another position for them to play in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pointless when the ruck and all 3 mids are going for the ball at the same time leaving their opponents to spread un pressured.

I would think there is a 5% chance of us landing a decent FA, that’s how big the mess is.

Players will not want to come to a side that is getting belted by 10 goals a week.

This team has no identity and is currently the laughing stock of the AFL.

Put in the same situation would you come to North? I know I wouldn’t if I was a professional footballer.
I dunno dude, if we can offer a million more over three years than what they’re currently on, that’s a decent holiday shack or apartment added to their investment portfolio. It’s still business.

I dunno dude, if we can offer a million more over three years than what they’re currently on, that’s a decent holiday shack or apartment added to their investment portfolio. It’s still business.
But does that solve the mess or just create a bigger one?

Overpaying for players when you are in rebuild mode is a dangerous pathway.

I get that you might overpay for the missing piece that could win you a flag, but the reality is that even a good FA will not have any impact if the rest of the list is in disarray.

But does that solve the mess or just create a bigger one?

Overpaying for players when you are in rebuild mode is a dangerous pathway.

I get that you might overpay for the missing piece that could win you a flag, but the reality is that even a good FA will not have any impact if the rest of the list is in disarray.
Yeah I agree the last bloke we threw stacks of cash to worked a treat didn’t he

Yeah I agree the last bloke we threw stacks of cash to worked a treat didn’t he
100%

Free Agency is the lever you pull when you are filling those missing pieces of the puzzle.

At the moment we haven’t even got the border of the puzzle built. It’s just a pile of pieces scattered all over the table.

What is damning is, in 2020/21 we delisted a bunch of limited “plodders” in our back 6 - Atley, Macmillan, Pittard, Williams.

We replaced them in the 22 with Bosenavulagi, Young, Scott & J.Walker.

There is more to list management then culling…
Younger and worse with no chance they become better than those B graders.

Younger and worse with no chance they become better than those B graders.
Yep the anti clean out.

Replace bog average players with a bunch of absolute potatoes.

Someone said it in another post, but I would give my left nut to replace Young with Atley. That’s how shit we are.

As for players like Atu, I have NFI what the coaches even see? Can’t defend, can’t tackle, lazy chaser and really doesn’t do anything. Bergman and Goater might be miles off it, but are we really losing anything by replacing a bloke that is better off in McCains factory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back